Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Retracting Rear Brake Piston
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Suspension/Handling/Braking
Mr_Man
Howdy.

Just a quick question about resetting the brake piston on the rears. I have a 1996 ST202 3SGE.

Do our pistons rotate as they retract, or do they just move straight back? Also, if they do rotate, which direction?

Just need to figure out my best course of action if the piston happens to be seized.

Cheers!
richee3
They simply push back in, no rotation necessary. Sounds like you may have a seized caliper if it isn’t pushing back in.
Mr_Man
QUOTE (richee3 @ Aug 29, 2019 - 12:57 PM) *
They simply push back in, no rotation necessary. Sounds like you may have a seized caliper if it isn’t pushing back in.

Thanks.

Yeah, plus the bleeder valves won't budge either. Both sides. My own fault for not bleeding the brakes sooner.

I had the caliper off, pushed the brake pedal in and you could see the brake line moving, but the piston was going nowhere.

Ordered two replacement calipers and a rebuild kit.

Might see if I can plast the seized pistons to the moon with a foot pump or grease gun once I have the old calipers out.
narly_charley
Welcome to my world. I seem to be the most unlucky person in the world when it comes to brakes. I've owned a handful of vehicles in the little time that I've had my license and I've had to replace at least one caliper on every vehicle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.