Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5sfe Blown head gasket
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
pluto
So I found a 94 gt automatic with a 5s and the head gasket is Blown, my plans are to buy it and let it sit as a project and rebuild the engine and hopefully turbo the 5s before I put it back in the bay also I want to put a s54 or e153 to make it a manual conversion. Thoughts,warnings,opinions? Is 500 worth it if the block isn't cracked?....also idk if this is the correct place to post this.thanks guys!
Smaay
if the rest of the car is clean and no rust, then 500 is a good price. converting to a manual is actually very easy on the 6th gen, if you have all the parts. I detailed this on one of my V6 swap threads.

now that is another option. instead of putting money into rebuilding the 5S-FE. Put a 1MZ in there. then you will make 200HP all motor.
njccmd2002
500 for a roller is pretty good.

Headgasket? Lol dont count your chickens. There was a story that was real. I was rhe intermediate buyer of a car. Supposedly bad headgasket. Nope. Piston had melted and scored the block. Engine was trash. So until you open and remove the head on it. Ist not only headgasket. But 500 still good....
pluto
Thanks guys,I was thinking of a 3s swap for it,its a gt so no mount swaps like my current St.either way if I wanted to daily it,the junkyard will sell me a 5s for $350 complete.I may look into a 1mz but I'm not sure of the power capabilities my goal is the ball park of 350 hp,and it looks like the 3s has virtually unlimited aftermarket support.we'll see.
Smaay
goals and reality are 2 totally different things. the 3S-GTE will not make 350 out the box. you will need supporting mods.
njccmd2002
why do you need 350 hp, curious. I slapped a 2gr in my celica, close to 275HP, but the power is so much, i have to be careful in first gear, that is with a e153.

If it was an awd or rwd, i see a point. but too much power in fwd, its just too much, in my opinion. But everyone has their own toughts.
pluto
I understand the 3s will need serious modding and tuning to push 350,and I don't NEED 350 persay but I seldom want to see my opponents tail lights.I'd probably end up dropping the number of found a 3sgte to test drive.and after hearing your problem with 1st gear,I might leave it stock.who knows.gotta love a project car.so many possible outcomes!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.