Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E153 oil cooler
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
njccmd2002
so my e153 has a loop line, into what i assume i can add oil cooler.

I think, i have an oem cooler with me, but would it be better to do a aftermarket?
Bitter
Google says that the 185 cooler is what you want to use if you use one, google also says you really don't need it and over cooling might make it shift like a cold trans all the time, it's pretty much for cars that are being heavily tracked or for rally racing.
njccmd2002
lol. google. well the celi will be tracked very soon.

rollbar has been done, and baffled oil pan too.

but google does not have a celi. but i guess the oem will do... if you say so... lol...
Box
Might look into a power steering cooler, of course they're entirely different cars but I need to get a cooler onto the Firebird since I keep boiling the fluid.
Bitter
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Jul 20, 2017 - 12:13 AM) *
lol. google. well the celi will be tracked very soon.

rollbar has been done, and baffled oil pan too.

but google does not have a celi. but i guess the oem will do... if you say so... lol...

I don't think you need a lot of cooling, you do want some heat in that fluid for smooth shifting. If you do run a cooler I would suggest putting an inline thermostat so you can control the fluid temp, especially if you're running the cooler up front through long lines, as the lines themselves shed heat and add to cooling capacity. Heck, just a coil of line would probably be a sufficient cooler or a big loop of line. Start small and work bigger, a Dodge minivan p/s cooler is cheap to get used to try out.
slavie
The best way to find out, of course, would be to stick a temp probe in the drain plug and measure the oil temp. If it's overheating, you need a bigger cooler. Same goes for PS.

ST205 stock tranny cooler is pretty beefy, and designed to handle the additional load from AWD components within the tranny. I would bet it is plenty for a front wheel drive only config. It's larger than the first few tiers of aftermarket coolers. Not sure about the ST185 one, never dealt with one.
richee3
Would you be upset to find out that I literally just threw an ST205 trans cooler away within the last two months?
njccmd2002
I think i have one. Lol
Smaay
you dont need it. they came looped on the MR2 trans but have a cooler on the ST185. unless you are doing all-trac stuff, you dont need it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.