Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Notes from installation of Megan Street Series Coilovers
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Suspension/Handling/Braking
bryanf
I wanted to lower my car more than the Eibach Prokit springs I was already running, plus I wanted stiffer springs and shocks, but I wanted to keep camber at -1.5 or less and I didn't want to use crash bolts.

My only concern about installing these coilovers was the lack of rear camber plates. Camber plates could have been included on the back and I considered trying to adapt some but it turned out not to be necessary.

I installed these coilovers without adjusting the ride height, and the ride height was exactly what I wanted.

In the front, with the camber plates, camber adjustment was not an issue. The rear was a different story. Initial camber with the Eibach springs was -1.6 so some correction was obviously going to be needed. With the coilovers the ride height was lower and the camber was -2.7. By slotting the strut tops about half an inch as shown the camber was -2.1. I decided to slot the bottom hub bolt hole of the coilover. I used tab washers from Moog crash bolts. The tab thickness on these bolts was 1/8" thick, so I slotted the holes 1/8" and used these washers to ensure the bolts would stay at the end of the slots. Not really necessary but why not? With the bottom slot, camber came to -1.4.

Wheel arch heights with Eibach Prokit: 25.5" front 25.25" rear
Wheel arch heights with Megan coilovers: 24.25" front and rear

Weight of stock springs/struts: 19 lb
Weight of coilovers: 12 lb
Weight savings: 28 lb, most of which is unsprung smile.gif

Note lowering the front produced quite a bit of toe-out which had to be adjusted.
Tigawoods
some coilovers have that strut slot. Its pretty handy.
I question how secure that top mount slotting will be. I dont think it will be too big of an issue as it basically is doing what an adjustable camber plate is doing, and it has a higher torquing value than those 4 little allen key bolts.

good install coverage!
BonzaiCelica
Cool finally weight reduction I can add to the sticky.

However the 19lbs is what front weigh each the rears must be a few pounds heavier...
bryanf
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 3, 2016 - 10:07 PM) *
However the 19lbs is what front weigh each the rears must be a few pounds heavier...

Actually front and rear weighed about the same.
a2daj1
as for the rear camber you can get camber bolts for the rear to correct the rear neg cambr. To get it in spec enough to prevent camber wear. you can find them on ebay
bryanf
Here's the ride height you get with the factory adjustment of the Megans.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.