Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is this on the dashboard?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Interior/Audio/Electrical/Wiring
cellocinema
i plan to cover dashboard with leather material, and wonder if i could cover whole surface with single fabricated sheet using spray glue. i don't know what it's called but it's located on the dashboard, passenger side(see the pic below).
should i avoid this area when wrapping dashboard? i've seen dashboard was covered completely with leather in another celica but need confirmation just in case. plz shed some light on this. thanks

Box
That's the passenger side airbag, you definitely don't want to cover it up with an active airbag in it.
cellocinema
QUOTE (Box @ Jul 1, 2016 - 12:06 AM) *
That's the passenger side airbag, you definitely don't want to cover it up with an active airbag in it.

thanks for the comment. i guess i shouldn't cover the whole surface then. maybe i have to leave the area as it is or lift the airbag cover and wrap it with another leather sheet.
Bitter
You don't want to cover the airbag with anything, it could become a projectile or a whip and cause serious lacerations.
cellocinema
QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 5, 2016 - 8:01 PM) *
You don't want to cover the airbag with anything, it could become a projectile or a whip and cause serious lacerations.

it seems scary. can it be activated without major collision accident?
usually the cover should be wrapped over the edge so adhesion problems don't occur and I wonder if there might be a potential risk that could trigger activation during the process.
so my plan is just trim the leather around the airbag cover and take care of the edges. I guess somehow I have to open or remove the cover to do that. do you know how to? thanks in advance
VavAlephVav
The sensor to activate it is up in the nose of the car so that it would activate on a fairly hard impact.
But you dont want to do anything that would interfere with how it would perform in an accident.
Box
Yup, will just have to leave it how it is. A lot of thought and work goes into the materials and how they'll break away when the bag deploys in an accident.
cellocinema
plan to remove the cover by prying from bottom edge. i'll update when i get the chance to do the job...
richee3
That will break it just the same as if the airbag deploys and you'll need to get a new one.
VavAlephVav
If you really want to cover the dash you can disable (unplug) the airbag. The driver bag will still work, you just won't have airbag protection for the passenger.
cellocinema
are you sure? i've seen an airbag cover removed like below from another website. it's not 6gc though. also airbag won't be activated as long as battery is disconnected, right?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.