Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which is more Feasible
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
qatar11
well kids, have at it...
Uppitycracker
out of curiousity, whats different about the convertable when swapping? Rigidity?

I voted import a GT4, thought I dont think its possible at this time in the states?
qatar11
QUOTE (Uppitycracker @ Feb 16, 2004 - 7:34 PM)
out of curiousity, whats different about the convertable when swapping? Rigidity?

you nailed it!
SpedToe169
goddamnit, I clicked the wrong button and null voted....anyway, I was voting for the AWD conversion on a USDM celica.
boosted_K2
its gunna be a race between whos going to sift through the miles of paperwork to find the right loop holes and who out in cali or FL is willing to swap their Vert.
BigEdge169
Making the chasis more rigid is definetly going to be the easiest thing to do out of everything on the list, that's why I voted for the 3sgte convertible.
R-03
i voted for the awd conv. neverstop got close, so that's worth alot. someone with a bit more $, or resources could just take the next step and complete it. we'll see, the convertable 3s would be pretty cool too.
celicagt94
2jz

go ahead

*awaits flames*
boosted_K2
this topic will be flame free wink.gif reguardless what happened in the other similar thread biggrin.gif
macavely
i voted for Importing a GT4 cause all you need to do that is money... pay for everything to get bought ,shipped, legalized and your on the road no problems.. all the other options take more then just money to acomplish (if your doing it your self)
Cody
Making a 110HP, front wheel drive car AWD will just make it slower...
Andason
registration will be the last, why do you think dude couldnt sell his car for 14,000. id would have snatched that in a HEARTBEAT if it was legally registered.

im guessing he got it and was like crap, this is impossible
FallenHero
I said AWD conversion. If you have the parts off of a GT-4, and you have a hatch back, all you have to do is install what is needed.

Jon
GeEkBoY
5 more long years and I can legally register a 94 JDM GT4 up here in Canada biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Kwanza26
Heh... I accidentally voted AWD, so change mine to Convert 3SGTE. I personally don't believe in messing with the chassi on street cars, also considering most people drive their Celicas on a daily basis. As for the 2JZ/AWD conversions... well, that's been covered and I've voiced my opinion. I personally think the Convertible chassi can handle the extra torque of the 3SGTE even without major structural modifications... even though I'm not a real fan of convertibles. As for legalization of the ST205... will probably not happen is CA or NY... but elsewhere, it would have my vote.
qatar11
QUOTE (Cody @ Feb 16, 2004 - 9:25 PM)

Um..... that conversion would include the 3SGTE motor
boosted_K2
QUOTE (Andason @ Feb 16, 2004 - 11:31 PM)
registration will be the last, why do you think dude couldnt sell his car for 14,000. id would have snatched that in a HEARTBEAT if it was legally registered.

im guessing he got it and was like crap, this is impossible

its because it was brought here as a show/race non-registerable car. its completely different bringing a car here for track only, and bringing it here for legalization, its very hard to bring something and have all the paper say "track purposes only" then go get it registered. if you bring it here as street transportation theres different laws involved.
Hym3n
so I guess it'd be totally out of the question if someone were to import a GT4, have it turned into a convertible, get a 2JZ in, AND make it AWD.. eh? biggrin.gif

-Brian
qatar11
QUOTE (Hym3n @ Feb 17, 2004 - 6:16 AM)
so I guess it'd be totally out of the question if someone were to import a GT4, have it turned into a convertible, get a 2JZ in, AND make it AWD.. eh? biggrin.gif

-Brian

Should I add that to the poll?
Chrobis
QUOTE (Hym3n @ Feb 17, 2004 - 5:16 AM)

-Brian

the gt4 is already AWD... so i doubt they would make it AWD again...

I think that it would be the AWD conversion, if anyone really set out to do it.
NEVERSTOP
i voted for the awd conv. neverstop got close, so that's worth alot. someone with a bit more $, or resources could just take the next step and complete it. we'll see, the convertable 3s would be pretty cool too.

I got it to run for a couple months.. just it pulled really bad to the side at high speeds cuz it was misaligned.

QUOTE (Cody @ Feb 16, 2004 - 9:25 PM)

Um..... that conversion would include the 3SGTE motor

LOL biggrin.gif

I was under the assumption that the converts had the strongest support of all the 6gc's but could be wrong there... I don't think it would be too hard.. reinforcing a car is pretty simple to do wink.gif
hostile43
if you are a g.i. you can import the gt-4 if you're stationed in Europe and japan. the thing is that you have to sign some waver form that saids you will not sell it to any one.
Digndoug
couldnt you just get a gt-4.. then get an old pos celi, then reg that, then take the tag's and even the vin and put o the gt-4.... oh yeah i guess the whole thing about right side driving, do they make a gt-4 with left side driving? cause that would work, even if you got pulled.... they would really only find out if you got into an accident.... eaither im incredibly smart or incredibly stupid..
slipgun
Already been discussed, problem are vin numbers, and its still not legal because the emissions out of the vehicle are not legal, therefor the car is not legal. Thats a way to trick the law to thinking you dont have one, not making the car legal
obi1kinob
Sorry to bring up an old topic but I'm trying to search for answers to my questions.

"reinforcing a car is pretty simple to do"

Simple for you guys but impossible for my newbie mind. What is necessary to make a convert 6gc rigid enough for the 3sgte? After reading about rigidity problems and peoples turbos blowing up (is this true?) I'm seriously reconsidering and leaning toward a 3sge instead. I want to go to work and back with this thing but I want to pick up chicks on the way too.

At first all I wanted to do was exterior work, but girls are getting smart and figuring out what some of that **** under the hood really does. Damn feminists for leading the way. (joking)

Once again,
1) How can I make the convertible more rigid, how much will it cost?
2) Is the 3sgte worth it for my situation? I want it fast but I'm not into racing.

Though if I was challenged I'd be much more willing to accept if I had that 3sgte.
BenMMellor
Ok I still fail to understand why you guys aren't allowed a GT4.. all the chassis are pretty much the same so if the ST and GT have passed tests then surely the GT4 woud pass the same tests. Surely it then comes down to emissions.. In most cases a japanese engine is very efficient on emissoins tests as the Japanses have the strictest emissions laws. As I've commented before why do the american emissions tests have to be so strict agains the Jap carswhen you have 4ltr engines and these jap engines are only usually 2ltr and a lot cleaner... ?

The emissions between a 3SGE and 3SGTE are not massively different..
5sfeTurbo
I vote HEMI 5.7L of LOVE!!! nah ummm i would say import the real deal.
jgreening
I am in the process of gathering information for a 3sgte swap in my convertible. I have been in contact with ASC (American Sunroof) which is the company that chopped the coupe and made it a convertible. Hopefully, I will have some information to post soon. I hope to find that the structural modifications that they did will go along way to addressing ridgity problems, but we'll see.... Either way, I am leaning toward some custom sub-frame connectors like in the URL below. I have a quote of $350 from a local race shop to custom fabricate something similar for the celica. Also, bulletproof sells some bracing which looks promising. See URL below. My thought is that the side tower braces, front strut tower brace and the subframe connectors will be more than sufficient. I will keep you all informed....

subframe connectors

Bulletproof Automotive 6gc suspension modifications
boosted_K2
QUOTE (Digndoug @ Feb 20, 2004 - 7:15 PM)
couldnt you just get a gt-4.. then get an old pos celi, then reg that, then take the tag's and even the vin and put o the gt-4.... oh yeah i guess the whole thing about right side driving, do they make a gt-4 with left side driving? cause that would work, even if you got pulled.... they would really only find out if you got into an accident.... eaither im incredibly smart or incredibly stupid..

you missed the point. its illegal to transfer VIN numbers on a vehicle. hell if we were doing things illegally, the importation of a GT-4 would already be done. trujigga would just have to back his car out of the driveway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.