Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How I Made a custom roll bar for a convertible
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Interior/Audio/Electrical/Wiring
njccmd2002
Before i start anything...

WARNING, I DO NOT, REPEAT, I DO NOT affirm, state, and or indicate or any other similar word, that this is the most absolute way to do this. Do not follow my steps, do your own research, and what I did, was for my use... I will not be held responsible for you trying to copy me....

Ok having said that.... I ordered a roll bar set online. It had to be modified to fit.....

Welding has to be perfect, no grinding must be done to the welds...

joints must be perfect, or very close to it...

How do you notch a tube?

Bought from J2 Square.... Best tool you can use for this, and affordable price...

Welded a diagonal bar for support...

Then added the rear arms and rear brace above the hump.....

The Convertible has not a lot of space to weld one. or you loose the ability to open the roof.. This is the most controversial part, as some faisbuk users did not like it. Oh well, my car, my responsibility.... right?

Placement of the plates was tricky, and i do agree, the front plates were welded on a sandwich area, meaning structural support is awesome..

The rear plates, are in an area that i do not agree, nor did i like, but unfortunately had to be done...

This was the most hard part, as i had to conform the plates to the floor, and also make additional plates to weld the sides...

Of Course, i used Bed Armour bedliner.... and had to do this twice.... Those are 6 x 6 inch plates.. per some regulations here and there. Of course it came with my kit.....

To remove the insulation, i used Dry Ice method...

Again the welds need not to be grinded, need to be careful

of course had to test several times before the final welds needed to be done...

After i was satisfied, i painted the roll bar with EASTWOOD extreme chassis paint...

See that rear hump, in the rear arms, will prevent the rear arms just from poking the sheet metal in case of a roll. (it will be harder)

Welded the bar !!!

painted the plates...

And now i just added extra 40 pounds to the car...

This was my experience, yours may be different, i am planning of going back and revise, and weld some extra braces...

Used 1 5/8 bar x 0.134 from jegs... and its corresponding kit...

This is to document, how I did my bar, and not how you need to make yours. LOL, dont blame me, im just here telling a story bro!

slavie
Nicely done.

Keep in mind that this 4 pt bar may be deemed "not legal" by some national sanctioning bodies (SCCA, NASA, etc) as the rear braces need to be at 45 degrees at the minimum, and you're at 30 at best. 45 would require gutting the trunk and so on, so I see why you did it this way.

Now you can throw in a proper seat and harness and go all out smile.gif
njccmd2002
Yes good point. But miatas dont even have rear arms. But im not doing it professionaly. For that id get a car with a roof... but that is one of my issues i had when i did it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.