Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel guage hijinks
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
LuDaChRiS
alright i think my fuel guage is messed or something. i drove to riverside (60 miles) with about a quarter tank left to see how many miles i could go on a full tank (came out to around 370). ok, im driving along. light comes on, i leave it. needle jumps up, light turns off. that happens 2 more times. as i was stuck in traffic with my fuel needle at the E line, i started to panic (plus i really had to take a whiz). So im thinkin about how im gonna have to pull to the shoulder and walk for some gas, the needle jumps back up again. i drive another 3-4 miles to a gas station, thanking my baby for saving me from embarassment.

well anyway, does anyone else have this? where the gas needle jumps up/light turns off when youre close to E?

1bwilson
Do you have gauge faces on? If so you need to trim a tiny bit of plastic off the underside of the needle.
macavely
there is nothing wrong with your fuel guage.. it's just a warning system that your running low.. aslong as you don't see the red gas pump show up then a loud beeping... your fine.
97sccelica
QUOTE (macavely @ Feb 10, 2004 - 5:28 AM)
there is nothing wrong with your fuel guage.. it's just a warning system that your running low.. aslong as you don't see the red gas pump show up then a loud beeping... your fine.

i drove once till i had 1/2 a gallon of gas left, didnt hear a beep sounds like something i should try.

when gas gets low, the angle of the car comes into play, and starting and stoppingmoves the gas around enough to affect the gauge, which has a slow response time.
LuDaChRiS
^^^^ nah no gauge covers

i see what you guys are saying. thanks. maybe next time ill drive a bit longer...
neoklis
QUOTE (macavely @ Feb 10, 2004 - 1:28 PM)

it seems you have run out of fuel so you know. For the last 6 years I have the Curren and now the GT4 but never out of gas. Plenty of times on E though.

Well it seems the needle is affected by the angles. this is due to the fact that the meter is on the left side of the tank. So when you turn sharply to the right the needle goes up for a minute as fuel is pushed to the left side and vice-versa.
wind
i run my car for about 150km with the fuel light on.... by then i have about 2 liters of gas left... little less than 1/2 gallon

the celica's idiot light turns on way too early...what was toyota thinking?

i would rather have it go one with 30km left.... then i know i really need gas! this way i procrastinate and run her close to empty every time... with gas prices going up and down 10cents every couple days i have to wait as long as possible till the cheap prices show up.... its terrible up here! im just gonna cross the border and fill up for now on its way cheaper.... atleast 20cents a litre
shid
I've actually gone quarter of a tank UNDER the last "E" line. So I treat every "quarter" like it's really a 5th.. But I always fill it up when it gets to E. The -quarter of a tank was kinda an emergency.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.