> 3rd gen 3sgte in OBD2 car, Need help with NJ state inspection
post Dec 18, 2017 - 5:13 PM
+Quote Post
JamesNYC

Enthusiast

Joined Nov 27, '17
From NYC
Currently Offline

As the title states, I have a 1996 OBD2 vehicle with a GEN3 swap, and I need to get it inspected. The shop tried plugging in to the OBD2 port, but it would not communicate with the state software. What are my options? Is there a wiring fix, would a standalone help? I am sure I am not the first person trying to inspect an OBD2 car with a JDM engine in NJ. I hope there is an easy fix here.

Start new topic
Replies
post Dec 18, 2017 - 8:53 PM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

No wiring fix - all wiring is good, but JDM ECU uses a different OBD2 protocol (there are several).
Standalone will not talk to the state computer either. It's illegal for standalone's to do so (they're technically off-road use only), so they don't.
Either get ready to swap the engine every year, get a 94-95 chassis, or dive into the world of 2 computers running your car - fool the "legal" one into thinking it is running the show (with all the emissions crap it will look for) while another computer (standalone or your JDM one) runs the engine.

Allegedly there are shops out there that will hook you up, but it's kinda difficult in NY (read: expensive) as NY state software is pretty sophisticated newer generation emissions crap.
No easy fix for this one. If you find one, let me know. I'm in the same boat and would really appreciate that.

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: June 13th, 2024 - 4:10 PM