Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just Purchased GT Convertible
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
gbloomer
This is my first post on here. I just came across a 99 GT Convertible for a few hundred dollars and jumped at the chance. At the least it would provide several upgrades for my ST. The interior and the exterior are in pretty good condition(the pictures dont do it justice) the odometer is at 122440. But the engine is seized up, long story short their son took it walmart and they only finger tightened the oil drain plug. It vibrated out and he ran it with out oil till it seized up. Do you think it would be worth it to try and unseize it? Or should I just use it to upgrade my 95 ST and part out what i dont use?

njccmd2002
swap a beams in it and call it a day. easier. faster, no rebuilding...
playr158
pour oil in it and unseize it.

WD-40 and pour some in each spark plug hole. The first time leave it sit for about a week but keep adding the WD-40 every other day. After the week is over take a breaker bar and put it on the crank shaft bolt ( make sure that you turn the way you would tighten the bolt ). Never force it to much. If you can get a large hammer in to tap on the breaker bar. Once you get a little movement work it back and forth. It will eventually turn.
RavenAegis45
thats a great find, I would just say get a junkyard or used engine and swap it in, generally rebuilding a seized engine isn't worth it, most likely the cylinder walls have massive amounts of scouring if they're not cracked
VavAlephVav
I'd agree, even if you can get that motor unseized it no-doubt has major wear damage to the metal cylinders and bearings and ...well pretty much everything else.
a Beams would be nice, but better still is pick up a decent stock motor for it for cheap because lots of people like to take it out and swap in the performance motor, and its also the same from a Camry 2.2L. looks pretty nice and not a lot of miles, I sure wouldn't rape this one to build an ST. just so many more nice little things about the GT.
gbloomer
A couple of weeks before finding this I purchased an engine and trans for my ST down in Houston so most on my time and money have been tied up in that. The GT will have to wait till my funds are back up and my ST has the engine swapped out. The GT has an auto trans so I am thinking about doing a auto/manual swap while ive got the engine out as well.

But till then, here are some pics of the GT home and all cleaned up

njccmd2002
i would sell the ST, and keep the GT. but thats me, and i already did that, LOL
VavAlephVav
and it has a nifty oil bottle stash since it doesn't have an ABS pump! laugh.gif
but you'll need to swap in a stick shift fo sho
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.