+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Oct 9, 2013 - 7:45 PM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Oct 9, 2013 - 8:43 PM) *
Hey Kurt, who did your harness and wasn't it fairly cheap?

His priced jumped from what I've been told

Of course it would. redface.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 9, 2013 - 8:14 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

Went from 380 to 600.
post Oct 9, 2013 - 8:30 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Went the wrong direction, the more you do the cheaper they get.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 9, 2013 - 10:01 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bnr32celica @ Oct 9, 2013 - 8:47 PM) *
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Oct 9, 2013 - 8:42 PM) *
why don't you just buy a lightweight flywheel? it'd probably be worth your while.
Oh, and did you check to make sure that the starter will work with that flywheel? The offset could be different on it, and it might be bigger/smaller than the stock so you'd have to mod stuff to get it to work.

Had the backside of the flywheel machined. I can put 12v to it tonight or tomorrow once bolted up and see before I throw it in the car.

A lightweight flywheel is prohibitively expensive at this point unless the 4runner flywheel doesn't work. Not being cheap perse, but Iwant to see if there' lower-cost options.

No, I mean as in when the flywheel is bolted to the engine, the transmission is on, and the starter is bolted it. If you have a smaller / bigger flywheel, the starter might not fit properly or the gear won't line up with the flywheel.
post Oct 9, 2013 - 11:52 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Oct 9, 2013 - 11:01 PM) *
why don't you just buy a lightweight flywheel? it'd probably be worth your while.
Oh, and did you check to make sure that the starter will work with that flywheel? The offset could be different on it, and it might be bigger/smaller than the stock so you'd have to mod stuff to get it to work.

Had the backside of the flywheel machined. I can put 12v to it tonight or tomorrow once bolted up and see before I throw it in the car.

A lightweight flywheel is prohibitively expensive at this point unless the 4runner flywheel doesn't work. Not being cheap perse, but Iwant to see if there' lower-cost options.

No, I mean as in when the flywheel is bolted to the engine, the transmission is on, and the starter is bolted it. If you have a smaller / bigger flywheel, the starter might not fit properly or the gear won't line up with the flywheel.

4runner 3vz flywheel is 236mm and 120 teeth. The issue was on the backside. It bolted up, but protruded about 9mm too far because of that. Machine work fixed that.
post Oct 10, 2013 - 1:09 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

ok first..

I dont get what happened to your car? why was it towed?

second if i get it right.... 2000 bucks on your 1mz list, and that does not include the 700 + wiring?

third... are u still swapping or selling, lol.....

wish u luck, hope you get your car going...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Oct 10, 2013 - 1:51 AM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Oct 10, 2013 - 2:09 AM) *
ok first..

I dont get what happened to your car? why was it towed?

second if i get it right.... 2000 bucks on your 1mz list, and that does not include the 700 + wiring?

third... are u still swapping or selling, lol.....

wish u luck, hope you get your car going...

I am definitely swapping her. I had what I thought was a good deal on the wiring but was taken for a ride. I don't want to get into the towing debacle but lets just say someone tried a fast one and got caught
post Oct 10, 2013 - 2:28 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

how difficult can the wiring be?

who took the wiring for a ride? thats funny.. JK.

wiring should not be that bad..

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Oct 10, 2013 - 2:51 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I can do electrical, I just hate doing it. That being said I'd try and save the $600 people are charging now. The hardest part is figuring it out for the first time, then after you've written down which wire goes to what wire then it's just a matter of physical labour on subsequent harnesses. Maybe I'll just start making harnesses for everyone, charge a few hundred dollars and after 10 or so harnesses that means a free swap for me. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 10, 2013 - 5:34 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bnr32celica @ Oct 10, 2013 - 12:52 AM) *

4runner 3vz flywheel is 236mm and 120 teeth. The issue was on the backside. It bolted up, but protruded about 9mm too far because of that. Machine work fixed that.

you still don't get what I'm trying to say. :facepalm: have fun doing this.
post Oct 10, 2013 - 11:01 AM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Oct 10, 2013 - 6:34 AM) *
QUOTE (bnr32celica @ Oct 10, 2013 - 12:52 AM) *

you still don't get what I'm trying to say. :facepalm: have fun doing this.

I had this big long reply typed out, but I'll leave it at this: I'm drunk as **** right now and cranked the drivetrain off a pallet. I heard some pistons move and compression escape (plugs are out), so I'm pretty sure my idea worked.

I work best when I drink heavily, so I'm going to keep on keepin' on and try to get this thing cleaned up and sittin' pretty in the bay.

I told work screw off today, because I'm drinking and working on my baby, the only woman who's never left me over some bull**** ass ****.

you know what, I'm gonna put it out there because I'm drunk enough to not give a **** right now: **** bitches, swap Celis.

I'm going to Arby's.

OUT!
post Oct 10, 2013 - 11:25 AM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

I got your message, I'll give you a call later today.

--------------------
post Oct 10, 2013 - 12:05 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Batman722 @ Oct 10, 2013 - 12:25 PM) *
I got your message, I'll give you a call later today.

Thanks D!

I'll be in and out of service, just leave a text and I'll get right back at you.
post Oct 12, 2013 - 5:44 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

So, the 4runner flywheel definitely works if you do some machine work. When machined to spec, the ring gear is in the same position as a car 236mm flywheel. My total investment was $140 with a resurface. Even thoughit was brand new, I had some room to work with, sothey shaved it down a bit.

Machine spec:

Mating surface-ring gear depth: .030"
Additional protrusion of contact surface over 3S flywheel: .070"

Get the 4runner flywheel there and you're guns and butter. You can even use the 3S/1MZ flywheel bolts. I did, and I was able to properly torque them to the 4runner spec of 61 lb/ft plus a 90. I used the 4runner spec as I am using a heavier 4runner flywheel and it couldn't hurt.

The 3S pressure plate also fits it perfectly with no issues at all. I don't know how much metal they took off, but it was significant enough to feel lighter.

Now, why stick with a flywheel that's heavier and not a direct fit? Drivability. A heavier flywheel improves engine braking, promotes economy, and is easier to drive. I'm not trying to win races, but if it happens, cool.

I also know 99% of motherf*ckers on here don't really give a sh*t about me or what I'm doing, but if it helps one person, then it's worth it.
post Oct 12, 2013 - 5:54 PM
+Quote Post
kevin311

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 23, '12
From North Carolina
Currently Offline

Any and all working combinations are helpful my friend! Glad it worked out.
post Oct 12, 2013 - 6:18 PM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bnr32celica @ Oct 12, 2013 - 6:44 PM) *
So, the 4runner flywheel definitely works if you do some machine work. When machined to spec, the ring gear is in the same position as a car 236mm flywheel. My total investment was $140 with a resurface. Even thoughit was brand new, I had some room to work with, sothey shaved it down a bit.

Machine spec:

Get the 4runner flywheel there and you're guns and butter. You can even use the 3S/1MZ flywheel bolts. I did, and I was able to properly torque them to the 4runner spec of 61 lb/ft plus a 90. I used the 4runner spec as I am using a heavier 4runner flywheel and it couldn't hurt.

The 3S pressure plate also fits it perfectly with no issues at all. I don't know how much metal they took off, but it was significant enough to feel lighter.

Now, why stick with a flywheel that's heavier and not a direct fit? Drivability. A heavier flywheel improves engine braking, promotes economy, and is easier to drive. I'm not trying to win races, but if it happens, cool.

I also know 99% of motherf*ckers on here don't really give a sh*t about me or what I'm doing, but if it helps one person, then it's worth it.

only "mother****ers" on here who dont really give a **** about you or what your doing are the people that took the time out of theyre lives to try and help you, only to have theyre time wasted in return.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Oct 12, 2013 - 6:35 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

QUOTE (presure2 @ Oct 12, 2013 - 7:18 PM) *
QUOTE (bnr32celica @ Oct 12, 2013 - 6:44 PM) *

Machine spec:

only "mother****ers" on here who dont really give a **** about you or what your doing are the people that took the time out of theyre lives to try and help you, only to have theyre time wasted in return.

And I took that to heart. There's a reason why I called out of work pretty much all this week. Well, that, and the fact that I was stewed like a can of tomatoes. I don't like disappointing people at all, and I know I did that. As a result, I realized I had a LOT of work yet to do, and t took me a lot longer than I thought it would. I got the car in a garage, kept the booze and stuff flowing, and hammered out. I even hammered my phone literally. I suppose the guy walking off with my harness is karma. No worries, it is what it is. I don't know half of what I thought I did on these cars, and approaching it like I knew it all ****ed me good.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that i have made tons of mistakes so far, and maybe those mistakes needed to be made, but maybe I shouldn't have allowed life to interfere as much as it did. This past week as a guy, alone in his garage has given me time to refocus, get the mind right, and hammer out. No longer the neglected Celica, she actually resembles a car now.

Smashed the phone setting the motor in, when I get a new one, I'll pop some pics out.
post Oct 12, 2013 - 8:46 PM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

i am totally fustrated with the level of bull**** here.
justin, im sorry, but your nothing but a liar.
i have 0 respect for you, your car, and what youve done.
i hope that someday you will learn from this thread, and the people that have taken time out to try and help you, only to be lied to, and be made a fool of.
ill tell ya this, you will never make a fool of me, or any of my friends again, in any way if i can help it at all.
guys like you shouldnt be allowed on 6gc

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Oct 13, 2013 - 1:44 AM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

http://www.ratko.org/automatic-to-manual-t...ta-camry-v6-le/

This is required reading for guys who are using the 94-95 1MZ.

I was trying to explain this to Dustin tonight, but I wasn't near the iPad. It explains how to fool the ECU among other things. This is what I sent my harness back out for, replete with a printout. I cannot wire engines (stereos, sure, but reading diagrams for wiring isn't something I do well at all), so thus I was at someone else's mercy.

I'll have to go over there tomorrow and snap some good pics for you guys, I'm on a burn phone right now.

I couldn't understand 80% of the conversation we were having tonight, so if things were misconstrued or misunderstood.

Here's a timeline of events since the 1st tomaybe bring everyone on the same page:

10/1: the motor is sitting pretty in the bay, harness builder comes over to check and see if harness is good. It starts the car. Woot!

10/1: harness builder and I pull the engine from the bay, I remove harness from engine and hand to him with a copy of the article. We agree Saturday to meet, with Sunday as a worst-case. Transmission was not installed at this point, we achieved the above by holding the starter and using jumper cables grounded to the frame. Scary stuff, that starter has some recoil!

10/2: my car breaks down in RI. This has effectively killed two days of prep time.

10/5: I receive a call that my harness should be delivered to me by 2pm on the 6th. I'm excited, this means when I get the flywheel mated up to the engine, she should run well and I can get it into some gears.

10/6: manny, Dustin, and Stef show up. We find out that my 4runner flywheel isn't going to work without some work. Oops, should have measured...but I didn't have anything to go on as my engine was from an automatic. Manny gets me some measurements, we get the motor pretty much ready for the transmission. Harness builder doesn't show, doesn't return calls.

10/7: car towed illegally! However, I'm literally a flywheel away from a complete swap, so I figure I might as well finish the swap and hope I get my harness. Drop the flywheels off (Manny brought an ST205 one) and explain what I need. Without the ST205 unit, I couldn't have even begun to explain what I needed done.

10/8: car located and brought to my uncle's. Flywheel is done and ready for pickup...but I'm too busy moving a motor and transmission (and most of my stuff too) from my house. No response from harness builder still, at thi point I'm reading the writing on the wall. I know he has a V6 project going on in a 6G himself, I'm assuming the worst.

10/9: the real work starts. Flywheel picked up, we mate it, it looks gorgeous. My existing new 5S disk and the 3SGTE pressure plate (thanks Manny!) are mated to the engine. We also clean the interior with vigor. We get the transmission on the motor, a couple bolt holes are off, we get one retapped all nice, so as of right now, I have 3 bolts in the transmission in addition to the two starter bolts. Looks like the S54 only uses about 5 bolts anyhow to mate, so one more would be nice.

10/10: the moment of truth. Before installing the motor and transmission back in the bay, we jump the starter. Good news, it engages just fine, but thanks to the 36 beers we've already downed, my motor leaps off the pallet with vigor. No damage. We decide to go ahead and throw the bitch in. As I'm lowering the motor into the bay, I hear a nasty crunch...and that would be my phone. Where I work on this thing, I have very little service, if any, but I found if I rest it on the transmission side mount, I get SOMETHING. Famous last action. I spend $10 on a cheapass phone to slap the SIM and in while I lube up the asshole for the raping I'm gonna get buying a new phone out of contract. No camera, but I can text. Good enough.

10/11: she's perma-set. My uncle puts the car 3' in the air with his air jack and we analyze the exhaust situation. The rear o2's final placement is decided, and we thread a plug into the rear manifold and block off the EGR. The Chevy y-pipe I got for free has an o2 port on one of the pipes. Puts it straight up in the tunnel, but that's better than fighting with a steering rack, eh? He also mocks up an axle mount that kicks ass and is overbuilt. I hope I don't break it. I have a habit of being able to do that sort of thing. You should have seen the carrier mount on my Escort GT!

10/12: STILL no word from my harness builder. There goes $300 and my harnesses. Luckily, I have spares. I'm resigning myself to the notion of paying mr220v the $630 or so for him to do it. The budget is now officially not just broken, but shattered. This swap is turning into 10lbs of sh*t in a 5lb bag, but hey, I signed up for it.

10/12: Dustin calls me back, I can't understand a good 80% of our conversation at all. Something about posting a picture of the bay was mentioned, I was unable to do so at that time thanks to no service for one, and also, I'm on a burn phone. My integrity is questioned.

Listen, I'm not trying to say I'm the world's most virtuous guy, but for having a really bad couple weeks on a personal, professional, and mental level, I've been doing a job holding it together. I don't normally drink, but when I do, I become a hammer and do things. I also get angry and am pretty much intolerable...but don't call me a liar when you know that I've been doing what I can. I caught a break and had some extra hands, and we hammered out. Of course, I imposed the break myself and probably burned a bridge, but this car needs to be done.

I'm hoping tomorrow to get over there and take some decent pictures for y'all. I have a couple questions that I can better ask if I have pictures to show.
post Oct 13, 2013 - 6:21 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

--------------------

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 16th, 2024 - 5:54 PM