Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outrageous emissions readings?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
HectortheRican
My registration is due to be renewed by the end of the month, so I went to my usual emissions station. My engine and cat were already plenty warm by the time I arrived, but the guy was out on an errand, so I sat idling for about 10-15 more minutes. These were my high RPM readouts:

This is crazy - they have never been so high. This time last year, HC was only at ~40 and CO was something around 0.6-0.65. What could've gone bad between these two readings to make it jump so drastically?? My Celi drives the same, idles the same and gets the same MPG as last year. No CEL either.
Earlier today I removed my battery for access to replace my motor mounts. The only thing that crosses my mind is that maybe the A/F ratio got reset. The battery was out for ~1.5 hours or so. I drove for roughly 10-15 minutes to get to the emissions station after that.

Any ideas, guys?
Bitter
give it a good italian tune up then try again.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Bitter @ Apr 14, 2017 - 5:59 PM) *
give it a good italian tune up then try again.

Poured wine into the oil input and now the car won't start.

Halp.
Bitter
you're supposed to put salami up the tail pipe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup
Box
Italian tune up=drive the hell out of it to blow the carbon out. It sitting an idling right before testing is what failed you. Drive it hard to the testing station and if they can't immediately test it turn the car off, don't let it sit and idle.
Bitter
If they can't test it right away do a ****ing burnout in the parking lot, hot lap the block, then pull back in sliding sideways with the brakes locked up and ask if they've got time to do it now.
Box
laugh.gif I think that might cause a whole new set of problems.
Oreo20
Happened to me
I had very high emissions with no check engine everything runs fine bla bla turned out to be the cat but the one in the front
Apparently it had no honey combs lol was running rich the whole year and made me fail new cat 400$ on the GT
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Oreo20 @ Apr 15, 2017 - 6:02 AM) *
Happened to me
I had very high emissions with no check engine everything runs fine bla bla turned out to be the cat but the one in the front
Apparently it had no honey combs lol was running rich the whole year and made me fail new cat 400$ on the GT

I replaced my cat on January of last year... I don't think it would be the cat. Hopefully not, anyway. And it's a 7A, so I've only got one cat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.