Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160
Bitter
Casey, I got that Reaper Salsa. I mixed it in with nacho cheese and it's still got a punch to it wooo. It's an effective decongestant.

You'll want to fix up any car you get lol. I just need to figure out what glass polish to get, get the real ceriglass or make my own from powder for a little cheaper or do both, get the ceriglass AND mix in some powder to make it cut faster/easier.
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Nov 19, 2019 - 5:04 PM) *
So help me out here, going to try and get parts for building one on a budget of up to $1500 (PC alone) w/ Black Friday sales coming up.
One of my buddies stumbled upon PC part picker which I liked their build --> https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/Thwrxr/excel...streaming-build

Thoughts on this? Can it be better for the same price?

Goal of the build is to eventually do some VR; but for now the heaviest taxing game I would play is GTAV.

I’ve been happy with my i5, but I chose that four years ago and even then it wasn’t close to new. That setup should run GTA V at max settings, but for headroom and newer games I would do i7 as well.

QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 19, 2019 - 1:52 AM) *
If you’ve got extra RAM laying around, or can order a couple sticks on the cheap, I’d swap them out. First thing I would check if it doesn’t boot up is pull ALL the RAM out and boot it up. It should produce an annoying beep error. If that happens then you know the system will POST (Power On Self Test). Memory can foul up just about everything, so it’s good to have a couple extra DIMMs laying around to eliminate variables such as the actual DIMM, or even a channel on the board.

SSD. Yes. Do it. Get something like the Crucial MX500 or Samsung EVO 860. SSD’s have a finite lifespan in terms of data read/write, but it’s into the hundreds of terabytes, so you’ll be fine. The speed boost alone is worth the price of admission.

I don’t have extra parts laying around, this was my only build and beside the PSU, haven’t had to replace anything, though I want to RMA the card. I never tried to start without any RAM at all, thanks for the suggestion. It was probably a fluke, maybe I made a mistake with the memory installation. I’m not sure if I connected the mobo speaker wire, don’t think I’ve ever heard it.

Also on a side note, apparently I’ve been mounting PSUs incorrectly. I always thought the fan should point up but that’s not the case (ha!).
Box
QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 19, 2019 - 9:55 PM) *
Casey, I got that Reaper Salsa. I mixed it in with nacho cheese and it's still got a punch to it wooo. It's an effective decongestant.

You'll want to fix up any car you get lol. I just need to figure out what glass polish to get, get the real ceriglass or make my own from powder for a little cheaper or do both, get the ceriglass AND mix in some powder to make it cut faster/easier.

Ooh, yes I already killed off my ghost pepper so I could use some reaper.

Yeah probably, but the less I have to do the better. More time to drive again. Though lately I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about going cheap on the replacement car and put the money towards stuff like cute clothes and obnoxiously expensive synthesizers. laugh.gif
Bitter
Ok there, keyboard cat.
Box
But look at it!

That'd bring me way more happiness and enjoyment than an equally as expensive car ever could.
Bitter
I mean I do like a good organ, electric or otherwise. RIP Jon Lord.
https://youtu.be/XFxyY_C9pho hey look a cover of electric organ on a non electric organ. Orgception!

Also I caved and bought another Griots vented backing plate, I never did find mine but since I bought a new one I'm sure I'll find it now! I think the cheaper one I bought has a wobble to it, the Griots is nicely vented and a little heavier but still flexible but in a nicer feeling way. Being vented it won't get hot and ruin pads, as if I could ever run it that hard lol.
Box
Shame, losing lots of the old greats now... Ah yes. I like me some organ too, sadly you're limited to expensive digital ones, expensive analogue ones that're old and temperamental, or old analogue ones nobody wants because they're cheap and cheesy with small manuals. I want to play a cathedral pipe organ one of these days, like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FHNLdHe8uxY
Bitter
Organs are awesome instruments, so under rated and my goodness they can get LOW! Some of those low notes are earth shaking low and you really do need a sub to truly appreciate them.
Box
Since organs are just a bunch of sine waves I've been able to emulate them with my SY77 FM synthesizer, since it'll let you do two groups of 6 sine waves if you want. Sine waves are only one harmonic frequency, which is why they're so bassy. Sub bass is usually pure sine and/or has sine as a sub oscillator. What's really fun to do is on the Bass Station II you can have 3 sine waves at different octaves, and you can make the filter self oscillate to make another sine and track it to the keyboard plus the filter boosts the bass harmonics while at it if you get the cutoff just right. Huge house rattling sound through a 15" woofer. laugh.gif
Bitter
Or car rattling sound! LOL. Gonna bump like it's 1793.
Box
Should make some classical inspired rap. laugh.gif
Bitter
I think that probably exists
SwissFerdi
Hamilton would like a word...

Not touching my computer for a while. Flipped the PSU this morning and swapped to the new cables that came with it. I previously just stuck the new unit in and left the old cables, since I wanted to make as little changes as possible. As the GPU fan is acting up, I thought the new cables may help but no dice. Of course after doing that, I get the self-restarting/no display BS happening again. GPU comes out again because I can’t remove the RAM sticks with it in place as it’s a massive card. Tried to see what would happen with no RAM as suggested, and it kept doing the same thing. Put one stick in a different slot, we’re good, same with the second. I think between moving the tower from vertical to horizontal to work inside and messing with the plugs on the mobo, something is tripping it or the RAM sticks. Either way she runs again, but I am confused and feel like I’m working with a ticking time bomb.
Box
Sometimes it's best not to question things and just roll with it.
Bitter
Ordered the Ceriglass polish, screw it! LOL and a few other items I've been lazy about replacing. Fresh SD cards for the dash cams, high endurance Sandisk 64GB to replace the regular 32GB Transcend ones. Also a second big fluffy microfiber towel for rinseless washing the cars this winter, I'm going to skip a week on mine so I can get hers cleaned up for a trip, or so I keep telling myself but not doing it. Honest, I'm gonna do it! If she could just get a day off where we're both home for ****s sake.
Box
Wooo polish.

Decided I'm tired of music being on the backburner, I'm tired of struggling with equipment I just can't find inspiration in. I'm done, ****ing sick of it. Cried for 2 hours in pure frustration and self hate, before passing out as I wrote this... I just don't care about cars anymore, can't afford what I want to be happy there so might as well be happy in music. Between selling the land yacht and obsolete cheesy gear I should be able to get most everything I've ever wanted.
Bitter
But you need a car to ride around in playin your mixtape.

Finally got around to trying some of that Renfro Reaper salsa straight up, it's very good! Initial flavor is a bit sweet then it turns into a strong heat and smoky finish with a lingering heat at the back of your jaw and sides of your head. I like it a lot!
Box
Too late, I've joined all the other anti car millennials.

Hmm, I still need to find some of the Renfro Reaper salsa. Especially since I killed off the ghost pepper.
Bitter
https://www.renfrofoods.com/ you can buy it direct from them it turns out, not seeing a distributor list on their website but I'm sure you can message them for one to see if there's somewhere local to you.

At least get a golf cart or make your brother take you to TOTD next year in his whatever he's about to ruin
Box
Ahh ok, cool. May just do that, see if they can tell who they're sending the Reaper to.

Surprisingly aside from wheels and tires he's left it alone, well that and the cat back. I dunno, right now I'm just REALLY upset over the music thing... That said it's not anything new, I had wanted to buy an OB-Xa instead of a car years ago when they were still around $3K for a decent one... But there's hope since Behringer is on a vintage synth cloning spree and the OB-Xa is one planned:

Doesn't have the grandeur of the original, but if it sounds the same as the original like their other clones have I'll be happy.
Bitter
You're speaking greek to me now lol.
Box
Behringer has been 1:1(if not better) cloning expensive vintage synths and selling them at fair prices. I've wanted an OB-Xa(huge synth on last page) since I started playing, in fact it's the synth that got me into synths and playing in general. So it'd mean a lot to me to have one, especially since I've desperately searched for another synth that sounds close enough and it's always gotten to me at some level. Now they're $6,000+ for a decent example... so once Behringer finishes their clone(up above) it'll probably be $1,000 or so and I'll finally be able to get the synth that started it all for me. Umm, I guess Shelby Cobra clones etc... is the closest equivalent in cars. As good if not better than the original, but something a lot more people can afford.
Bitter
Got it.

https://youtu.be/u1_dy1EmV6w not sure which is better, that or the acoustic cover of dragon force LOL https://youtu.be/sDfqxLMbWOY they're both awful but the dragon force cover is kind of...cool.
Box
Lyrics and the music don't go together, ha. Ukulele and mandolin for Dragon Force, some odd people you've found. tongue.gif

Ooh, one of the classic Oberheim tracks: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYdQB0mkEU. Can see it and hear it right off the bat.
Bitter
Nice. Speaking of electronics...
I've scored some possible deals on eBay the past two days. An X470 and B450 board for $70 and $50 shipped, decent ones too, but there's a catch. The CPU socket top cover is missing. No damaged terminals in the socket from what I can see, ordered a pair of sockets from China and a cheap compatible CPU as well so I can take parts off the replacement sockets and try to snap them onto the sockets on the boards and boot up the $25 CPU to see if they work. If they don't work out...well that sucks. I'll try to re-sell them I guess? If they do work then yeehaw I get to build myself a modern PC for the first time in a long time. Bye Bye i5 4590 bottleneck!
Box
Wooo fingers crossed!
95CelicaST
Since my workstation is basically a server, finding RAM is a bit of a challenge. ECC Reg RAM isn't particularly cheap, and dual proc boards eat double the amount of RAM.

Scored a 64GB kit for $130, which is when I found that my Proc 1 riser only has provisions for 4 sticks of RAM, versus the 8 slots the main board has for Proc 0.

So now I have 80GB of ram. That should be enough for now.
Box
I want the D!

Behringer does it again, make a clone of a $3,000-5,000 synth and offer more features. Though it is short 7 keys, but I can forgive that all considered. Especially since it should come in around $600-700 new.
Bitter
Get the one with a Bachman Turner Overdrive installed on it.
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 26, 2019 - 12:39 AM) *
Since my workstation is basically a server, finding RAM is a bit of a challenge. ECC Reg RAM isn't particularly cheap, and dual proc boards eat double the amount of RAM.

Scored a 64GB kit for $130, which is when I found that my Proc 1 riser only has provisions for 4 sticks of RAM, versus the 8 slots the main board has for Proc 0.

I’m not even using all 8 with gaming...wtf do you edit/design?
Box
That's a band though. tongue.gif
Box
That's ok I'm stupid, beyond stupid... I sent requests to old friends from new Facebook(under alias atm with real name notated on profile), and they accepted so I sent messages asking how they're doing so inevitably it got to how I'm doing. So I told them everything. The love, support and acceptance had me in tears, that and how much time I've thrown away because of me getting distant towards everyone... Like I knew they probably would; same deal with mom, bff, and all you here... Was still afraid since you never know...

On a similar note apparently my stepsister told my father, and allegedly he's happy for me. So will be going there Thursday, since doing stuff here with mom today.
95CelicaST
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 26, 2019 - 11:15 PM) *
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 26, 2019 - 12:39 AM) *

I’m not even using all 8 with gaming...wtf do you edit/design?

That doesn’t take into account the 6GB of GPU.

Plex server with GPU-accelerated transcoding, photoshop, steam, games, a billion tabs of Chrome, etc.
Bitter
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 27, 2019 - 4:35 AM) *
That's ok I'm stupid, beyond stupid... I sent requests to old friends from new Facebook(under alias atm with real name notated on profile), and they accepted so I sent messages asking how they're doing so inevitably it got to how I'm doing. So I told them everything. The love, support and acceptance had me in tears, that and how much time I've thrown away because of me getting distant towards everyone... Like I knew they probably would; same deal with mom, bff, and all you here... Was still afraid since you never know...

On a similar note apparently my stepsister told my father, and allegedly he's happy for me. So will be going there Thursday, since doing stuff here with mom today.

Just checking in you made it back alive from your family gathering. laugh.gif People are generally less terrible than you anticipate them to be, you seem like good people and despite your **** luck seem to have been able to collect good people around you.

So I caved and bought a CPU new in box with cooler. Something I haven't done since I bought my E8400 Core2Duo that long ago. This will be my first AMD system since my Slot A Athlon 700mhz. I bought an R7 2700X, after weighing the cost difference, discounts, performance difference, and future proofing of getting 8 core vs 6 core I decided the extra $35 was worth it. It came with a choice of one of 2 games and a 3 month Xbox pass which I can also sell off. Just to torture myself I picked the slow shipping for Friday though, which is good because I have no way to mount the cooler and don't have the repair parts for my board yet either and I am NOT going to try to install it on a janky topless socket and risk damaging both board and CPU. I can wait! I need to clean the computer room (yes, I'm old, deal with it) before I can rebuild ANY of my current systems. I think I'll use the water cooled case for this build because I adore that case so much, but I can't decide if I should water cool the CPU or if I should water cool my GPU. The loop in there now can't handle both but I could Frankenstein it to probably handle both with some junk parts from some old appliance I have laying around. How janky should I make this system!? biggrin.gif
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 28, 2019 - 11:59 PM) *

Plex server with GPU-accelerated transcoding, photoshop, steam, games, a billion tabs of Chrome, etc.

If you put it that way, then I’m working with a whopping 11gb. rolleyes.gif I don’t see over 80% RAM (nor CPU, really) usage for my applications, so your setup is still ridiculous to me. What kind of load do you get when you’re running the most intense process? I guess I play lean and rarely run a lot of tabs or applications even.

Bitter, want to see pics of that project.
95CelicaST
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 29, 2019 - 8:45 AM) *

If you put it that way, then I’m working with a whopping 11gb. rolleyes.gif I don’t see over 80% RAM (nor CPU, really) usage for my applications, so your setup is still ridiculous to me. What kind of load do you get when you’re running the most intense process? I guess I play lean and rarely run a lot of tabs or applications even.

This is with Lightroom, two Chrome tabs, and GTAV running via Steam. Not necessarily as hot as it runs when I'm crunching, but an example load on the workstation.

Bitter
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 29, 2019 - 10:45 AM) *

Well I have something of the current config of the Koolance case, it's a little worn in some places but I consider it patina since it's almost as old as my 7th gen Celica. In it now is a Xeon X3470 with 8GB DDR3 1600 and a GTX 950 2GB. I just threw a system into it to make sure it all worked and to work on fabbing a bracket for the Koolance water block. It can do 4ghz across all 4 cores in Prime95 small FFT and do it stable BUT it runs hot like 80C+ and sucks down around 300W+ power to do it. It's a phenomenal amount of power and heat consumed and expelled, I see water temps get around 44-46C running full tilt like that. Luckily the Gigabyte board I'm using has good VRM cooling and I have the rear 80MM fans flipped to blow air at a diverter and across the board so it all stays cool enough to be safe. All that heat and power is pretty **** though, the IPC is weak on first gen Core architecture compared to modern CPU's with modern instruction sets. It's more just for show/fun currently. I'm pretty sure I can effectively cool the R7 2700X even with a slight OC on it. I'd like it to be able to do 4.5 single core and 4.0-4.2 all core without insane power consumption/heat but we'll see. The water cooler is completely ignorant of the motherboard though, the pump is a constant volume and the fans are controlled by the board in the top of the case from the thermistor in the water block bottom. My plan is to either end up gutting the Koolance setup and saving it in a box somewhere and run 3x 80mm Noctua fans from a header/splitter and modern pump with variable speeds through a thicker radiator mounted at the top like it is now or if the pump can do it adding extra radiator to the side of the case with stand offs and some extra 120MM fans keyed to CPU temp. I have an old dehumidifier which has the right tube size to match to the silicone tube I'm using currently. I'm not sure the pump has enough head to run through a long radiator like that one though so I'll probably skip that idea and figure out something else more realistic.
Ye Olde Block.
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/mont...88f202d4983.jpg
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/mont...7353d45e215.jpg
I made some jank mount for the water block but it works well enough, good mounting pressure that's fairly even too. I got a dead board with some RAM and CPU that's good so I used the dead board to fab the mounting and not worry about ****ing things up. I used aluminum stock and threaded rod, ugly but effective.
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/mont...1a7f94261e1.jpg
System with it's temperature responsive LED lighting lol just jammed a LED strip lead into the fan header voltage for the CPU fan and let the fan header run the strip.
https://youtu.be/-oQsggzUO1Q
I also like doing big parts in small cases lol.
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/mont...c7ef7eb4416.jpg
Box
QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 29, 2019 - 9:51 AM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 27, 2019 - 4:35 AM) *

Just checking in you made it back alive from your family gathering. laugh.gif People are generally less terrible than you anticipate them to be, you seem like good people and despite your **** luck seem to have been able to collect good people around you.

So I caved and bought a CPU new in box with cooler. Something I haven't done since I bought my E8400 Core2Duo that long ago. This will be my first AMD system since my Slot A Athlon 700mhz. I bought an R7 2700X, after weighing the cost difference, discounts, performance difference, and future proofing of getting 8 core vs 6 core I decided the extra $35 was worth it. It came with a choice of one of 2 games and a 3 month Xbox pass which I can also sell off. Just to torture myself I picked the slow shipping for Friday though, which is good because I have no way to mount the cooler and don't have the repair parts for my board yet either and I am NOT going to try to install it on a janky topless socket and risk damaging both board and CPU. I can wait! I need to clean the computer room (yes, I'm old, deal with it) before I can rebuild ANY of my current systems. I think I'll use the water cooled case for this build because I adore that case so much, but I can't decide if I should water cool the CPU or if I should water cool my GPU. The loop in there now can't handle both but I could Frankenstein it to probably handle both with some junk parts from some old appliance I have laying around. How janky should I make this system!? biggrin.gif

Family gathering didn't happen(brother had a migraine), but did end up going to dad's yesterday and that went better than expected. Said he loves me and just wants me to be happy, and we talked about when it started for me etc... My brother said maybe he's finally growing up, so who knows maybe things will finally be decent between us.

Hmm... I say Frankenstein: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8f-Qb-bwlU
Bitter
That's probably a big weight off your shoulders, congrats on getting some more family acceptance! I (and I'm sure we all) hope things start looking more up for you from here on out.
Box
QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 30, 2019 - 9:58 AM) *
That's probably a big weight off your shoulders, congrats on getting some more family acceptance! I (and I'm sure we all) hope things start looking more up for you from here on out.

Yes, it is! One less thing to stress out over. Still have external family at Christmas, but here's to hoping. Thanks! Things are steadily getting better, so thats a nice change of pace. My brother finally got ahold of the paint and body guy to schedule the Firebird for Thursday, so get that done finally so it can be sold for synths... I mean a Miata.
Bitter
Load Miata sounds into Synth, make car music, upload to youtube, monetize channel, profit, buy real Miata.
Box
Haha, that could definitely be a new genre of its own. laugh.gif
Box
My brother made me cry, in a good way:

Bitter
Legit thought that was some fancy booze. Also,

Red nails? You basic ass bitch. LOL
Box
Perfume, that smells pretty! The box is cool too.

Lol, they're "red ocean pearl" and are actually more on the magenta side. I thought I'd try some shade of red since I had yet to for a change of pace.
Bitter
I shouldn't talk smack, I've never painted my nails. laugh.gif
Erins hair is purpley-dark red and it looks pretty cool, it's the most awesome looking when the purple is JUST done and it's this metallic sheen purple in the sun, amazing looking!

That's the one she uses. Then we touch up with Arctic Fox Ritual red but she got a purple and an orange from them now too that'll be fun to see. Arctic Fox is only semi-permanent but you can mix it with your conditioner to keep the tint going I guess, and it doesn't smell awful or ruin your hair from over-use.
Box
Yup, Arctic Fox is what I'd used last. Purple Rain, Girl's Night, Violet Dream, and Aquamarine. Which I had it trimmed a couple of weeks ago and it removed most all the bleached hair, of course you'd never know I removed 3-6 inches of hair just by looking at me if you didn't know me. laugh.gif I was going to share a pic, but it looks like I'm showing off boobs and not my hair. laugh.gif
Box
Well, it's the first birthday as the new me... I think for the first time in a very long time, happy birthday will actually be meaningful.
Bitter
Happy Birthday.
bloodMoney
Happy Birthday Casey!

QUOTE (Box @ Dec 2, 2019 - 1:33 AM) *
I think for the first time in a very long time, happy birthday will actually be meaningful.

I hope it's not only meaningful, but that you actually enjoy it too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.