Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bucking at constant speed?
post Apr 27, 2010 - 2:41 AM
+Quote Post
6GenCircleLghts

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 2, '08
Currently Offline

After I've been driving for 10 minutes or so and I'm going down the road in 4th at 35mph with my foot barely on the gas pedal. I don't get massive bucking but enough that it annoys the hell out of me. It also happens when I'm in 3rd going 25mph and 5th going 45 to 50mph. Two main things that were replaced were the timing belt and distributor. Though I got the distributor replaced a couple months after the timing belt and that is when it started happening. Would it be from the distributor or what? The timing belt and distributor was done by a professional mechanic. I did the starter by myself, plugs and wires, but these were even before the timing belt/distributor.
post Apr 27, 2010 - 2:52 AM
+Quote Post
terbear4god4life

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '08
From sweet home, OR
Currently Offline

could be a gas problem,pump,filter??

--------------------
"she can polish my strut bar anytime As long as her blow-off valve's in good order"
post Apr 27, 2010 - 4:31 AM
+Quote Post
AnaXyd

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 15, '08
From Norway
Currently Offline

What exactly is "bucking"? Maybe I got the same problem as you, if I have understood you correctly.
post Apr 27, 2010 - 8:20 AM
+Quote Post
Nartanian

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

The bolt holding the distributor might be too loose. I had the same issues after a head swap. The car keep bucking when you slightly tap the gas pedal. As I was driving one day, the distributor just popped out. So make sure the bolt keeping the distributor attached it tight.

--------------------
"God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance"
post Apr 27, 2010 - 10:03 AM
+Quote Post
6GenCircleLghts

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 2, '08
Currently Offline

AnaXyd - I'll try to take a video for ya. And then post it.

Nartanian - I really hope it is just the distributor, that would fantastic!
post Apr 27, 2010 - 10:15 AM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
From pineapple under the sea
Currently Offline

If I am understanding "bucking" properly, are you referring to the car misfiring under acceleration? Or bucking because you need to downshift?

Check your plugs, and if you replaced your wires with non-OEM I would recommend going back to OEM.

--------------------
1991 MR2 - T-tops - Crimson Red - Gen3 3SGTE - Lots of money

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
**** Photobucket
post Apr 27, 2010 - 10:59 AM
+Quote Post
DGAF

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 27, '09
From New York USA
Currently Offline

I could be a misfire. But then again the way you describe how you do 35 in 4th gear by barely touching the gas pedal I think that it's just like 95CelicaST mentioned. You may just need to downshift and problem solved.
but you mentioned it happened after the timing belt replacement. Maybe the mechanic who changed the belt adjusted the timing on the distributor and that could have caused it for you to notice the difference right after the timing service. I would just double check it with a timing light just to make sure it's on point. but then again it could also be your driving... Good luck and hope you find a solution to this issue smile.gif
post Apr 27, 2010 - 2:30 PM
+Quote Post
KAOS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '06
From Calgary, Canada
Currently Offline

Have you checked your codes?
The CEL doesn't always come on. And when my car started 'bucking' (usually on the highway/long distances) I found it was the throttle position sensor... and oddly enough I too had just replaced my timing belt/head gasket...

--------------------
post Apr 27, 2010 - 6:25 PM
+Quote Post
Nartanian

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '09
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Apr 27, 2010 - 10:15 AM) *
If I am understanding "bucking" properly, are you referring to the car misfiring under acceleration? Or bucking because you need to downshift?

Check your plugs, and if you replaced your wires with non-OEM I would recommend going back to OEM.

It can't be because he needs to down shift. For one, I'm sure he hasn't changed his driving style since he took it to the shop, and 2, if you are in a to high gear slightly tapping the gas pedal doesn't generate as much "bucking" as it would going WOT throttle.

--------------------
"God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance"

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 8:04 AM