Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2001 gts transmission problem
6G Celicas Forums > Other > Off Topic
cogarbernie
Will a 2001 Solara trans fit and work in a 2001 gts?

95CelicaST
Can't say for certain that it WONT fit, but I'd assume no. Better money would be spent on a manual trans Celica pedal box and associated bits and convert it to manual.

Cursory Google search took me to Wikipedia.

U240E

4 Speed Automatic Transaxle

Gear ratios for this transmission.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th Reverse Final
3.943 2.197 1.413 1.020 3.145 3.120
Applications:

20002005 Celica GT-S
2003 Matrix XRS (with VVTL-i engine)
20002006 runx/allex (with VVTL-i engine)
2000-2001 Avensis VVTI

So probably your best bet is another Celica GTS.
95CelicaST
A541E is the model code for the 2001 Solara auto trans. Given the incompatibility of engine groups and trans groups I would say the answer is no it won't fit. The bellhousing probably doesn't even come close to matching.
Box
Not only that but they're computer controlled by then so that'd throw another wrench into using anything other than the transmission original to the car. If you can drive a manual I'd convert it, from what I've heard it's the difference in the GT-S being quick or a total dog.
1994Celica
Or if you can't drive a manual and don't want to convert you might just have to rebuild the current trans you have, or ge another car
Box
I thought about mentioning rebuild what's there, but for what that'd cost and the value of an automatic 7GC would be better off buying another car.
Bitter
Not only that but the electronic controls of the U240E built into the PCM will only work with the U240E. The U series transmission are a little different inside, not built like most other Toyota/Aisin automatics, more akin to a manual trans in how the gear sets are put together, all clutch packs and no drums/bands. Sadly only a U240E can replace a U240E exactly.

QUOTE (Box @ Apr 5, 2016 - 11:43 AM) *
from what I've heard it's the difference in the GT-S being quick or a total dog.

As slow as a 5spd GT laugh.gif
1994Celica
QUOTE (Box @ Apr 5, 2016 - 6:41 PM) *
I thought about mentioning rebuild what's there, but for what that'd cost and the value of an automatic 7GC would be better off buying another car.

I guess it depends on the situation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.