Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freelica
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
cheela
When life hands you lemon, you make lemonade.
but what happens when life hands you a '96 5 speed celica ST, aka Freelica???

so, this thing just kinda almost literally fell into my hands. Thursday night my uncle hits me up on facepage and was like, "hey, i got this sitting in my yard, you interested?"

I'm like "swching! yea!" (but i didn't say the swching part)

so details are it was my cousin's car, they were driving heard a big noise? in the general engine bay/engine area and then it died. got it towed to my uncle's and it sat for 3 years. possibly spun bearings but we'll see once i dig into it some more.

Friday comes around, I'm like ok cool another celica would be nice to have to work on but I'm still kinda broke so i'll let it simmer for now. then my cousin was like, "eh yo, if nobody's interested, I'm junking it today!"

so I hit her up and was all like, "ey ho, i'm interested yo, how much ya want for it?"

she was like "free fiddy!" and I'm like free fiddy?, she's like yeah free dollars and fiddy. you just gotta tow it out and it's yours.
so she left the title with my uncle but forgot the key so that will be mailed to me.

so for the price of towing, i got me a freelica. smile.gif

onto pick chars.

the pix my uncle sent me:

of course, first thing i do when it got dropped off was line up my green celi with it for a photoshoot. lol

then proceeded to clean the crap out of it.
BEFORE:

seats are trashed. had various smells of old pets and smoke.

seems to have taken a slight hit here. tail light's cracked and pushed in a bit...

came with a half torn apart system? lol

doors are typical of a midwest car. but seems to be the only bad rust i see on the body so far.

rear quarters looks surprisingly ok. this is the worst of it.

AFTER
gave it a quick wash to see what's left of the paint. hood's been spray canned and they didn't bother to mask anything so i had to spend some time scraping black overspray from the headlights and windshield....
she looks good from 30 maybe 20 ft. laugh.gif

dash cleaned up REALLY well. aside from the torn leather steering wheel (i have my stock one and a 3post to replace) and shifter, everything looks in relatively good shape.

I believe I should have an extra door panel to replace this if needed. there's dimples everywhere.

seats, I'll most likely trash. aside from having various stains and rips. the ever present smell of cigarettes just doesn't cut it for me and I still have my tan seats from my green one when I did the 7th gen interior swap.

overall, it only takes a bit of loving to make it able to sit next to my green one. smile.gif they're both pretty happy I'd say
navseal345
Let's hope you don't want the 7a in there for long if it does run.
cheela
hahaha yeah, I hear ya. one slow 7a is enough. I wouldn't be able to deal with 2.

not sure what my plans are for it yet. If I can fix it up cheap, might be a winter beater or sell it for $$$$. if not, it can be a parts car to supply my green one with a manual swap. and best solution would be to get the v6 from Chris and swap it into this for a fun sleeper, and still be able to do the manual swap on my green one. wink.gif
bloodMoney
I got you boo....
njccmd2002
what v6? what!!!! which!!!!
Box
Manual swap the green one with parts from the black one, then 1MZ/E153 swap the black one and turn it into a corner carver/track toy.
cheela
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Oct 2, 2017 - 2:28 PM) *
what v6? what!!!! which!!!!

3mz or 2gr. if i go 2gr, i'll be badgering you day and night just so you know. wink.gif
cheela
QUOTE (Box @ Oct 2, 2017 - 5:02 PM) *
Manual swap the green one with parts from the black one, then 1MZ/E153 swap the black one and turn it into a corner carver/track toy.

once i get some funds that's probably how it will go.
perkyshadow
Congrats on the FREE Celica!! Those are the best!
TimeslideZ
Nice, hey cannot complain if it's free right?
Since we already have both 3S types, a 1MZ, and a K20 up in the north... I'd say 3MZ or 2GR! Either car will be cool (BETTER YET, DO BOTH OF THEM).
Bushmatic
Wow that dash does look really nice! That's a pretty well-optioned car too
cheela
QUOTE (Bushmatic @ Oct 3, 2017 - 4:18 AM) *
Wow that dash does look really nice! That's a pretty well-optioned car too

it cleaned up very well. did not imagine this underneath the dirt and grime. lol
and yeah before i got any details, I was thinking it would be a GT what with it having almost all options of a GT. even leather wrapped steering wheel?!

QUOTE (perkyshadow @ Oct 2, 2017 - 8:17 PM) *
Congrats on the FREE Celica!! Those are the best!

had to save this dragon. felt bad letting it go to junkyard heaven. smile.gif

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Oct 2, 2017 - 11:18 PM) *
Nice, hey cannot complain if it's free right?
Since we already have both 3S types, a 1MZ, and a K20 up in the north... I'd say 3MZ or 2GR! Either car will be cool (BETTER YET, DO BOTH OF THEM).

k20's down though... lol
I gotta make room in my barn if I'm gonna start going deep into this project. we'll see. biggrin.gif
bloodMoney
You know, I happen to have an E153 too....

Jus' sayin'.
Box
My ST had the moonroof, power locks, power windows, cruise, and factory 14" alloys. I can't remember if mine had a leather wheel or not.
cheela

so... you're saying alls I gotta do it drop my celi off at your garage then? wink.gif

why did none of this go in any of your 6gcs? lol
bloodMoney
lmao!

I always had 96+ cars. No swaps due to emissions testing....

And no. I'm not doing any swaps in the near future. I'm just telling you that I have most of what you need.

peerpressurepeerpressurepeerpressurepeerpressurepeerpressure
peerpressurepeerpressurepeerpressurepeerpressurepeerpressure
cheela
ah yeah forgot you have emissions.... bleh. lol

you might have to hold on to them for a bit longer for me cuz while you says peerpressurepeerpressure, my own voice is saying youbrokeyoubrokeyoubroke.
hahah. my bank account is still in recovery mode since buying the house and trying to fill it with stuff, as well as planning and paying for a wedding, just need a few months to get out of the red first. if this car wasn't free, i wouldn't have even gotten it. if anything i was thinking it had at least a few hundred dollars in parts i could make quick and...... now it's another project car. LOL!
Box
Arrange payment installations, he clears up space now and you get stuff now and he gets money slowly but surely. It's a win win win.
bloodMoney
QUOTE (Box @ Oct 4, 2017 - 7:49 PM) *
Arrange payment installations, he clears up space now and you get stuff now and he gets money slowly but surely. It's a win win win.

Chee knows that if he really wants the stuff, all he has to do is tell me. We can work out the details later. That's part of the whole "Midwest 6gc" vibe...
cheela
so, I got the key today. thought i'd entertain myself and try starting it to see whats wrong. used a jumpstarter. connected to the battery, turn the key...... VROOM....???? what? I thought they said the engine gave out? a puff of smoke under the car and I can tell the flex pipe is busted so I try to put it in gear to move the car. 1st gear nothing, 2nd gear, nothing, 3rd, 4th, 5th, reverse... nothing... so i guess it wasn't spun bearings. looks like somebody toasted the clutch.

so it looks like i'll be do a clutch job instead or engine swap. I know most of you are booing me right now because you wanted an engine swap. but if this works out, I can have this black one as a daily driver and then focus on swapping my green one. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
mkernz22
QUOTE (cheela @ Oct 2, 2017 - 12:55 PM) *

You need some speaker grills? Cause I have a few sets of speaker grills laying around. At least I think I still have them...

QUOTE (cheela @ Oct 14, 2017 - 8:16 PM) *
so, I got the key today. thought i'd entertain myself and try starting it to see whats wrong. used a jumpstarter. connected to the battery, turn the key...... VROOM....???? what? I thought they said the engine gave out? a puff of smoke under the car and I can tell the flex pipe is busted so I try to put it in gear to move the car. 1st gear nothing, 2nd gear, nothing, 3rd, 4th, 5th, reverse... nothing... so i guess it wasn't spun bearings. looks like somebody toasted the clutch.

so it looks like i'll be do a clutch job instead or engine swap. I know most of you are booing me right now because you wanted an engine swap. but if this works out, I can have this black one as a daily driver and then focus on swapping my green one. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I would check the axles first. Just to rule them out. You just never know.
Box
Check for snapped shifter cables too!
cheela
I'm good on the speaker grills. they were just taken off for some reason?

yeah, talked with Daniel and we said it could be clutch, axles, or cables.
but I think cables might be ok because I can feel it go into each gear. just gotta wait for better weather to take a look. it's been 50s and rain this past week and this weekend looks just as bad too. rained all day today.
navseal345
It's amazing how some cars will start after years of not running & others... good luck.
cheela
yeah same thing with my RA24 when I bought it. the guy was like I don't know what's wrong with it, can't get it to start. we pushed it onto a dolly and towed it home. I started working on it, poured some starter fluid down the carb and it started just like a toyota should. lol
TimeslideZ
k20's down though... lol
I gotta make room in my barn if I'm gonna start going deep into this project. we'll see. biggrin.gif

Ahhh he'll get it rumning again. Still a k20 celica haha. Na just fo 7age! Lol or throw in a BT 20v and call it a day.
njccmd2002
the muffler bearing need lube.
cheela
I did check the headlight and blinker for fluids and refilled those but didn't think to check the muffler bearings! you're a genius!!
cheela
update:
so this past weekend we rolled it from the middle of the yard to underneath the carport and while we were rolling I did hear a clunking/scraping noise as we rolled it but didn't have time so I just left it at that.

Today, I went ahead and started it in gear and in the video you can hear a noise as it starts but then it goes away. With it in 1st and my foot on the clutch, it sounds normal but as soon as i let my foot off the clutch, you hear the clunking noise. so anytime the clutch isn't in now, it will clunk.

here's a video for a better explanation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUcIf59irS0
richee3
Holy bad knock! I’m pretty sure that’s the throwout bearing. Time to drop the trans.
njccmd2002
i kne it was a bearing of some sort....
cheela
QUOTE (richee3 @ Oct 18, 2017 - 9:46 PM) *
Holy bad knock! I’m pretty sure that’s the throwout bearing. Time to drop the trans.

yup. gonna be a fun one...

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Oct 18, 2017 - 9:57 PM) *
i kne it was a bearing of some sort....

you were close. wink.gif
NgoFcukinWay
You should take a black light to the interior and see what comes up....

While you're replacing that throw-out bearing, drop in an LS4 while you're at it. Might as well since the transmission is coming off.
Box
LS4, now there's an idea.
cheela
no thanks on the black light... i'd rather live in ignorance.

drop an LS4 off at my driveway and I will do it. biggrin.gif
Box
I'm going to start marketing UV black light interior light kits, "See things like you've never seen before!"
NgoFcukinWay
QUOTE (cheela @ Oct 22, 2017 - 6:43 PM) *
no thanks on the black light... i'd rather live in ignorance.

drop an LS4 off at my driveway and I will do it. biggrin.gif

Living dangerously there I see.....I like your style.

I'll think about that LS4.... I may send the imaginary one I have saved aside that I was going to use for the Accord.
cheela
but....... just to be safe, I'm gonna do this and put it all there for a bit, while I contemplate my life choices....

and is that imaginary LS4 the v-tec compatible version? those are much nicer than the regular ones.
navseal345
I think that the tan interior kinda seems to look a little better BUT it's hard to keep clean thus black carpet is better.
Box
I like the 25th Anniversary seats and the confetti Recaro seats the most, oh and the JDM seats that had that interesting clawed stripe pattern thing going on.
cheela
I do agree that the tan carpet looks a bit better, maybe because its brighter and when clean looks nicer. but I don't like the tan seats, they just look too bland for a celica. a nice set of recaros would be awesome but that would blow the budget for ANYTHING hahaha. perhaps I'll do some funky racing seats from fleabay.
NgoFcukinWay
Anything is V-Tak compatible if you try hard enough.
Box
Vtec just kicked in yo!
navseal345
QUOTE (cheela @ Oct 24, 2017 - 8:27 PM) *
I do agree that the tan carpet looks a bit better, maybe because its brighter and when clean looks nicer. but I don't like the tan seats, they just look too bland for a celica. a nice set of recaros would be awesome but that would blow the budget for ANYTHING hahaha. perhaps I'll do some funky racing seats from fleabay.

Exactly.
I wouldn't do race seats, to uncomfortable & hard to get in & out of for a daily.
Just find some nice clean ones & throw em in.
Box
That, especially cheapo eBay special racing seats. Corbeau is as cheap as I'd go for racing seats, preferably Recaro or Bride. Might look into doing some 7th gen seats.
njccmd2002
that car needs mr2 seat swap
cheela
QUOTE (navseal345 @ Oct 24, 2017 - 10:02 PM) *
QUOTE (cheela @ Oct 24, 2017 - 8:27 PM) *

Exactly.
I wouldn't do race seats, to uncomfortable & hard to get in & out of for a daily.
Just find some nice clean ones & throw em in.

yeah probably just stick my old tan ones from my green one into it. like u said, just for daily.

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 24, 2017 - 10:30 PM) *
That, especially cheapo eBay special racing seats. Corbeau is as cheap as I'd go for racing seats, preferably Recaro or Bride. Might look into doing some 7th gen seats.

lol, yeah again, I'm not breaking the budget for this thing. I already my other 3 projects for that. lol and already have 7th gens in my green one.... although if i get a nice set of bride or recaros for that one, i COULD throw the 7th gens in the freelica.... hmm....

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Oct 24, 2017 - 10:48 PM) *
that car needs mr2 seat swap

that sounds like a good option. do you know how they compare to 7th gen seats? comfortwise?
njccmd2002
not as comfortable, but very sleek
cheela
so it's getting colder and the freelica is just sitting in a carport so I have no motivation to change the clutch at this time unless it can be in the 70s again. It's gonna have to sit for a while.

but I decided to do some projects that could be done indoors. Took the seats apart and swapped my old seats from my green one to these rails. but not before cleaning them up. Didn't realize they were this dirty.

ammonia is great for taking stains out and i luckily had some on hand.

mixed it in with some detergent and sprayed away.

not bad.

comparison of the two, one clean and one not.

before

after

now my butt will be happy sitting in them again.
cheela
looks much better compared to these anyways.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.