Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible 3s-gte swap!!!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
Brandroid94
Hello Ladies and Gents!

I have had my Celica for a few years now and I was wanting to get more power as a lot of us do! I have been looking at getting a 3s-gte engine along with a Celica GT so I could do a project car and still have a daily driver! I do have a couple of questions though... Below I have listed both the engine clip I'm looking at as well as the Celica GT I am looking at to do the project on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Curren-ST20...aa2&vxp=mtr
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/5119580086.html

The first thing I would like to know is what generation 3s that is? I was looking around but I was unable to see which one it looked like
I was also hoping that the engine would go straight into the GT without any modifications and I could use a lot from the GT and still be able to use the engine. I have seen a lot of posts saying that you are able to do that but I wasn't sure if it mattered on the generation of engine. I would like to use the stock and ECU to cut back on costs since I don't have a lot of money. tongue.gif
After I get everything in the car, would I need to tune the car to get everything working properly with the new engine? If so, what's a good tuner to get?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
1994Celica
Looks like a gen 3 to me. The engine mounts are the same so no worries there. You'll just have to sort out the wiring.
Box
At the very least you'll need the engine, harness, and ECU. While you're at it you might as well get new mounts and an uprated clutch kit. It does look like a gen III but I'd try and find one that's already over here in the states to save the headache of importation and etc...

Another consideration would be the 1MZ swap as they're a dime a dozen over here and cheap, plus it'd be no different than going to the parts house and getting parts for a Camry versus hunting high and low for expensive parts overseas should something go out. Smaay, Lamont, and Kurt have done the swap on here and between them all everything is covered in good detail. Just something to think about anyway, especially since it sounds like you're on a budget.
Brandroid94
You are correct. I am on a budget since I don't have a lot to play with after everything. frown.gif My end goal is to have a fun fast daily driver with around 300+ hp. I have seen the 1mz posts before but never thought about doing it myself. That is definitely something to think about! With a 1mz swap, would it be as simple as a 3s? just drop it it, plug and play? I will definitely do research on the 1mz!
purplegt4
Get a st205 clip. That's someone else's swap.
Brandroid94
QUOTE (Box @ Jul 26, 2015 - 11:21 PM) *
At the very least you'll need the engine, harness, and ECU. While you're at it you might as well get new mounts and an uprated clutch kit. It does look like a gen III but I'd try and find one that's already over here in the states to save the headache of importation and etc...

Another consideration would be the 1MZ swap as they're a dime a dozen over here and cheap, plus it'd be no different than going to the parts house and getting parts for a Camry versus hunting high and low for expensive parts overseas should something go out. Smaay, Lamont, and Kurt have done the swap on here and between them all everything is covered in good detail. Just something to think about anyway, especially since it sounds like you're on a budget.

So I am looking at 1mz's and I found this one that is less and free shipping which is awesome!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-03-Toyota-Camry...017&vxp=mtr
I am hoping this would be the engine you are talking about. tongue.gif

QUOTE (purplegt4 @ Jul 27, 2015 - 12:22 PM) *
Get a st205 clip. That's someone else's swap.

The engine I posted is the only engine clip I've seen on Ebay besides a lot of MR2 clips (which I don't think will work too well) haha
Smaay
that is a VVT 1MZ. it was never mated to a 5 speed. yes you can use it and it will run awesome but you will have a CEL for auto speed sensor fault. you can also run that engine on a 97 camry ECU with no fault codes. the VVT will not work bit that is ok. its basically a 3.0 version of my setup.

you would also have to convert the ECU plugs to run the 97 ECU. i advise you to get an engine, harness and ECU from a 97 camry. less work and cheaper
Box
Plenty of '97 Camrys out there. The only cars to have the 1MZ with the manual will be the Camry and its stylish twin coupe the Solara. Which if you can find a whole one take the trans as well since it's the E153 and is desirable.
Brandroid94
I Will definitely be looking at the 1mz now! smile.gif

I have seen a lot of Camry's in the area that I can take from. Will I need to take the transmission from the Camry as well or am I able to match the engine with the GT transmission in the Celica?
Smaay
QUOTE (Box @ Jul 30, 2015 - 10:54 PM) *
Plenty of '97 Camrys out there. The only cars to have the 1MZ with the manual will be the Camry and its stylish twin coupe the Solara. Which if you can find a whole one take the trans as well since it's the E153 and is desirable.

Ill agree with you Box, but E153 incurs more costs. you need to get hybrid axles which can be $$$$. The S54 is an awesome trans with the 1MZ. the gearing is spot on for acceleration. I highly suggest changing 5th gear to the S51.

I had an E153 on my 3MZ and it was awesome, however after doing a 1MZ swap with an S54 in another car, i was sold on it.

HOWEVER, using an S54 requires a custom axle bearing carrier which im designing now.
Box
I would suggest doing the 5th gear swap like Smaay mentioned as well with keeping the S54.
Brandroid94
The less the cost is the more real this swap is sounding and it is awesome!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-CAMRY-SOLAR...10b&vxp=mtr

I saw this Camry on Ebay and it looks like it is not the VVT one which is awesome! This engine comes with the engine, wiring harness, and the ECU all in one. It does have 150k miles on it but I would clean it up and make it pretty again and make sure everything was working.
Smaay
thats a good deal! it is a 2000+ so you will need to also use the EVAP system from that car. if you are getting the entire car, thats a plus.

OR you can still use that engine, and harness, just buy the ECU plugs and a 97 ECU. then you can use the stock charcoal canister and you will not get a CEL. for that price its worth it
Brandroid94
That is great news! As for the ECU and plugs, does it matter what car its off as long as it is for the 1mz, or does it also have to be from a Camry? If so I have seen some pretty decent priced ones. I can ask the seller if I may have the EVAP system as well for the swap so I wouldn't have to worry about CEL poppin up.
Smaay
you want 97 1MZ plugs. they are different than the 2000+

I think i posted the part numbers for them on one of my threads.

these are the part numbers. do not follow this pinout, this is for a 1JZ-GTE

Jmk91
QUOTE (Smaay @ Aug 1, 2015 - 11:57 AM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Jul 30, 2015 - 10:54 PM) *

Ill agree with you Box, but E153 incurs more costs. you need to get hybrid axles which can be $$$$. The S54 is an awesome trans with the 1MZ. the gearing is spot on for acceleration. I highly suggest changing 5th gear to the S51.

I had an E153 on my 3MZ and it was awesome, however after doing a 1MZ swap with an S54 in another car, i was sold on it.

HOWEVER, using an S54 requires a custom axle bearing carrier which im designing now.

So for a 1mz using s54 you need a custom axle bearing carrier?
Smaay
yes, im in the process of developing a "mass" production. (like 5)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.