> Custom 5SFE Intake Manifold Project
post Oct 5, 2014 - 3:14 PM
+Quote Post
doory100

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '14
From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Currently Offline

Got this off a 97 3sfe rav4. I'm going to customize a intake manifold body for it at my work(custom sheet metal shop). this is the starting process should look close to a beams intake when in done. Ill be using 0.100" 5052 aluminum for the body with a machined 0.250" T6 aluminum flange. I will most likely make 2 when i take the intake form my 95 GT off. So I'll have one for sale then. Any thoughts??

This post has been edited by doory100: Oct 6, 2014 - 7:40 PM

--------------------
post Oct 6, 2014 - 2:12 PM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

nice. Should use a 1mzfe dual throttle body for this.

--------------------
post Oct 6, 2014 - 3:45 PM
+Quote Post
doory100

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '14
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ Oct 6, 2014 - 2:12 PM) *

what car would that be off ?? that would be sick!! Would it work??

This post has been edited by doory100: Oct 6, 2014 - 7:40 PM

--------------------
post Oct 8, 2014 - 7:29 PM
+Quote Post
doory100

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '14
Currently Offline

QUOTE (doory100 @ Oct 6, 2014 - 4:45 PM) *
QUOTE (ILoveMySilly97 @ Oct 6, 2014 - 2:12 PM) *

what car would that be off ?? that would be sick!! Would it work??

After reading this article on toyotanation.com I will be incorperating the 1MZ-FE throttle body and flange into my project since its plug and play and are easily accesable at the kenny-u-pull lot in Ottawa. $15 im just going to hack off the flange and TB with a saw in one shot !! (if I can)
here is the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3rd-...-1mz-fe-tb.html

--------------------
post Oct 8, 2014 - 8:01 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

The one youll have for sale, Im interested. I'd like the option of keeping it flangeless wiyh a spot to weld on a flange, so I can weld a TB of my choosing. smile.gif

--------------------
1993 Celica GT Coupe - sold
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Oct 9, 2014 - 9:12 AM
+Quote Post
doory100

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '14
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Syaoran @ Oct 8, 2014 - 8:01 PM) *
The one youll have for sale, Im interested. I'd like the option of keeping it flangeless wiyh a spot to weld on a flange, so I can weld a TB of my choosing. smile.gif

what TB were you thinking of I might be interested? so far the 1zm-fe I know will work but I heard the mustang TB is a option.

--------------------
post Oct 9, 2014 - 10:53 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

QUOTE (doory100 @ Oct 9, 2014 - 10:12 AM) *
QUOTE (Syaoran @ Oct 8, 2014 - 8:01 PM) *

what TB were you thinking of I might be interested? so far the 1zm-fe I know will work but I heard the mustang TB is a option.

In my case I have a standalone ECU so anything that fits will work. The one I can find cheapest is the one I'd buy, in my case. Probably a VW VR6 TB or something like that, since I have a friend with a junkyard's worth of spare VW parts.

--------------------
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Oct 15, 2014 - 8:28 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Hell if your gonna go 1mz tb
maybe pick one up from a later model that had dual throttle bodys

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Oct 15, 2014 - 1:04 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

I don't see the use of putting a dual TB on a 4cylinder engine lol & especially a 5s. I understand the purpose of it in the 1mz manifold, but that's a v6.

--------------------
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Oct 15, 2014 - 5:28 PM
+Quote Post
doory100

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '14
Currently Offline

I found both and the dual TB looks like its going to be a mess to hook up plus wouldn't I need two throttle cables? One on the front and on on the back of the manifold? I haven't removed them yet so I'm not sure how they will work with my setup.

This post has been edited by doory100: Oct 15, 2014 - 5:36 PM

--------------------
post Oct 15, 2014 - 6:35 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Its one cable actuator which connects internally to both throttle bodies. You will have to wire a WOT switch because the TPS is 3 wire vs 4 wire of the 5s.
post Oct 15, 2014 - 11:31 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Pending your plans the dual tb setup might be more than you really need.
if your going to boost it tho might be worth while

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Oct 16, 2014 - 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
doory100

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '14
Currently Offline

It looks like i wont have room since im increasing the L W and H of the intake itself.

--------------------
post Oct 16, 2014 - 9:50 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

You know just hacking a plenum on some runners isn't going to net awesome gains. You need to calculate the plenum volume for the targeted RPM and have runners of a tuned length to match, tuned to 2nd order harmonics if possible for the target RPM. That's why you see 30whp gains from an intake manifold on a 2ZZ or Honda's. Also because those heads have the potential to use the air being supplied, but just better tuned intake will help but probably not as dramatically as you'd hope. The stock 5S manifold is a 3rd order manifold I believe and tuned for low to mid engine speeds to provide torque, the head is also suited to this design. Don't try to fight the head, work with it. You can see a nice increase in torque with the right volume and runner length.

http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com/engine_designer.html Software like that can help make an initial design.
http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/engin...take-manifolds/ this outlines some of the design principles and their effects.

This post has been edited by Bitter: Oct 16, 2014 - 9:54 PM

--------------------
post Oct 17, 2014 - 9:26 PM
+Quote Post
doory100

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '14
Currently Offline

Maybe your right but I'm gonna do it anyway. I'm just going to increase the size and angles of the intake. I got the idea from the racer x web site. The replenum manifold has what looks like the stock runners.
http://www.racerxfabrication.com/products/...ica/intake.html

This post has been edited by doory100: Oct 17, 2014 - 9:33 PM

--------------------
post Oct 17, 2014 - 9:31 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Well that's why you're experimenting, be interesting to see how it turns out. Worse case you loose power and it's back to the drawing board, you can't really break anything playing around with this. Obviously tuning after installation would be ideal to realize any gains to their fullest.

Just changing the plenum volume will have an impact, the 5S plenum is very small (and for good reason as outlined in the article).

--------------------
post Oct 17, 2014 - 9:35 PM
+Quote Post
doory100

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '14
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Oct 17, 2014 - 10:31 PM) *
Well that's why you're experimenting, be interesting to see how it turns out. Worse case you loose power and it's back to the drawing board, you can't really break anything playing around with this. Obviously tuning after installation would be ideal to realize any gains to their fullest.

Just changing the plenum volume will have an impact, the 5S plenum is very small (and for good reason as outlined in the article).

What article is that?

--------------------
post Oct 18, 2014 - 9:06 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

the second link in my post with two links. the plenum volume is tiny to keep air velocity high at low RPM for best torque due to the head's low flow. a bigger plenum volume at low rpm with a low flowing head will cause a loss in power since the air will be stagnant and have to be literally sucked into the engine (meaning you end up with less air in the cylinder) instead of the ideal situation where air is a constantly moving column and the timing of the movement of the column of air hitting the valve has the valve opening before it rebounds off and looses it's energy and becomes a stationary mass of air. If you blow down a long pipe you can feel more air being pulled into pipe after your initial 'pulse' is sent down it, the whole column of air is now moving, the intake and runners do a similar think and that's the driving force behind exhaust scavenging. Those intakes on that racerx page are for forced induction which has less of an issue with intake tuning since the air being forced into the engine, it doesn't matter if you have the wrong plenum volume or runner length once the turbo is making boost, it's more just that all the cylinders are seeing an equal amount of air.

I'm willing to bet just putting a bigger plenum on the stock manifold runners will get you a loss in low RPM torque and a very very slight gain at higher RPM, but not enough to offset the loss. I'd love to see a back to back series of dyno's to compare and confirm my theory.

--------------------
post Oct 18, 2014 - 6:49 PM
+Quote Post
doory100

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '14
Currently Offline

mrturrari did a good intake for his MR2 on mr2oc.com And I got way more eqipment at my disposal, like a 35 ton 20 turrent NC Stripit punch press (witch I run) fully auomated CAD SMP software. 8' Amada 50 ton NC break press (witch i can also run), A kick ass tig welder. And access to powder coating.
I was thinking of doing the mandrel bent runners with velocity stacks but I'm cheap and can't find any where that does mandrel pipe bending but I haven't looked all that hard.. Cars in the garage till spring so I'll have plenty of time to do the intake. Just picked up the 1z V6 TB today for $20 biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=357056

This post has been edited by doory100: Oct 18, 2014 - 7:06 PM

--------------------
post Oct 18, 2014 - 8:55 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Is the engine all stock?

--------------------

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 8:55 AM