Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manual shifter linkage popping out
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
youngestEVer
Hello all,

I hope everyone is doing well! I’ve got a 1996 Celica gt convertible, and I’m having an issue with my shifter. I’ll attach a photo of it, but the little plastic ball on the shifter feels very loose as it slides into the white plastic part of the shifter cable. Am I missing a part here? Because it has come off several times now after shifting and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks for any advise!

cheela
hello there!
check and see if you're missing the little clip that goes on the clip. The ball and linkage slide onto each other pretty easily, it's the clip that holds it and keeps it from falling out. I'm guessing you're missing that or maybe the plastic is worn away and become too big.

youngestEVer
QUOTE (cheela @ May 31, 2019 - 6:25 PM) *
hello there!
check and see if you're missing the little clip that goes on the clip. The ball and linkage slide onto each other pretty easily, it's the clip that holds it and keeps it from falling out. I'm guessing you're missing that or maybe the plastic is worn away and become too big.

Thanks so much for the reply!! :-)

Ugh...having trouble figuring out how to attach a picture!

Try using this link.. https://ibb.co/f2whBsy for the picture. Yours looks so much nicer and made of metal! Yeah mine has no clips, but I also see that yours has more of the "ridges" to hold the clips than mine does. What do y'all recommend I do?

Thanks!
Box
Well, could try finding the retainer and bushing cup off a car in a junk yard. Until then you might try packing the bushing cup with some grease to see if that helps temporarily.
cheela
a metal wire twisted around there might even hold up for a while until you find the retainer clip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.