Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Locking lug nut opinions?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Suspension/Handling/Braking
HectortheRican
What do you all think? I'm in the market for open-end lock nuts. I'd like for every nut to have a lock, not just one per wheel. I have gorilla lock nuts now, but I've become curious in other designs, particularly the seven-point nuts.
What are your opinions on the best lock nut?
Box
My brother uses Muteki locking lug nuts for his $2,500 set of BBS rims, seems to really like them since that's what he keeps buying. I don't have rims anyone wants to steal so I just use standard lug nuts. laugh.gif
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Box @ Jun 5, 2017 - 1:53 PM) *
My brother uses Muteki locking lug nuts for his $2,500 set of BBS rims, seems to really like them since that's what he keeps buying. I don't have rims anyone wants to steal so I just use standard lug nuts. laugh.gif

The 7-sided locking Muteki nuts are the ones I'm primarily looking at. Made with 7000-series aluminum and hard-anodized... so they shouldn't strip so easily.
cheela
just make sure they're quality nuts and key and you should be fine. I use gorilla lock nuts and I'm fine with them.

when I bough my 1st gen, it had some ricer rims on them with lock nuts that have an internal pattern. DO NOT get those. the key is like an allen wrench with a pattern and the lugs were already starting to strip. I found the key online and tried to get them off. I managed to get them off but stripped 8 of 16 lugs nuts and almost broke the key on the last one. toss those in the trash and bought some gorillaz.
Box
QUOTE (HectortheRican @ Jun 5, 2017 - 3:44 PM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Jun 5, 2017 - 1:53 PM) *

The 7-sided locking Muteki nuts are the ones I'm primarily looking at. Made with 7000-series aluminum and hard-anodized... so they shouldn't strip so easily.

I think he went with one of their steel versions so they'd be harder to remove, but I could be mistaken.
HectortheRican
Does anyone know of any lug nuts with different spline patterns or dimensions among the lug nut model? Like the kind that you have to call the mfgr with a serial number in order to get a replacement key.
Box
There are actual "locking" Muteki lugs, they have a separate key in addition to the regular spline ones.

Thing is if you're overly concerned with them being stolen the only thing I'd know to do to be remotely certain that they won't be would be to use titanium locking lug nuts, and those are like $300 or so a set. Thing is aluminum or steel can be removed with locking lug nut removal kits, and any thief that does this all the time and not spur of the moment will have said kit. Sure having one on each stud will slow them down, but it won't stop them if they really want them and have enough time to do it. Locking lug nuts only stop idiots with a lug wrench, and even then you can hammer a socket onto a locking lug nut and use a breaker bar to remove it. Well except for titanium because it's harder than any steel.
Bitter
Whatever you get, get a spare key and keep it at home safe just in case. Also keep the one in the car hidden somewhere, make a pocket under the seat or something.
Tigawoods
ive used muteki lock nuts for a long while. buy extra keys also for when they fracture, they are very thin walled.

For extended locking, check out partshopmax. They have a good set of lug nuts
HectortheRican
Good points for the spares, guys. I don't currently have one.
HectortheRican
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Jun 6, 2017 - 5:06 AM) *
ive used muteki lock nuts for a long while. buy extra keys also for when they fracture, they are very thin walled.

Do you have aluminum or steel lock nuts?
Tigawoods
Mutekis are mostly chrome vanadium which is steel.
go with steel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.