Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New here. Thinking about buying a 6th gen
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
T3naci0usT
So, I have a few questions. I would be able to pick up a 6th gen convertable for about 1.5k, but the interior, exterior, top are rough. The car runs well and the transmission shifts smoothly.
I just need an opinion if it is a good buy.
I am also thinking about putting what I bought it for back into the car if I get it.
Also it has about 100k miles on it.
Thank you for the help.
Box
Honestly I'd wait for a nicer car to come along, if the interior and exterior is all torn up then odds are nothing mechanical was taken care of either. Also the convertible specific parts are pricey and hard to find outside of the top, so if any of that needs replaced it can end up being a money pit. Even the top isn't exactly cheap at $200 for just the top, then expect to pay a few hundred to have it done. Could easily spend more bringing it up to snuff than what it'd cost to go buy a nice car from the get go.
T3naci0usT
Thank you for you feedback. I am looking overall to pay around 3k for a new car, and I actually like the styling of the hatches a lot.
T3naci0usT
what you guys think about this one?
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6077351462.html
Box
Can see it needs a respray but for the price you can't really expect it to be perfect. The only thing that's of obvious concern is the idle problem, but it could be something simple and inexpensive like the IACV needing taken off and cleaned. Would just depend on how bad the idle problem is, being it's OBD-II you could scan it for trouble codes.
Bushmatic
QUOTE (T3naci0usT @ Apr 26, 2017 - 10:28 AM) *

Wouldn't bother with that one, especially considering the sun damage, mileage, and idle problem it mentions (it's also a coupe...liftbacks are way better wink.gif ). You should be able to find a really clean one for $3000 with a bit of waiting and searching around different areas.

Ninja edit- it is a liftback, I have made some sort of weird mistake here because it's obviously a liftback. Oh well
jordisonjr
QUOTE (Bushmatic @ Apr 27, 2017 - 2:15 AM) *
QUOTE (T3naci0usT @ Apr 26, 2017 - 10:28 AM) *

Wouldn't bother with that one, especially considering the sun damage, mileage, and idle problem it mentions (it's also a coupe...liftbacks are way better wink.gif ). You should be able to find a really clean one for $3000 with a bit of waiting and searching around different areas.

That most definitely is a lift back..
bloodMoney
^This.

It's a hatch.

After owning one with over 300,000 miles; 16x,xxx doesn't even make me flinch.

I think it could be a solid base for whatever you wanted to do with it, provided it has no rust. Being in Texas, that's more likely to happen than up here in the rust belt.

If you really want a 6g, call the seller, and go take a look. See how bad it runs, look at the overall condition in person. For $1500, you could spend another 1500 in repairs and still break even...
T3naci0usT
Yeah that i what I am thinking as well. Am probably going to look at it this weekend or the next
I noticed that it had a cloth interior, aren't all GTs supposed to come in all black leather, or was that an option?
richee3
It was just an option. My GT, for instance, had a tan cloth interior when I bought it.
T3naci0usT
Ok, Just making sure smile.gif
T3naci0usT
Also, does this forum have some sort of delay for posting? My posts are taking forever to post.
Bushmatic
Idk what I was doing last night that made me mistake it for a coupe, I think too many Celica-related tabs open. Just ignore that part of my post!
jordisonjr
QUOTE (Bushmatic @ Apr 27, 2017 - 3:05 PM) *
Idk what I was doing last night that made me mistake it for a coupe, I think too many Celica-related tabs open. Just ignore that part of my post!

I was a little confused as to why thought it was a coupe, considering it looks like you own a hatch from your sig laugh.gif
cheela
QUOTE (T3naci0usT @ Apr 27, 2017 - 1:25 PM) *
Also, does this forum have some sort of delay for posting? My posts are taking forever to post.

you're new here so you will have a probation period for a bit.
don't worry, it's just to cut down on spambots.
just keep posting, Daniel (richee) is a moderator on here as well as a few others and will look over your post and usually post them within an hour or so.

but back on subject, keep searching for what you want and what suits your needs. are you partial to any particular body style (coupe, vert, hatch) cuz once you buy it, ur stuck with it for a while. haha. that being said, hatch is the most common and has the most available parts. coupe n verts are a bit more limited but the vert also has the fun factor of being a vert. lol

but i'd say $3000 is a decent budget for a 6th gen. I've seen some pretty decent ones around that price. but if you're mechanically inclined and don't mind a fixer upper, you could get a good deal as well. oR if you end goal is already a swap then just look out for a good shell with either a blown motor or no motor and go from there.
T3naci0usT
I am basically getting a daily. I already have something that is taking up all my money, and I have to drive 100 miles for work everyday for the next year. The 3k was just to find something below that, and fix it up.

I already talk to the person selling it, and I am going to take a drive down to Houston tomorrow, to go grab it.
I am going to go by myself and take my truck and trailer, just in case the idle issue is something serious.
Also, is the TPS sensor for this car located on the firewall? I have a picture from the owner showing a disconnected sensor on the firewall.
Box
$3,000 buys you a really nice 6th gen from what I've seen, low 100K miles or less with nice interior and paint. Of course around here $2,000 gets you a decent one with 150-200K miles, so it may vary somewhat from place to place but the Celica is terribly underappreciated compared to some other cars. For what I bought the Firebird for I could've gotten an equally as nice Celica with lots of money leftover. tongue.gif
T3naci0usT
Just wanted to let you guys know. I am one of you. smile.gif
bloodMoney
Nice! Congrats!

Post some pics.
cheela
pics of GTFO! laugh.gif

congrats! let the modding begin! lol
T3naci0usT
Idk if she is worthy of pics. smile.gif
The interior is already in 20 pieces. I am putting some infinity 6520s in her. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R6520CX/In...p=106&avf=Y
And I am waiting on a new map sensor, and connector.
Box
That's right we demand pics now. tongue.gif
T3naci0usT
I will take some pictures tomorrow. It is already dark outside. smile.gif I will get my other car in there as well to make her look prettier.
T3naci0usT
Celica https://imgur.com/gallery/BNY15
Here is my other car as well. smile.gif 03 cobra https://imgur.com/a/W6e1F
bloodMoney
That actually looks like its in pretty decent shape... Nice score!
T3naci0usT
It has a really weird issue whenever you plug in the map. It idles at like 200rpm, without it, it idles at like 2k rpm.
cheela
looks like a 98/99. very nice.
radiator looks good, oil filter is not fram so thats a plus too!
T3naci0usT
I just put a new radiator in her last night smile.gif Yeah it is a 99. The only real bad spots are the clear coat is failing on the hood and spoiler, there is a pretty big dent in the passenger quarter. The seat is kind worn. Other than those, it is in really good shape. Just need to work out the idle problem.
Box
Hey look someone else that likes domestics and imports too. I noticed you said you had a new MAP sensor on the way which from what you describe seems like the issue. All in all the car looks like a good buy for the money.

T3naci0usT
Yeah I am really happy with it. I am honestly surprised it made it home from houston. Was getting like 15mpg
narly_charley
QUOTE (cheela @ May 3, 2017 - 4:14 PM) *

I really like the new Fram Ultra filters... Made in the US.
cheela
QUOTE (T3naci0usT @ May 3, 2017 - 4:29 PM) *
I just put a new radiator in her last night smile.gif Yeah it is a 99. The only real bad spots are the clear coat is failing on the hood and spoiler, there is a pretty big dent in the passenger quarter. The seat is kind worn. Other than those, it is in really good shape. Just need to work out the idle problem.

hahah. thats good. if stock, the radiators are usually brown on top showing signs of failure. quarter panels are always the place that gets hit. WHY!!!! frown.gif

QUOTE (narly_charley @ May 4, 2017 - 4:27 PM) *
QUOTE (cheela @ May 3, 2017 - 4:14 PM) *

I really like the new Fram Ultra filters... Made in the US.

haven't tried them yet but I use purolators. but i also have a 7a so no issues. I could probably stick a roll of toilet paper on there and it'd still run. lol
Box
I like the Mobil1 and K&N oil filters personally, Wix makes a good filter as well. It's funny you mention toilet paper since back in the 70's there were universal canister filter kits that used a roll of toilet paper as the filtering medium. laugh.gif
narly_charley
QUOTE (Box @ May 4, 2017 - 5:42 PM) *
I like the Mobil1 and K&N oil filters personally, Wix makes a good filter as well. It's funny you mention toilet paper since back in the 70's there were universal canister filter kits that used a roll of toilet paper as the filtering medium. laugh.gif

I did buy K&N until they moved their sourcing to Mexico and their quality went down (per forum posts on Bob is the Oil Guy). I love how the K&N Ultra's say that they will filter up to 15K miles. Who the hell is going to not change their filter after 15K miles?! Haha!

I don't know how anyone can expect a synthetic oil to have additives that will last up to 10K miles either, let alone the particles in oil...
cheela
every 3000 for me. or 5000 if i'm feeling risky. lol
T3naci0usT
I CAN'T WAIT TILL THE END OF TODAY!!!! I have parts coming in that I have been waiting for all week. IT IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN
Getting my speaker adapters from crutchfield.
Have a new map sensor coming, and my adapter plates for my speakers already came in.
Box
QUOTE (narly_charley @ May 5, 2017 - 8:29 AM) *
QUOTE (Box @ May 4, 2017 - 5:42 PM) *

I did buy K&N until they moved their sourcing to Mexico and their quality went down (per forum posts on Bob is the Oil Guy). I love how the K&N Ultra's say that they will filter up to 15K miles. Who the hell is going to not change their filter after 15K miles?! Haha!

I don't know how anyone can expect a synthetic oil to have additives that will last up to 10K miles either, let alone the particles in oil...

My brother gets them in all the time at Hyundai, one car made it 20K on it's oil before the engine seized. These are new cars mind you... What's sad is Hyundai warranties that crap, you can over rev and blow it but so long as the engine is full of oil they'll replace it...

It's been awhile since I used a K&N, the last one I used was made in the U.S. but that was a few years ago too. Guess I'll stick with the Mobil1 filters then in that price range. I think the Mobil1 filters are rated for 15,000-20,000 miles with synthetic but I haven't driven the Firebird enough to decide how often I'll change it, probably every 5,000 since it's had synthetic its entire life and the engine is really clean consequently.

QUOTE (T3naci0usT @ May 5, 2017 - 10:55 AM) *
I CAN'T WAIT TILL THE END OF TODAY!!!! I have parts coming in that I have been waiting for all week. IT IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN
Getting my speaker adapters from crutchfield.
Have a new map sensor coming, and my adapter plates for my speakers already came in.

Hopefully the MAP sensor takes care of it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.