> 88 Alltrac
post Nov 9, 2014 - 5:06 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Figure I would start this here instead of post more crap in my thread.

As some of you know, I picked up an ST165 Alltrac yesterday.
Yes, I got it for an absolute steal because the guy thought it was seized.
His story: I was pulling into my apartment complex, the engine shut off, and the wheels locked up.
I thought: Okay, doesn't really sound like it seized up...
So I get the car back to my house start charging the battery for a bit and just try cranking it. It turned over slightly because of the dead battery. Kept charging it and about 3 hours later, and after 1 slight catch and die, it starts up just fine. No knocking, no squealing except for the alt belt, sounded amazing, but it kept stalling out. So I gave it gas and held it at 1k rpm's and it would hold there fine on it's own. If I revved it up it would come down, drop below 1k to about 500 and would stall. I figured it had to be vac related cause it was getting everything else.
He told me he had replaced this "coolant" hose on the back side of the engine because it was leaking. The piece he replaced it with was way too long and had 2 kinks in it. Not really that great flowing for coolant. I looked at it more to see where it went, and well I'll be damned, it went to the IAC. No****ingwonder why the car kept stalling out. It wasn't receiving the correct vac at low rpm's. :facepalm: x1,000,000. and this kid is going to New England tech too. So help me god I hope he gets some common sense and learns more.

Now for a list of the mods done to it.
From the PO before this guy:
-Rear poly bushings on all the control arms, don't think he touched the subframe or rear diff, but will check on that
-MR2 rear struts / cut front springs (oh well)
-ST185 front calipers
-CT26 was sent out to a shop and trimmed. Talked to the guy and he said it might be a 60 trim now.
-Exhaust / Water / Oil temp gauges
-Boost gauge (stock still works too)
-HKS Electronic Boost Controller
-Blitz Turbo Timer
-St205 transmission and rear differential. Both are confirmed now.
-gForce ECU chip - semi confirmed, still have to open and check.
-Stupid f*cking hood pins. They're the flushish locking ones. Just need to buy new ones since I don't have the key or get a new hood.
-3" Downpipe to 3" straight exhaust to a Megan Racing muffler.
-JDM block / US head / EGR delete
-ST162 Cams

From the guy I bought it off of:
-Rebuilt bottom end; new pistons, rings, bearings, 1.6 or 1.8mm metal head gasket, ARP headstuds

Photos:

^My cluster**** of a wiring mess I need to clean up and redo. Definitely need some plugs in there...

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Nov 18, 2014 - 11:22 AM
post Nov 9, 2014 - 6:29 PM
+Quote Post
OrangeCelica95

Enthusiast

Joined Nov 4, '14
From Pittsburgh, PA.
Currently Offline

I love those old alltracs. Good buy!

--------------------
You can read the brochure

OC95
post Nov 9, 2014 - 6:31 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Nice. How much is a steal, out of curiosity?

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 9, 2014 - 7:09 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

That's an awesome buy, Mike! I'm jealous!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 9, 2014 - 7:33 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 9, 2014 - 6:31 PM) *
Nice. How much is a steal, out of curiosity?

Erm, $750. biggrin.gif

And the list is updated a little after talking to the PO before the guy I bought it off of.

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Nov 9, 2014 - 7:37 PM
post Nov 9, 2014 - 9:59 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

damn. nice... you have the missing parts?

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 9, 2014 - 10:38 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Nov 9, 2014 - 9:59 PM) *
damn. nice... you have the missing parts?

I don't have a privacy cover for the hatch, but I tore into the center console today, then took pictures afterward.
Sadly, I had to toss the rear seats. The foam was sh!t and the leather was completely shot. I could save them to get reupholstered, but I don't know...

I'm also trying to acquire another car of the guy I bought it from for cheap, and the PO who did the majority of the work has a bunch of stuff laying around still. So he's going to get it altogether and just give it to me. I just have to pick it all up and it's over 2 hours away. I mean free parts, it's worth it.
post Nov 10, 2014 - 12:45 AM
+Quote Post
HaysoosKreesto

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 4, '09
From Sacramento, California
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Nov 9, 2014 - 6:06 PM) *
I figured it had to be vac related cause it was getting everything else.
He told me he had replaced this "coolant" hose on the back side of the engine because it was leaking. The piece he replaced it with was way too long and had 2 kinks in it. Not really that great flowing for coolant. I looked at it more to see where it went, and well I'll be damned, it went to the IAC. No****ingwonder why the car kept stalling out. It wasn't receiving the correct vac at low rpm's. :facepalm: x1,000,000. and this kid is going to New England tech too. So help me god I hope he gets some common sense and learns more.

LMAO!

Awesome on the deal though, sounds like a really fun project and free parts are always cool too

--------------------
Brand new 6gc owner! (sort of 2011)

The world is moving around a sun, the sun moves around a local arm of the galaxy, the local arm of the galaxy moves around a gigantic black hole.
post Nov 12, 2014 - 6:24 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

So I cleaned up some wiring, took out the 2 gauges on the pillar because the exhaust temp sensor is broken and I realized I had the HKS electronic boost controller, blitz turbo timer, and a boost gauge hooked up. Now if you don't know, all 3 measure boost and they're all in KPA also known as Bar. Now there's really no point to having 3 and since I need the TT and the boost controller, the gauge got pulled and will go in my 6th gen once I swap it.

Also, I installed an st205 OEM oil catch because that thing tosses out a decent amount of oil. Not a ton, but you know how they are.
To note, don't ever vent it to atmosphere. It'll blow blue smoke from time to time..

I still need to hook up the boost controller because I have the gforce ecu chip and it doesn't hit the 12 psi fuel cut so I accidentally hit 1 bar (14.5 psi). That needs to get turned down to 8 psi cause the engine is only 350 miles into the break in period... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Nov 12, 2014 - 6:25 PM
post Nov 15, 2014 - 9:35 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
It's gotta gforce chip in it biggrin.gif
Kind of explains why it was boosting to 1 bar without a boost controller hooked up.

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Nov 15, 2014 - 9:37 PM
post Nov 20, 2014 - 7:43 PM
+Quote Post
jesse09

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 19, '09
From Texas
Currently Offline

wat the heck! that is a great deal!

Thats an awesome alltrac biggrin.gif

post Nov 23, 2014 - 9:00 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Bought some parts for the future brake upgrades. Only thing that'll be coming for a bit other than regular maintenance. Need to finish getting parts for the gen2 swap into my car during the spring / summer.
post Nov 24, 2014 - 9:21 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

welcome to the All-Trac club. sounds like you got a pretty good deal.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Dec 1, 2014 - 4:45 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Nov 24, 2014 - 9:21 AM) *
welcome to the All-Trac club. sounds like you got a pretty good deal.

Thanks! and I definitely got a lot more than I first anticipated.

Brackets for the front brake upgrade are on the way.
I'll probably get the LS430 calipers and '05 STI rotors at some point over the winter.

The best thing about the bracket kit is that everything bolts right on and it comes with a hubcentric ring for the rotors.
I still have to look into the rear brake upgrade, but it's most likely going to be ST205 calipers and rotors since they're bolt on.

Definitely doing an ABS delete cause the light is on and I don't feel like taking the time to fix it.
May or may not install a hand brake for the rear lines. There's a single running to the back and it gets split in the ABS module so theoretically I could put it inline before I split them off.
That all depends on how I want to go about doing the car.

Plans right now are to tidy up the engine bay, redo vac lines, wrap the W2A cooler, figure out the wiring mess near the water neck and find the oil pressure wire... and some other odds and ends.
As much as I want to put money into the motor, I can't. It already has some upgrades done to it, which will suffice for the time being, but my main focus is going to be the suspension, brakes, and exterior work.
What I will most likely end up doing in a couple years is swap in a 4th gen. From reading up, it seems like a better platform to start on and to make power with, but we'll see how things go.
post Dec 1, 2014 - 5:32 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Why can't I ever find good deals like this? redface.gif Also it's funny how much the interior mimics the Supra's.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 1, 2014 - 10:29 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Dec 1, 2014 - 5:32 PM) *
Why can't I ever find good deals like this? redface.gif Also it's funny how much the interior mimics the Supra's.

You will eventually. I never do so something like this is rare for me. If you also look at the alltrac Camry prime did, the interior is literally the same.

post Dec 1, 2014 - 10:46 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I saw where the dash is kind of similar, and of course it seems like every Toyota uses the same gauges and buttons. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 4, 2014 - 11:34 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Brackets came in for the brakes came in biggrin.gif

In other news, the car hit 19.8psi / 1.37 bar. Really didn't mean to so I'm definitely setting up the EBC tomorrow and turning it down to 12psi..
But let me tell you, holy FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU did that thing throw me back into the seat.

Need to get a wideband asap to see what the AFR is at. I have a feeling the injectors are being pushed close to their limit.
post Dec 8, 2014 - 6:16 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Bought some 550cc 89-91 RX7 Turbo injectors off eBay. Suppose to have only 32k miles on them so they should be good for a long time.
Going to clean them once they come in the mail.

I was thinking about going with a SAFC to control the fuel, and I still may do that because I don't have any tuning experience, but I'm really leaning toward a DIYPNP w/ MS2 cause it's an ems and not a piggyback.
post Mar 11, 2015 - 7:13 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Well I've come to the terms that this car isn't something to be half-a$$ed. If you all have been following Nial's thread for his restoration, I'm going to be following a very similar path.
You may ask why, and I'm telling you right now, it's because I've always wanted to fully restore a car and I just happen to end up with this one.

By summer's end, I'm hoping to have the car fully disassembled, paint stripped, seam sealed, rust removed, completely undercoated, and hopefully in primer. At the very least, it'll be down to a shell.

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Mar 11, 2015 - 7:14 PM

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 10th, 2024 - 11:01 AM