6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ct26 turbine wheels, JDM ceramic versus USDM steel, differences? Are they noticeable or negligible?
post May 3, 2011 - 12:14 AM
+Quote Post
Darkchylde

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 11, '07
From carmel, new york
Currently Offline

Soooooooo, I have had to send my 26 out to be rebuilt and in the process have found that the turbine wheels need to be changed. The shop that has the turbo says that they can't get the JDM ceramic wheels so they will have to use steel ones.

1) how will this affect my spool time/ Lag? (new to forced induction, understand the basics but am still a little fuzzy on the intricacies)

2) anyone know where to get the ceramic wheels?

3) any one have a JDM importers # or a 26 or 20b they can spare?

Thanks for your input and assistance all.
post May 3, 2011 - 12:22 AM
+Quote Post
brenton1919

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 28, '11
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Darkchylde @ May 3, 2011 - 12:14 AM) *
Soooooooo, I have had to send my 26 out to be rebuilt and in the process have found that the turbine wheels need to be changed. The shop that has the turbo says that they can't get the JDM ceramic wheels so they will have to use steel ones.

1) how will this affect my spool time/ Lag? (new to forced induction, understand the basics but am still a little fuzzy on the intricacies)

u should of sent to atsracing they make ct 27 turbos

This post has been edited by brenton1919: May 3, 2011 - 12:23 AM
post May 3, 2011 - 1:11 AM
+Quote Post
Darkchylde

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 11, '07
From carmel, new york
Currently Offline

If I recall correctly the ct27 is a 26 housing with 20b internals correct? ats racing eh? I'll have to give them a ring. On that note has anyone had any luck with the aforementioned turbo either. The ct 27 that is?

This post has been edited by Darkchylde: May 3, 2011 - 1:12 AM
post May 3, 2011 - 1:21 AM
+Quote Post
brenton1919

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 28, '11
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Darkchylde @ May 3, 2011 - 2:11 AM) *
If I recall correctly the ct27 is a 26 housing with 20b internals correct? ats racing eh? I'll have to give them a ring. On that note has anyone had any luck with the aforementioned turbo either. The ct 27 that is?
yeah i was just up there the other day thats one badass turbo because they sure do sell them alot im thinking about sellin my cb20 to get one

This post has been edited by brenton1919: May 3, 2011 - 1:56 PM
post May 3, 2011 - 1:55 AM
+Quote Post
Darkchylde

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 11, '07
From carmel, new york
Currently Offline

does any one have the specs for the ct 27?
post May 3, 2011 - 5:44 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

ct26 is crap nomatter what they do with it.

for starters the turbine exducer is 52mm in a ct26, its only 50mm in a ct20b (smaller is better here for spoolup)

the standard ct20b compressor inducer is 48mm, the largest one they can fit in the ct26 is a 46mm t04e wheel (up from the standard 42mm)

compared to a ct20b the best you can achieve with a ct26 is same max hp at a higher boost level, with an extra 1000rpm of low boost threshhold and laggy throttle response

This post has been edited by delusionz: May 4, 2011 - 5:38 PM

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post May 3, 2011 - 7:43 AM
+Quote Post
Darkchylde

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 11, '07
From carmel, new york
Currently Offline

Okay from what I can tell Delusionz, you ARE definitely a fan of the ct 20b. My question for you is do you speak from personal experience or just a statistical stand point? If anyone out there has a ct 27 please chime in I would like to have a first hand account of spool time, max output an general upkeep? Other threads that I have come across have had many a person complaining about shattering wheels constantly.( if I am correct you are one of the people who said they dislike the constant replacement of the ct's Delusionz. If I am wrong please correct, no sarcasm just recalling.)

Calling Ats in a little while to get specs and make a decision, so lemme know!

This post has been edited by Darkchylde: May 3, 2011 - 10:20 AM
post May 3, 2011 - 7:59 AM
+Quote Post
Culpable04

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '06
From New Jersey
Currently Offline

the cost of a CT27 is not worthy. your best bet is to find a CT20b, try to see if Jim has any in stock, you can pick them up personally and for a second gen is the best bolt on upgrade. this turbo will max out your fuel system, so the turbo has enough air flow to make the most out of your stock setup.

--------------------

post May 3, 2011 - 8:54 AM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Darkchylde @ May 3, 2011 - 8:43 AM) *
Okay from what I can tell Delusionz, you ARE definitely a fan of the ct 20b. My question for you is do you sperm from personal experience or just a statistical stand point? If anyone out there has a ct 27 please chime in I would like to have a first hand account of spool time, max output an general upkeep? Other threads that I have come across have had many a person complaining about shattering wheels constantly.( if I am correct you are one of the people who said they dislike the constant replacement of the ct's Delusionz. If I am wrong please correct, no sarcasm just recalling.)

Calling Ats in a little while to get specs and make a decision, so lemme know!

A ct27 or a ct20b can get you 300hp or more. A ct26 rebuild, trim upgrade, etc... will not make more than 240-250hp
Don't waste your money on a ct26 rebuild!!!! Either buy a ct20b or upgrade it to a ct27.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post May 3, 2011 - 10:54 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
Currently Offline

Yeah I'm the one that's blown a ct20b and a ct26/t04e hybrid and have gone with a garrett gt28rs

if i could got another ct20b cheap i would, but they are rare since its not just st205 guys that want them, its also st185 and sw20 guys kindasad.gif

--------------------
Mike W
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post May 3, 2011 - 1:52 PM
+Quote Post
brenton1919

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 28, '11
Currently Offline

QUOTE (delusionz @ May 3, 2011 - 6:44 AM) *
ct26 is crap nomatter what they do with it.

for starters the turbine exducer is 52mm in a ct26, its only 50mm in a ct20b (smaller is better here for spoolup)

the standard ct20b compressor inducer is 54mm, the largest one they can fit in the ct26 is a 53mm t04e wheel (up from the standard 46mm)

compared to a ct20b the best you can achieve with a ct26 is same max hp at a higher boost level, with an extra 1000rpm of low boost threshhold and laggy throttle response
dude they have kits with there ct27 turbo runnin 500 + hp
post May 3, 2011 - 5:02 PM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
Currently Offline

I don't know, Someone will try and correct me here but I was running 17psi on the ct26/t04e and it was like the ct20b at 14psi in the top end, it was like not having a turbo at all in the low end.

It barely felt like I had 230hp at the engine

--------------------
Mike W
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post May 3, 2011 - 5:30 PM
+Quote Post
brenton1919

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 28, '11
Currently Offline

QUOTE (delusionz @ May 3, 2011 - 5:02 PM) *
I don't know, Someone will try and correct me here but I was running 17psi on the ct26/t04e and it was like the ct20b at 14psi in the top end, it was like not having a turbo at all in the low end.

It barely felt like I had 230hp at the engine
THE CT27 isn't the ct26 u keep saying ct26 the one thing the ct27 has is the ct26 hosing that its when your celica can beat one of atsracing mr2 u can talk all the crap in the world about a ct27 but i dont think that will ever happen i dont even think they have a mr2 up there runnin anything under 450 rwhp go check out these links on youtube this is matt's car from atsracing http://youtu.be/0Imf2NiB1xI.........and thats why u blow up turbos not because there crap because the ct26 is a good turbo but because u ride around on 17psi u are killing that turbo it is a stock turbo not after market it wasn't made to be beat up like that and if your car was stock with no upgrades you are making the turbo do all of the work

This post has been edited by brenton1919: May 3, 2011 - 5:37 PM
post May 3, 2011 - 9:01 PM
+Quote Post
korban

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '09
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Darkchylde @ May 3, 2011 - 12:14 AM) *

Stay away from the ceramic wheel, IMHO that's one of the worst things about the CT26. When they get hot they can shatter. If you're running low octane you have to retard timing at higher boost levels to prevent det and the wheel gets hotter while pushing harder. Go with the steel wheel rebuild if it's heaps cheaper than buying a new turbo, be aware that a 2nd hand turbo could be due for a rebuild too (would be more worth it with a '20b'. ST215 Caldina GTT turbo (C15?) will bolt up to a gen3 engine and isn't a bad option either.
post May 3, 2011 - 10:10 PM
+Quote Post
Darkchylde

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 11, '07
From carmel, new york
Currently Offline

Some background, I have a 2nd gen 3sgte, e153 trans and devils own Meth injection and a walbro 255 lb/hr fuel pump. I run 93 or higher at all times, I can get 100 and 116 for future reference I was thinking of transporting some up to the Colt State park meet. @ 10 a gallon. The only thing I don't have for a moderately larger turbo is the injectors. Also with this new turbo I will be puchasing both a Uego w/ or without fuel control and or a Safc.
post May 3, 2011 - 10:16 PM
+Quote Post
Darkchylde

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 11, '07
From carmel, new york
Currently Offline

QUOTE (korban @ May 3, 2011 - 10:01 PM) *
Stay away from the ceramic wheel, IMHO that's one of the worst things about the CT26. When they get hot they can shatter. If you're running low octane you have to retard timing at higher boost levels to prevent det and the wheel gets hotter while pushing harder. Go with the steel wheel rebuild if it's heaps cheaper than buying a new turbo, be aware that a 2nd hand turbo could be due for a rebuild too (would be more worth it with a '20b'. ST215 Caldina GTT turbo (C15?) will bolt up to a gen3 engine and isn't a bad option either.

I was under the impression that the ceramics allowed for faster spooling and reduced load. Am I incorrect in this assumption.

This post has been edited by Darkchylde: May 3, 2011 - 10:17 PM
post May 3, 2011 - 10:25 PM
+Quote Post
korban

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '09
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

You seem pretty well setup there, what ECU are you using?

I know of no advantage from the ceramic wheel, so i'm not sure why you're so keen on it?

I'm upgrading my turbo and will be using a Walbro and factory injectors, should get me to 300hp, then i'll look at upgrading the injectors later.
post May 3, 2011 - 11:17 PM
+Quote Post
Darkchylde

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 11, '07
From carmel, new york
Currently Offline

Not, keen on the ceramic per se, just trying to get the most reasonable and efficient setup for my dollar without sacrificing the smooth operation I have become accustomed to.

I have a stock gen2 ecu.
post May 3, 2011 - 11:50 PM
+Quote Post
easternpiro1

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 1, '05
From Charlotte NC
Currently Offline

glad i stumbled onto this thread. I so happen to have a spare ct20b (4th gen) but hearing you guys talk about shattering turbines makes me not want to sell it.

from all the info ive been told, ceramic= lighter and that = quicker spool time. IIRC mine spooled at about 2300rpm it was an immediate kick in the crotch.

and i think i heard jim or death say that the steel wheel is MUCH more suited for higher boost as it wont shatter, but you would sacrifice spool time. IMHO i dont think the spool time difference is alot. maybe 300-400rpms? im assuming on this point.

So to clarify, the ceramic wheels will shatter, but under what load are people shattering them? i want to know because i plan on upping my boost to about 20psi when i want to have some fun, and keeping it stock 15psi when im cruising.
I also plan on installing the AEM FIC to go with the devils own kit i bought.

My power goal is about 330 and im satisfied. ive heard talk of a ct20b beign able to do better than this, but i dont want to push it with my stock 550 injectors

im REALLY sorry to thread jack but im seeing alot of knowledge on the ct20b in this thread and thats exactly what i need to absorb wink.gif

good luck with your build darkchylde!

This post has been edited by easternpiro1: May 3, 2011 - 11:53 PM

--------------------

QUOTE (Galcobar @ Oct 15, 2008 - 2:44 AM) *
You want power but have no money. That's a problem.

Cheap. Reliable. Fast. Pick two.
post May 4, 2011 - 12:14 AM
+Quote Post
Darkchylde

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 11, '07
From carmel, new york
Currently Offline

Sure you don't want to part with that 20b brother? If it's in good condition I promise a fair price and honestly just want my car running again. This is my daily.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 10th, 2024 - 7:18 AM