> Sway Bar Bushings...
post Sep 16, 2008 - 10:16 PM
+Quote Post
Athorn

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '08
From Clearwater, Fl
Currently Offline

It seems like there is a new topic every few days associaated with bad sway bar bushings. My rear left on my car makes a terrible noise. I just want to know where the best plast to get new ones is. Also.. i am very new to suspension mods/problems... do i have to take out the struts and springs to install the bushings? Someone said that the sway bar bushings are connected twith the rear arm and the whole thing has to be replaced. Is this true?
post Sep 16, 2008 - 11:30 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

just the bushings need to be replaced, they're about $7 each from the dealer.

--------------------
post Sep 17, 2008 - 12:42 AM
+Quote Post
GotToyota

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '07
From Fort Worth, TX
Currently Offline

I need to get new ones as well since my whole rear makes a horrible noise. I'll get it taken care of one of these days, but I'll let you guys know if it gets rid of my noise.
post Sep 17, 2008 - 2:41 AM
+Quote Post
Coligion

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 27, '07
From Tucson, AZ
Currently Offline

I'm in the same ballpark. I just ordered a set a rear bushings from the dealer. Hope to get them installed tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that the noise gets resolved rolleyes.gif
post Sep 17, 2008 - 2:45 AM
+Quote Post
purplegt4

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 7, '03
From Northern Virginia
Currently Offline

there could also be a noise from the sway bar end links.
post Sep 17, 2008 - 3:37 AM
+Quote Post
Galcobar

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 3, '05
From Richmond, B.C.
Currently Offline

Sway bar bushings are pieces of rubber slipped around the sway bar, cheap from the dealer and easy to replace (it'll take longer to get the car up on jack stands than to swap the bushings).

Sway bar endlinks connect the bar to the struts. More expensive at about US$80 for a pair, and more difficult to remove if the allen key hole has rusted enough to round out when you try to remove them. A pair of locking pliers/vice grips applied to the rubber section can work to the same effect, but ruins the old pair.

The rear arm that person was referring to is not the sway bar, but the suspension arms. Celicas come with four, running in pairs laterally from the rear chassis to the axle carriers. The bushings/bearings on those suspension arms are a common source of a clunk in the rear suspension, and require replacement of the entire arm at about US$90 per arm. The No. 2 arms (the rear arms of each pair) aren't too bad to replace, as they only require removing a couple of nuts, but the No. 1 arms require lowering the fuel tank to be able to remove the bolt holding the arms to the chassis (well, technically the arms connect to a suspension brace which is bolted to the chassis but for simplicity...).

Good test -- when you're replacing the sway bar bushings, try moving the suspension while the sway bar is hanging free. You can manipulate the end links, suspension arms, and the struts (bad strut mounts are also a suspect). A prybar can also be used to pressure the suspension arm connections -- if it clunks, you've found your problem.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 10th, 2024 - 4:58 AM