Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: breather without catch can
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
skogs
Any problems with this setup?

http://www.jap-spec-performance.co.uk/fitt...s/vrkit-fg.html
mgnt232
QUOTE (skogs @ Oct 25, 2014 - 12:30 PM) *

My catch can is just like that with no issues. Not the right way, but doesn't really hurt anything
Rusty
3.1 Notice just how much oil is in the return hose and intake main hose

Haven't fixed the problem, what you've done now is instead of allowing the oil vapor to be used & burnt off, you now have it venting all in your engine bay.
skogs
Ok, catch can it is then. I dont want the oil to get inside the intake and leave a mess.

Can it end in a breather, or does it need vacuum from the intake?
njccmd2002
yeah, just because a company makes it, does not mean its going to be the best. go with a cool catch can..
skogs
The intake on my old 3sgte with 200 000km was lined with black oily goo. Compared with the new jdm 3sgte with 100 000km thats totally clean.

I don't think its "cool", i just dont want a lot of oil in my intake. No need to get condescending:P
njccmd2002
oh lord, you did not get it right...

If you get a "catch can" make sure you get one that looks cool....
Syaoran
That "catch can" is an air-oil separator, not a catch can. The way it works stock is witch a vacuum on it because it helps pull out gases from the crank case, passes them through the separator, returns oil into the crank case and cleaner air through the intake.

Without a vacuum, its effectiveness is drastically diminished and putting a filter on it just creates a restriction for the air to flow through.
skogs
Sorry, i misunderstood:)

So should the stock air-oil separator be sufficient? Or would it be benificial to either add or replace it with a catch can?
Syaoran
That separator is worth $300-400 for an aftermarket equivalent, and those will still not be nearly as good at doing that function.

I would add a catch can in series, a sealed one with a baffle preferably, and still connect it to the stock turbo intake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.