Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Standalone ECU for 3rd gen UK 3SGE with turbo
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
FunkySR
Hi guys. I'm in the process of planning a turbo conversion for my 1998 ST202 with 3SGE.

I'm thinking of ECU solutions and I don't really fancy the FIC this time round.

Question is is there an AEM EMS that I can modify to use? What do you guys think of the new AEM EMS4 universal ECU?

I have searched till the cows come home and no getting anything for the 3S.

Thanks,
J
Smaay
i dotn see and reason the AEM EMS 4 wouldnt work for you.

Im actually considering getting one for my All-Trac
FunkySR
Smaay, can I completely ditch my stock 3SGE ECU, or is it needed for anything else othe car. I'm keeping my air con.

Have a look at this link, I just have one more dilemma. http://www.tweakdperformance.com/onlinesto...;products_id=33

1. If I decide to go with the EMS 4, I will have no need to get a ST205/3SGTE wiring loom. They can just make me a PnP harness for the 3SGE loom.

2. I could change my car's loom for the ST205 which is very similar, but use an MR2 ECU. Now this would have been great if I was fitting a 3SGTE, but seen as I'm boosting my GE, is it worth changing the harness, fitting an MR2 ECU?

3. DIY Autotune have offered to build me an ECU with PnP harness for the 3SGTE so it means I would have to use a 205 harness. They don't have the plugs for my car.

This car is not for race or track. Just simply a weekend car and I don't push my cars hard. Things like anti lag and launch control are just wasted on me.

I also want boost control as part of the map, so all in I would be better off with a standalone than piggyback.

What would you do in my case?

J
Smaay
you are asking good questions but those of inexperience.

1. yes if you go EMS-4 it will replace your stock ECU. you will use the stock harness and make a patch harness that will plug into the stock plugs and then the EMS

2. no point in changing to 3S-GTE. im not 100% sure but lets take the 5S and 3S-GTE for example, they are very similar but very different it terms of ignition and how the ECU interprets signals. Im going to assume that the 3S-GE and 3S-GTE speak different languages.

3. how different are the plugs for your ECU. the 5S and 3S-GTE share the same ECU plugs. in fact those same plugs are on several different cars. post a pic of your plugs. Megasquirt is afine ECU, i have never used one but i havent heard much bad about them. I dont see any reason you couldnt get a hold of a set of ECU plugs and pin them for the MS. their excuse is lame in my book.
FunkySR
Thanks, Smaay.

I meant I had concern that the stock ecu would control the air con. I know a standalone replaces stock, but on many occasions the old ecu runs in tandem to control other functions. My car is not obd2 btw.

The 3sge and 3sgte looms are very similar, but one has a 3 plug and the other has 4 plugs. Most solutions are for the 3sgte which is why I feel like using said loom to save time/money. When I spoke to MS, they said they couldn't provide a PnP solution for my loom as it is now.

Finally, I'm leaning towards the AEM since I can get a base map from them, saving hours in set up time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.