Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car alarm remote/receiver no longer functional
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Interior/Audio/Electrical/Wiring
HectortheRican
Yesterday, my car alarm remote wouldn't disengage the alarm. It was late, so I decided I'd deal with it today. No now I'm dealing with it and nothing is working. First thing I did was replace the battery in the remote, but that wasn't it. Still won't disengage. I tried tracing wires to try and unhook the alarm system from power, but I bought the car with it installed and I can't find anything helpful/useful. I can't even start my car because the alarm system restricts power to the ignition.

Does anyone have experience with alarm systems that can help me out? The system is still on and reacts like normal... goes off if I shut a door or try to start the car. I'm totally at a loss right now.
Bitter
OEM or aftermarket?
If aftermarket pull the relay out and jump terminals 87 and 30 with a small wire with a spade at each end. That will bypass the starter disable. Once that's bypassed you can unplug the connectors from the alarm module to silence it.

If OEM...uh....it's gonna be some work.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Bitter @ Apr 16, 2017 - 10:01 AM) *
OEM or aftermarket?
If aftermarket pull the relay out and jump terminals 87 and 30 with a small wire with a spade at each end. That will bypass the starter disable. Once that's bypassed you can unplug the connectors from the alarm module to silence it.

If OEM...uh....it's gonna be some work.

It's aftermarket. Terminals 87 and 30 in the diag port? Will a bent paperclip do, or should each spare be independent of each other? But then here's the issue: I didn't install this, so I have no idea where the relay or the alarm connectors are.
Bitter
no, in the alarm relay. likely under the dash.

Will look kind of like that. Paper clip won't work, needs to be heavier wire with spade terminals so it doesn't burn up, that's the starter circuit you're jumping.

Some alarms have a reset button somewhere on the module or under the dash that might get it working again, usually key on and hold the button till it chirps or flashes the light or stops flashing the light.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Bitter @ Apr 16, 2017 - 10:19 AM) *
Some alarms have a reset button somewhere on the module or under the dash that might get it working again, usually key on and hold the button till it chirps or flashes the light or stops flashing the light.

Wait, so for the reset button to work, key needs to be in ignition, turned to on?? I found the reset button, but I didn't have keys in the ignition, so it didn't work. I figured it was dead. It's a little, obviously aftermarket red button that was installed on the left side of my footwell to the far left of my clutch pedal.
HectortheRican
Update: the reset button worked with the key in the ignition!! Thanks man, you are a total lifesaver!
I'm not turning that alarm back on until I figure out why the receiver isn't working.
Bitter
Woot!

It would be best to just remove the alarm or replace the alarm module and keyfob with a new one. Sometimes you can match the module and fob with the same model or a model with the same wiring so you just plug n play.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Bitter @ Apr 16, 2017 - 12:09 PM) *
Woot!

It would be best to just remove the alarm or replace the alarm module and keyfob with a new one. Sometimes you can match the module and fob with the same model or a model with the same wiring so you just plug n play.

That's a good idea. I'll stop by my local audio/alarm install shop to see what they can do. I'll be riding manual for now, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.