Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project: I dunno yet ('99 GT)
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
navseal345
I'm back B%$#@s!

I just couldn't help myself, I needed to be able row through gears again; needed a project, something to do, something to cruise with w/ friends in the summer.

Somebody had posted a car on here it was a clean southern car that sale didn't happen & it just got me hooked, I needed to get back in another Celica.

I had been searching the car sales sites & found this on Jan. 18 on Craigslist in Denver, CO (had only been on there for a few days). Contacted the seller, blah, blah, blah. Flew out Feb. 3rd to pick it up. It's mine. BIG thanks to richee3 (a.k.a. Daniel) otherwise I would still be without a 6th gen. thumbsdown.gif

Had an absolute blast. Beat the crap out of the car the first few hours of ownership, drove to Colorado Springs, up Pikes Peak (it's a must for any automotive enthusiast). Car rides well, even a 100mph (Denver area Colorado drivers are the worst).

So the cooling issue... Bought the car on Saturday no problems at all, really nice outside about 57degrees. Drove down to Colorado Springs then up & down Pikes Peak no issues. You can hear the fans come on when the car is at operating temp. I mean NO issues at all, we beat the piss out of the car (is smooth at 100mph). I leave Sunday morning, about 30min outside of Denver the car overheats! WTF! I pull over & check, see that the only place coolant is coming out of is the overflow tank, but the fans aren't running, weird. Check fuses, good, swap some relays, nothing. Eventually Daniel tells me unplug the radiator temp sensor, all is good, fans work, so relays are ok. Put some coolant in (not very much was lost) & on my way. I notice that the car is running a little warm but I keep going. Fill up w/ gas at Julesburg, CO get back on the road & the car seems to run a little warmer even than before, WTF. So I'm messing w/ the heater trying different things to get the temp down, I notice that when heat is turned to full cold that the temp gauge spikes, it didn't do that before. I suspect the thermostat. I get to North Platte, NE. Pull into an O'Reillys, pop over the hood and look, no leaks, but the lower radiator hose is cold! Put a new thermostat in bleed the system. Plug the fans back in & they turn on correctly, lower radiator hose gets hot. Ok cool, I get on my way temp gauge is good going down there the road. A while down the road I pull into a rest stop to check... no leaks, temp is good, but the lower radiator hose is still cold! WTF! I'm like well car hasn't blow up yet, I continue with my journey. I get home park in the garage, pop the hood lower hose still cold. I let the car run for a few minutes & the hose gets warm & the fans kick on. [Copied from our PM cheela, lol]

The car hasn't overheated yet so I'm believing the thermostat was the fix but...

Now the clutch is toasted, go figure. I've been baby-ing it when driving cause especially after 3k rpms you could feel it. But I was driving it to work 2 weeks ago on a Wednesday morning in lovely traffic, go to give it some throttle (maybe a 1/2, I dunno) in 5th & she shoots to 5k rpms & really goes no where, lol, sorry traffic. That smell is really nasty, haha.

Here is the Flickr album ... I'll try and embed photos w/ captions and/ or details later.
richee3
QUOTE (navseal345 @ Mar 27, 2018 - 8:56 PM) *
BIG thanks to richee3 (a.k.a. Daniel) otherwise I would still be without a 6th gen. thumbsdown.gif

It’s no problem! Glad to have you back in a 6gc! And raiding the junk yard is always a good time.

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Mar 27, 2018 - 8:56 PM) *
(Denver area Colorado drivers are the worst).

Truer words have never been spoken. They like to blame the “transplants” but it’s not our fault that they have no clue how to drive.
Box
Took this long to tell everyone? GAH.
ClevelandGaint
Welcome back!!! Not having a 6gc should be a crime.
navseal345
QUOTE (Box @ Mar 27, 2018 - 10:38 PM) *
Took this long to tell everyone? GAH.

Yeah, sorry. I'm a very good procrastinator.

I realized soon after I sold my first one I made a huge mistake. It's been 6-ish years. Feels good to be back.
cheela
QUOTE (navseal345 @ Mar 27, 2018 - 9:56 PM) *
[Copied from our PM cheela, lol]

LOL I was reading through and was thinking hey, that's pretty much what he wrote to.... ah yup. it is. laugh.gif

looking through your album, and those 7th gen seats in red are perfect for your celi. you're gonna miss the extra cushion of the 6th gen seats but they just look so good.
bloodMoney
Woot! Excited to see where this goes!!!
CoolZeen
welcome to the "RED'' CLUB. I KNOw you dont like it ,cheela . but we are to many.
cheela
haha! yeah I don't like red, but yet TWO of the FOUR cars I own are red...lol.
but hopefully my RA29 will be white at some point and my RA24, matte black.

It's all good. Not gonna hate on a clean red celi though. Just that it's not my first choice for color.
Box
I'll hate on red, WORST COLOUR EVA.
CoolZeen
thats the reason i like mine because is not that factory red. is allot more brighter . i call it ferrari red. Lets see how it will be looking when it comes out the body shop.
C3lic4
Would like to see where this goes too. Good luck!
navseal345
It's going no where very, very fast. Mostly have no motivation after work during the week & weekends have been to cold to go & work in the garage.

I want to get the interior apart & cleaned, seats swapped over & such and the clutch.
CoolZeen
QUOTE (navseal345 @ Mar 30, 2018 - 1:13 PM) *
It's going no where very, very fast. Mostly have no motivation after work during the week & weekends have been to cold to go & work in the garage.

I want to get the interior apart & cleaned, seats swapped over & such and the clutch.

you just have to choose a day. and as soon as you start ,you will get motivated when you start seeing the results ,you will not want to stop. Plus you got us waiting!
njccmd2002

a link, is not a pic
navseal345
Ok... (sorry it took a long ass time)

Here are the photos from the sellers Craigslist ad...

And here is/ was the ad
navseal345
Here was my Facebook reveal, lol...

And how can you not take a car you just bought up Pikes Peak...
Thanks richee3 for some of these photos (taken just after the halfway point)

From my potato cam...

Top of Pikes Peak (looking manly east), Elevation 14,115ft. Wait for it... wait for it...

wait for it... wait for it... There it is! (looking manly south)
navseal345
Fixed the battery hold down...

Better than a rubber hold down

Made a junkyard run... Got a full set of floor mats, black carpet, interior trunk plastics & a few other misc. pieces. And it only cost me $42!

Took the carpet & mats to the car wash & gave them good cleaning!

Like a week later went back & got some 7th gen seats & some other interior carpet bits for only like $50!

Not the biggest fan of the feel/ design of the 7th gen seats butt they sure are better then the faded/dry/ torn tan leather ones. They will do for now.

I still need to really get going on this project
Clutch is toasted,
I have parts sitting in the living room just need a free weekend/ rack at work to do it.
It will get done! (I hope. lol, jk)
Box
It is a great car for a first driver, they speak troofs.
bloodMoney
I like where this is headed!
TimeslideZ
Nice!!! But damn those photos are huge, had to reduce my screen size to like 33% to get a good view haha.
navseal345
Knew someone would say that, lol.
I did that so that all could get the full experience, lol.
Box
It auto adjusts size for me, so meh.
navseal345
Did some work on Sunday. Started taking the interior apart. Had ordered new speakers & when taking the speaker panels out on the right side found some previous damage. Looks like it was repaired well?

Started putting the speakers in at work because that's where all my tools are. I was really hoping that it would be easier, like bolt in easy but stuff like that never happens.

Tried to take the least amount of material off, speakers don't seem to be to much heavier than the stockers. Still need to finish them up.

This is the progress...

bloodMoney
Woot! Progress!
cheela
should put your black interior in while you're at it.
navseal345
That's the plan. Just got to clean/ scrub stuff down before I put it all back together.
navseal345
So I finally got the factory alarm key fob programmed. Thanks to cheela / richee3.

The little "piezo chirper" sounds like a dying rabbit but the alarm/ keyless entry works now. And now I can put the horn fuse back in & I can have a horn & not worry about that going off w/ the alarm.

Clutch is going in this weekend, hell or high water, it'll happen.
richee3
So the alarm works perfectly fine now?
navseal345
Yep! Turned off the "Passive" mode or whatever it is called. I can leave the door open & it doesn't go bat **** crazy.
richee3
Awesome, glad it was something easy!
cheela
glad it worked out for at least one of us. lol
navseal345
Put the car on the 2 post this weekend...

I'm liking that it's fairly rust free underneath.

Found some previous accident damage, oh well...

Got the clutch done (replaced the flywheel also). I really don't want to EVER do that again. Took way longer than what I thought it was going to (basically a 2 day project). Tried to clean stuff up, years of engine oil & clutch dust. Ended up putting in 2 new axles seals & a starter (someone had over tightened the nut that holds the power wire to the starter & when I went to go take it off the stud that goes into the starter broke inside the starter case, it was a reman unit) & of course the reman unit sounds like **** & seems like it grinds. Got to find a higher quality one or used OE from the junkyard.
I'm believing that the clutch might have been the OG w/ ~ 169,320miles because it had AISIN stamped on it, but whatevs.

Box
Those hotspots on the flywheel though. FWIW Aisin makes o.e. replacement clutches for certain applications, but that one definitely looks all of 169,000 miles.
navseal345
Yeah, I put an Aisin one back in. Super happy I didn't have to adjust the clutch pedal at all.
Box
Now you get to break the clutch in, exciting.
richee3
Update time!
navseal345
QUOTE (richee3 @ Jul 2, 2018 - 9:15 PM) *
Update time!

Lol. You're a funny man.
bloodMoney
Oh come on... You have all that interior to put in it!
navseal345
Ok, ok.

Chris, that starter works wonderfully. Cleaned it up a little w/ a wire wheel & installed that last Friday during lunch. Much better than that loud piece of chit I got from Hoe'Riellys.

Got some vids of both I'll upload sometime.

And yesterday I went to the car wash & power washed the carpet & other floor mats.
I want to get the carpet in this weekend since it will be "somewhat" cooler.

Not sure the best way to clean those black leather seats. Some parts of the seats are pretty dry & hard. Just might spray them off & rub them down w/ something.

We'll see what happens.

richee3
Interior cleaner and a Magic Eraser works wonders to clean leather seats, but you have to be careful so you don’t end up pulling the dye out of the seat. As for softening it, I’ve heard Vaseline will do the job but I don’t have any experience with that so further research is needed.
NgoFcukinWay
QUOTE (navseal345 @ Jul 5, 2018 - 12:31 PM) *
Not sure the best way to clean those black leather seats. Some parts of the seats are pretty dry & hard. Just might spray them off & rub them down w/ something.

We'll see what happens.

Not sure how bad the leather is, but give Leatherique a try. If that doesn't work, my next suggestion before getting them re-wrapped is Connolly Hide Food.

If neither of those work, then you can at least use those products on other **** around the house like purses, shoes, belts, etc.

That Connolly works wonders on purses if you have an S.O. that has a worn-out bag. Massage it into the leather, leave it out in the sun for a little while, and BAM! good to go.
cheela
QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Jul 6, 2018 - 7:53 AM) *

We'll see what happens.

Not sure how bad the leather is, but give Leatherique a try. If that doesn't work, my next suggestion before getting them re-wrapped is Connolly Hide Food.

If neither of those work, then you can at least use those products on other **** around the house like purses, shoes, belts, etc.

That Connolly works wonders on purses if you have an S.O. that has a worn-out bag. Massage it into the leather, leave it out in the sun for a little while, and BAM! good to go.

You know way too much about purses.... and you have no S.O... which leads to believe one thing for sure.....

You're a purse salesman!!

watch out for this guy, he'll try to sell you a purse!
NgoFcukinWay
Well, if you wanna score brownie points...gotta do what you gotta do.
njccmd2002
came here for update, and went out side. too much lip
bloodMoney
Ok, ok.

Chris, that starter works wonderfully. Cleaned it up a little w/ a wire wheel & installed that last Friday during lunch. Much better than that loud piece of chit I got from Hoe'Riellys.

Got some vids of both I'll upload sometime.

And yesterday I went to the car wash & power washed the carpet & other floor mats.
I want to get the carpet in this weekend since it will be "somewhat" cooler.

We'll see what happens.

I'm glad it worked well! I sounded good when I pulled it out of that junk car, so I didn't expect any surprises.
Box
For the love of all that is holy don't use petroleum on leather, Meguiar's Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner works really well.
bloodMoney
Well there you go Devin.

Personally, I use Leather CPR. Haven't the damndest clue what's in it, but it works good.
narly_charley
This thread sucks... We need moar fotos.

Just kidding about the thread sucking part - you know I kid... He he.
cheela
Idk if he's kidding. He's really not the kidding type. and.... this thread does seem to lack a certain visual imagery of the digital type....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.