6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MK3 supras going up in value or overpriced supra?
post May 12, 2016 - 4:18 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

You know what's also $15K and immaculate, a new Yaris.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 12, 2016 - 4:53 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

lol. true. but.... if your car was immaculate, would not you have paid more money for it?

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post May 12, 2016 - 5:32 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Yes, but at the same time I wouldn't want to have paid twice as much to get one 100% perfect with half the miles and one less owner to turn around and use it as a daily driver and have to leave it outside all the time. Tires aside all the things wrong were small nitpicky stuff or things I want to do in order to make it more to my liking.

If the car is mechanically sound and mostly original who cares if there are some small cosmetic flaws here and there, you're looking at a car that's 24-30 years old so it's to be expected unless it was hermetically sealed. Odds are it won't stay perfect long even through no means of her own, dumb kids at school don't care if a few dings just devalued your car by a couple grand and neither do the idiots in any other parking lot for that matter.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 12, 2016 - 7:30 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

You mean!

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post May 12, 2016 - 10:35 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ May 12, 2016 - 7:16 AM) *
QUOTE (Bitter @ May 12, 2016 - 7:08 AM) *
Duh, get her a Celica. laugh.gif

The Supra has some awkward dimensions for a first car, something like a 8G Corolla with a 2ZZ/C60 swap would be a much better first car to learn to drive with. Just toss a PFC in there and set the rev limit to 6,000 for her first year of driving and she'll have a regular Corolla.

you don't understand, she wants a flip up headlights car, an 80's car. A 8g corolla is out of the question. MKI mr2 is more appropriate.

Kids never get what they want. Did you get the car you wanted for your first car? She'll appreciate it more when she's older and not bouncing it off every curb and guard rail. Something new, something safe. I lost a really close friend partially to an unsafe old car. Had she been in a newer safer car she might have survived. I miss her every day since then, she was too young. Get something new and safe please.

--------------------
post May 12, 2016 - 11:26 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ May 12, 2016 - 10:35 PM) *
QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ May 12, 2016 - 7:16 AM) *
QUOTE (Bitter @ May 12, 2016 - 7:08 AM) *
Duh, get her a Celica. laugh.gif

The Supra has some awkward dimensions for a first car, something like a 8G Corolla with a 2ZZ/C60 swap would be a much better first car to learn to drive with. Just toss a PFC in there and set the rev limit to 6,000 for her first year of driving and she'll have a regular Corolla.

you don't understand, she wants a flip up headlights car, an 80's car. A 8g corolla is out of the question. MKI mr2 is more appropriate.

Did you get the car you wanted for your first car?

I did! And it was my Celica!

--------------------
JDM Part King

post May 12, 2016 - 11:37 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Bitter pretty much said what I've been thinking. Unless they've been driving go-karts since they were knee high really anyone's first car should be something relatively low powered, FWD/AWD, and safe. There was a girl the grade above me with a N/A AW11 MR2, was a nice car in blue with the 5-speed and she ended up totaling it after it snap oversteered and she didn't know how to handle it. Luckily she escaped with just some scratches and bruises, but it could've been worse. I'm all for younger people liking old cars and wanting to own them, really I am, but even when your kid does everything perfect there are still idiots out there. Like my grandfather told me when I started driving, "Watch out like everyone is out there to run you over."

Like I mentioned earlier you might consider getting a project Supra for you two to do, then by the time it's done she'll have some good driving experience under her belt and you won't have to worry about her driving an older RWD sports car. If she has her heart set on popup lights perhaps a '94-97 Miata would be to her liking. It's reliable, fun, and about as safe as you can get having popup lights outside of the fourth gen Firebird and fifth gen Corvette.

This post has been edited by Box: May 12, 2016 - 11:38 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 13, 2016 - 6:59 AM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

15k damn, you gotta do what you gotta do. Pop ups for the win. I would love a 90-91
post May 13, 2016 - 7:21 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

All good arguments, dont get me wrong. But a mk3 supra is a turd of 3500 pounds with 200hp that mostly gets 160 to the wheels. Not fast. Big interior. Automatic, even slower, Gold old metal as back in the days. Rwd is only unsafe when you drive stupid.

Lol. But not for 15K.

Lets not direct this thread to something its not. Trying to find what a decent price for an mk3 supra is. Lol

--------------------

post May 13, 2016 - 8:50 AM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ May 13, 2016 - 7:21 AM) *
All good arguments, dont get me wrong. But a mk3 supra is a turd of 3500 pounds with 200hp that mostly gets 160 to the wheels. Not fast. Big interior. Automatic, even slower, Gold old metal as back in the days. Rwd is only unsafe when you drive stupid.

Lol. But not for 15K.

Lets not direct this thread to something its not. Trying to find what a decent price for an mk3 supra is. Lol

I feel a solid price for a clean mkiii should be around 5-8k total
post May 13, 2016 - 9:07 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

yeah i see them around here for 5-8k as well.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post May 13, 2016 - 10:45 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

like the blue one in the pic then? First one i posted? Its nice. But has some miles!!

--------------------

post May 13, 2016 - 5:45 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I was going to say my first car was a MKIII, but that's besides the point. tongue.gif The '90-92 had a driver airbag, so if you're going to spend top dollar I'd spend it on one of them given the application. N/A's and automatics don't bring big money, it's just a fact of the type of car it is so for you to spend what it'd cost for a manual turbo on an automatic N/A is ludicrous. These are the same kind of people wanting top dollar for their 1980 301 Trans Am just because the Smokey and the Bandit car went for $500K. Honestly you shouldn't have to pay much more than 5-6K for a pretty nice N/A automatic. There are still sensible sellers out there, just have to find them. I'll keep an eye out since you're really not all that far from me. As far as miles go my first one was in the 150-200K range and was fine, again these are old cars so 150K over 24-30 years is 5-6.25K a year on average.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 14, 2016 - 11:06 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Thanks.

--------------------

post May 17, 2016 - 11:39 AM
+Quote Post
SupraKid

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 15, '10
From The Best Coast
Currently Offline

MKIII supra, daily driver, and not turning a wrench. You can only pick two. laugh.gif laugh.gif. The only MKIII that is reliable enough to daily drive is either a 7mge that has been rebuilt, or a JZ swapped car. I would never spend over 5k on a MKIII supra unless it had a proper JZ swap done.

This post has been edited by SupraKid: May 17, 2016 - 11:49 AM
post May 17, 2016 - 11:59 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SupraKid @ May 17, 2016 - 11:39 AM) *
MKIII supra, daily driver, and not turning a wrench. You can only pick two. laugh.gif laugh.gif. The only MKIII that is reliable enough to daily drive is either a 7mge that has been rebuilt, or a JZ swapped car. I would never spend over 5k on a MKIII supra unless it had a proper JZ swap done.

there you are! so these cars are not reliable at all? lol

--------------------

post May 17, 2016 - 12:02 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Sooo...about that BHG because toyota torqued the headbolts down to 55ft-lbs or so..... lol

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post May 17, 2016 - 12:24 PM
+Quote Post
SupraKid

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 15, '10
From The Best Coast
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ May 17, 2016 - 9:59 AM) *
QUOTE (SupraKid @ May 17, 2016 - 11:39 AM) *

there you are! so these cars are not reliable at all? lol

They can be however they need to be modified to be unfortunately. The headgasket obviously needs to be redone and even then you have to worry about rod knock due to coolant in the oil. Then you have to worry about the wiring harness getting brittle and losing electrical connections randomly which can leave you stranded.

I would recommend a 90s car for something reliable. There are very very few cars from the 80s that are reliable these days unless they are modified and LOADS of cars from the 90s that will be dead reliable and cheap. Get her a miata, they are perfect for teenage girls(and only teenage girls).

This post has been edited by SupraKid: May 17, 2016 - 12:25 PM
post May 17, 2016 - 12:44 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

If you and your daughter are open to American cars and the nonsense they bring a '98-02 3.8 Firebird would be fairly ideal. The 3.8 Buick is one of the best motors ever made and with 200hp is peppy enough for most, gets 19/30 on 87, and best of all nice examples are cheap because most people that want a F-body want the V8 models. ABS is standard and it has popup lights, modern crash safety etc... And you can get them in pretty colours like this:

Plus a lot of people are doing interesting things with the 3.8 cars these days should more performance be desired, think GNX turbocharged goodness.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 17, 2016 - 12:48 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

she has toyota in her blood. sorry Box.

--------------------

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 11:00 AM