Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7afe help
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
MasterJordansan
I have a na 7afe and I am looking into buying some performance cams and fuel injectors. I know there arent any for this engine so I am planning on buying stock cams and sending them to be ground. What I dont know is what lift or duration to ask for. As far as fuel injectors should I just upgrade to the celica gt injectors? Lastly is my exhaust. I have headers for my car but can't find a single catback system for my car! any ideas? I know people put exhaust systems on their celicas where can I find one? which one will fit?
Jmk91
Well for your exhaust best bet is to buy a cat back off someone on here that has been discontinued or go to an exhaust shop and get one made. Its actually not that expensive. I know 5sfe best size pipping is 2.25 for n/a. Not sure about st.
Smaay
injectors are not going to do anything but hurt your engine unless you have engine management to control them.

you have headers? where are you going to install the other ones?

cams are going to be really expensive and the results are not going to be worth the gain. if you really want performance increase, get a different car, or do an engine swap

Bitter
Turbo the 7A tongue.gif
Box
More fuel only make more power if it all can be burned. Either go with forced induction or do an engine swap. In all honesty you're better off swapping engines or buying another car.
MasterJordansan
Thanks for the advice. As far as turbo goes for the 7a I like it but would rather do an engine swap for that kind of money. As far as other cars go I was thinking about an ae86 or an mr2 but I just love the look of my car so much better. I mean compared to my friend's hondas and subys my 6th gen celica is just more good looking in my opinion. tongue.gif
Jmk91
Well if you get a mr2... If its the n/a you get the 5sfe (another worthless engine) the turbo version isn't that much better stock. Either way swapping them is your best bet. Also on mr2s the n/a transmissions are junk... I think 93+ have the double synchronized in a few gears. I had a 91 mr2 ( most common year to find) had roughly 100k and 2nd gear was shot. Prime quoted me 4k for a 3sgte swap 4th gen for my 6gc gt vs 5k for a 91 mr2. Also gotta be carful if you choose mr2... The steering isn't the greatest I put mine in a ditch at 50 mph. Well 50mph is when I was going sideways haha than it just went right into a ditch. Thank god no damage was actual done just had to get pulled out by a tow truck and got a ticket because the cops seen my tire tracks and knew I was driving wrecklessly... I took the same road in my Miata faster with no issues. I lost control of my mr2.
Box
That's just because you don't know how to drive a mid-engined car. tongue.gif

Look into Smaay & Friends 1MZ swap if you want to keep the Celica and make it faster.
MasterJordansan
I was thinking if I was going to swap to do the 4agze. I like how it will just bolt right in and I wont have to do a whole lot of extra work. I would like the 4age 20v but I live in Ca US and the onyl ones that will smog are the 16v's. So i decided the supercharged one? or would the other ones be better performance wise? considering I'm just looking for a fun street car not a super car. More in to low end torque fast off the line sort of thing.
Jmk91
QUOTE (Box @ Mar 12, 2015 - 2:01 PM) *

Look into Smaay & Friends 1MZ swap if you want to keep the Celica and make it faster.

Nooo its due to the mr2s oversteer haha.
Box
QUOTE (Jmk91 @ Mar 13, 2015 - 1:27 AM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Mar 12, 2015 - 2:01 PM) *

Nooo its due to the mr2s oversteer haha.

Thanks for solidifying my point. tongue.gif
Box
QUOTE (MasterJordansan @ Mar 12, 2015 - 11:07 PM) *
I was thinking if I was going to swap to do the 4agze. I like how it will just bolt right in and I wont have to do a whole lot of extra work. I would like the 4age 20v but I live in Ca US and the onyl ones that will smog are the 16v's. So i decided the supercharged one? or would the other ones be better performance wise? considering I'm just looking for a fun street car not a super car. More in to low end torque fast off the line sort of thing.

Sorta kinda not really. I had looked into the 4A-GZE when I had my ST and it was a lot more involved than you'd think it'd be. Plus out of the box it makes only a little more power than the 5S, so would have to go more involved to make it worthwhile. Where as with the 1MZ there's about as much as you'd ever want in a FWD car of the Celica's size and weight. There's a reason it's catching on the way it is.
Noahwhite2014
QUOTE (Box @ Mar 13, 2015 - 2:43 AM) *
QUOTE (MasterJordansan @ Mar 12, 2015 - 11:07 PM) *

Sorta kinda not really. I had looked into the 4A-GZE when I had my ST and it was a lot more involved than you'd think it'd be. Plus out of the box it makes only a little more power than the 5S, so would have to go more involved to make it worthwhile. Where as with the 1MZ there's about as much as you'd ever want in a FWD car of the Celica's size and weight. There's a reason it's catching on the way it is.

If i wanted to go with a v6 id have to get recon since i live in hawaii, which is really annoying... So if i ever get enough money (id need a new daily since id be swapping to manual so keep track of costs here lol) and enough balls to do a swap myself, 4 cylinders is all i can do without requiring recon which I'm sure my car wouldn't pass for multiple reasons frown.gif But i was thinking a 7agte 20v would be really sweet and wouldn't require recon.
Box
Probably the thing to do would be to get a manual GT and drop in a 3S-GTE or BEAMS, all the groundwork has been done and it'd be simpler than trying something one-off.
Smaay
if you are in CA, then the ONLY legal swap is a 5S-FE or 1MZ. the 16V is too old an engine
MasterJordansan
Where could I find out how to do the 1mz swap? and since I'm in Ca even the 3sgte swap wouldnt be legal?
Box
Being in CA the only options are the 1MZ/3MZ. Go under the "My Project" portion of the site and find the threads of Smaay, Lamont, and Kurt.
MasterJordansan
Have been looking further into swaps. would the 2zzge w/ 6speed tranny be legal/worth? it comes in the newer celicas so it should be legal for CA right?
Noahwhite2014
QUOTE (MasterJordansan @ Apr 2, 2015 - 5:20 PM) *
Have been looking further into swaps. would the 2zzge w/ 6speed tranny be legal/worth? it comes in the newer celicas so it should be legal for CA right?

Isn't the 2zz tranny mounted on the wrong side of the engine (compared to ours)? I'm not too sure... or was it the intake/exhaust on the wrong side..?
Smaay
ugh!!!!

the 2ZZ trans is on the same side, however the intake is on the front instead of the back like the 5S and 7A, That means you have a header in the back, right where your steering rack is. the 2ZZ is an awesome engine but it is not a feasible swap for a 6th gen.

the 3MZ ONLY came attached to automatic transmissions and its Drive by Wire. Im using a 3MZ engine but im controlling it with a 1MZ computer. you can do the same setup but its a little more expensive.

a 1MZ is a very simple drop in swap. search the forum man, i did a 1MZ swap in a ST last year. I documented everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.