Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toyota files a new trademark for "Celica" - 8/31/2017
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Bushmatic
First off, I know this news is making the rounds on all the Facebook groups and wherever else, just thought it deserved a thread on here because why not?

Link to article

Another article

I've seen a lot of people say that Toyota might be preparing for a Scion tC spiritual successor, which itself may have been a spiritual successor to the Celica. Or....

One possibility is that the next-generation 86 sports coupe may be renamed the Celica.

Doubtful, but would be pretty cool.
Box
Like Car and Driver said it wouldn't make sense to use it on the 86 when so much has been invested into that already. It could be they're just securing the name, but hopefully it means they're bringing it back. Hopefully as more of a 7th gen Celica successor than a tC one.
richee3
My guess is that they’re just making sure nobody else can use the name. Another Celica would be cool, but not likely. As much as we all want another GT-Four, the Yaris is the new rally car and the Celica name may likely never grace another car.

But I can dream anyway, right?
Box
I dunno, maybe with the death of Scion perhaps Toyota is wanting to freshen their image. Have the GT86, new Supra coming, so why not a new Celica borrowing from a current platform to compete with the Civic Coupe etc... From looking at the newest Camry it seems like Toyota may finally have grown tired of being the boring appliance maker they have been lately. So here's to hoping.
1994Celica
I'm with Richee. I bet Toyota is just doing it to keep hold of the name but ya know fanboys/girls and what not.
njccmd2002
they are going the ways of jcpenny. selling a celica dishwasher and an mr2 blender...
cheela
that dishwasher better have a two stage rinse cycle and turbo wash then.
njccmd2002
turbo!
BonzaiCelica
Ha not happening. Even though they already have a is200t motor, they could easily make a fwd turbo corolla xrs model with trd suspension. N watered down ecu mapping

The 5th gen all trac didnt sell well n neither did the 7gc.

When i found out how the frs/brz came to production i felt sick. Toyota just put their scion badge on it and their direct injection technology.

Oh yea n the same will happen with supra. I see toyota as greedy now with no care for their sport line up. At an affordable $. Go to Lexus if you want rwd or awd n shutup!
1994Celica
It wouldn't matter even if they did bring it back. We forum goers complain all day about lack of Toyota sports cars but I'd bet my Celica that if Toyota brought a new one out as an STi competitor only a handful of us would buy. This is how it goes everywhere.
cheela
^ yeah. i'd still rather buy a supra. wink.gif
richee3
QUOTE (1994Celica @ Sep 19, 2017 - 4:56 PM) *
It wouldn't matter even if they did bring it back. We forum goers complain all day about lack of Toyota sports cars but I'd bet my Celica that if Toyota brought a new one out as an STi competitor only a handful of us would buy. This is how it goes everywhere.

Yup. I was excited when I first heard that Toyota released the FT86 concept and planned on putting it into production. Then the more news they released about it, the less excited I became. When they finally released the FR-S, I just couldn’t have cared less anymore. Same thing with the FT1 concept, I kind of already don’t care if they release a new Supra. Yet I find myself complains that Toyota’s lineup is bland and they should release some sports cars. I know I won’t buy them, but I still want them to do something.
Box
I'd buy a BRZ, that counts for something right?
TimeslideZ
QUOTE (Box @ Sep 19, 2017 - 9:51 PM) *
I'd buy a BRZ, that counts for something right?

Same! I think I prefer the BRZ font end vs the FRS/FT86. They probably won't come out with another Celica, and if they do hopefully it's not a blender (unless it's turboed like Cheela said).
Could be changing though, I mean they plan to come out with the GRMN/GR Sport/GR models too. But on a Prius (not one, BUT TWO)? On a Harrier? I mean at least they have the Vitz/Yaris I guess.
But I will say they look pretty good though. Wouldn't mind the Vitz one hehe.
cheela
I kinda hope they go all out on an electric car. have you seen what those can do?
the silent killers. lol

not that i'd ever buy anything newer than 2000s anyway though. laugh.gif
njccmd2002
A celica vacuum would be great
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.