> Rhode Island Project Celica
post May 17, 2011 - 8:58 PM
+Quote Post
Ted95

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '09
From Westport, MA
Currently Offline

get the s54 tranny (GT tranny) because it will be easier and cheaper to find and it wont be hard to get all the things needed for it, mounts, axels. you can always upgrade to a e153 tranny in the future like i plan to do with my swap.

as for an exhaust, just got to a exhaust shop and have them bend you up a custom exhaust, be alot easier and probably cheaper then trying to find pre-made exhaust.

and deffinately do alot of hw on this stuff, refresh all your gaskets and what not, get the motor ready while its out of the car because its going to add up quick and u dont want to rip your car apart and have it sitting for months like people tend to do. i bought my motor a little over a year ago and im just putting it in now. just go one step at a time, dont rush it.

like i said, my swap has taken over a year now and im glad i took my time with it to make sure i have everything right the first time, and so far, everythings going smooth.

good luck with the research and the swap bro!

--------------------
st205 powered ss3 coupe
post May 17, 2011 - 10:56 PM
+Quote Post
LimitedGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '11
From Southern Alabama
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Ted95 @ May 17, 2011 - 9:58 PM) *
get the s54 tranny (GT tranny) because it will be easier and cheaper to find and it wont be hard to get all the things needed for it, mounts, axels. you can always upgrade to a e153 tranny in the future like i plan to do with my swap.

as for an exhaust, just got to a exhaust shop and have them bend you up a custom exhaust, be alot easier and probably cheaper then trying to find pre-made exhaust.

and deffinately do alot of hw on this stuff, refresh all your gaskets and what not, get the motor ready while its out of the car because its going to add up quick and u dont want to rip your car apart and have it sitting for months like people tend to do. i bought my motor a little over a year ago and im just putting it in now. just go one step at a time, dont rush it.

like i said, my swap has taken over a year now and im glad i took my time with it to make sure i have everything right the first time, and so far, everythings going smooth.

good luck with the research and the swap bro!

thanks for the advice man, but no one has been able to shed any like on the 3sge and the awd to fwd tranny conversion so i think ill jus go with the gt
and am not trying to rush but i dont plan on spending a year to do this i saved up enough ahead of time to be able to do it all at once.
as far as the engine goes its still in the GT4 clip in my backyard ive got all the parts i can think of jus need to pick up the tranny and axles and mounts which am sure i can pick up at a pepboy or autozone or some part shop. and then theres the clutch, lol, i thinl ill go for the act 6 puck since it seems to work for everyone lol
and then i need some frankenstine piece lol that has the outers for the 3sgte and inners for the s54 if am not mistaken. ive done my HW man trust me
thats why am so impatient i got the money the parts and the time since i got a spare car "08 Yaris" lol i just need someone to do the swap and once i find sumone
if im missing anythin ill get it

and my clip looks like this so ppl get an idea of what am talking about

post May 18, 2011 - 11:39 AM
+Quote Post
LimitedGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '11
From Southern Alabama
Currently Offline

Anyone in the new england area that has done a 3sgte swap into a celica that wants to make $1,200 just let me know because sad to say thats all am missin for my swap either thator if someone know a garage that i can rent so i can do it myself id appreciate that to como celica family help bring another 3sgte to life smile.gif
post May 18, 2011 - 1:32 PM
+Quote Post
Culpable04

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '06
From New Jersey
Currently Offline

1- you need to get your glasses on, and get some reading
2- once you know what's needed get your hands dirty and do this yourself
3- the AWD to FWD conversion is not too hard, I tried it, and the only reason why I failed was becausei rushed it and broke the housing as I didn't follow proper bolting process ( over-torqued onebolt before the case was seated properly )
4- there are great builders / mechanic / entusiast out there, that without a dought will do a great job, but once the car is running the fun begings, you have to work the litte issues out ( every setup has them ) and unless you did your own work, it'll be a very frustrated / expensive or both journey.

bottom line is
GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY and do it yourself

for the AWD to FWD conversion, you need one cover for where the transfer case bolts on on the AWD, a MR2 diff ( lsd prefered ) and misc bolts, that's pretty much it, the rest of the parts that list, are all in your AWD transmission and since you are keeping it FWD, no need to mess with the shift linkage / arms etc. it's time comsuming and it require patience ( as I learned )

--------------------

post May 18, 2011 - 3:58 PM
+Quote Post
LimitedGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '11
From Southern Alabama
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Culpable04 @ May 18, 2011 - 1:32 PM) *
1- you need to get your glasses on, and get some reading
2- once you know what's needed get your hands dirty and do this yourself
3- the AWD to FWD conversion is not too hard, I tried it, and the only reason why I failed was becausei rushed it and broke the housing as I didn't follow proper bolting process ( over-torqued onebolt before the case was seated properly )
4- there are great builders / mechanic / entusiast out there, that without a dought will do a great job, but once the car is running the fun begings, you have to work the litte issues out ( every setup has them ) and unless you did your own work, it'll be a very frustrated / expensive or both journey.

bottom line is
GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY and do it yourself

for the AWD to FWD conversion, you need one cover for where the transfer case bolts on on the AWD, a MR2 diff ( lsd prefered ) and misc bolts, that's pretty much it, the rest of the parts that list, are all in your AWD transmission and since you are keeping it FWD, no need to mess with the shift linkage / arms etc. it's time comsuming and it require patience ( as I learned )

Thanks man i love the support, so if i go with converting the awd to fwd will i use the gt4 transaxles? Or will i need hybrids like for the e153? Is that writeup i found a good guide?

Anyways i feel confident of doing anythin and everythin to my car i know i can do it and work through it what am facing is basically spending alot of money to get all the right tools for the job or paying just about the same to have someone do it :-\ so if at the end of the day ill be in the same place i might as well get someone that knows more and has all the right tools but dont get me wrong if someone offersme some garage space with all the tools for a low price ill do it myself :-D which is what i really want and even if i paid sumone to do it i wanna be involved in the process for the same reason u specified ill know more about my car
post May 19, 2011 - 12:06 AM
+Quote Post
Ted95

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '09
From Westport, MA
Currently Offline

oh well a clip changes alot of things lol. i didnt realize you bought s clip, my bad lol

--------------------
st205 powered ss3 coupe
post May 19, 2011 - 11:32 PM
+Quote Post
LimitedGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '11
From Southern Alabama
Currently Offline

So i like the look of my rims but theyre not practical but i fell in love with them when i saw them kindasad.gif my first choice was the traditional GTS 5 spoke 16" rims from my old 02 celica frown.gif (i let that one go with pain in my heart same as my 93 celica im a celi fanatic lmao jajajajaja) anyways. im lovin the staggered look they are 7.5 front 9.5 back if am not mistaken and 18"
so i would like to know if anyone has seen or knows where i can get 17" staggered rims thats fit our lug pattern?

or even 16" although i think they would look weird in 16"

post May 21, 2011 - 5:15 PM
+Quote Post
LimitedGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '11
From Southern Alabama
Currently Offline

so while am waiting for the right person to perform my 3sgte swap i decided to do my breaks, u guys tell me what you think

GT Four Hatch for sale

and THIS IS NOT for sale just wanted to show my turbo parts

post May 21, 2011 - 5:42 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

that looks awesome man! i sent you a pm as well wink.gif
post May 21, 2011 - 5:52 PM
+Quote Post
LimitedGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '11
From Southern Alabama
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ May 21, 2011 - 5:42 PM) *
that looks awesome man! i sent you a pm as well wink.gif

pm answered
post May 21, 2011 - 9:52 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

after you swap how are going to get the car inspected ?

--------------------
post May 21, 2011 - 11:34 PM
+Quote Post
LimitedGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '11
From Southern Alabama
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Batman722 @ May 21, 2011 - 10:52 PM) *
after you swap how are going to get the car inspected ?

Lol the magic question everyone asks, idk how do others with the swap pass the inspection?

Fortunatly with a fresh new inspection till april of 2013 i wont have to worry till then biggrin.gif lol
post May 21, 2011 - 11:39 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

most people swap with a 94-95. The 96+ are obd2 and that's a big problem for inspections.

did you convert the tranny yet ?

--------------------
post May 21, 2011 - 11:44 PM
+Quote Post
LimitedGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '11
From Southern Alabama
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Batman722 @ May 21, 2011 - 11:39 PM) *
most people swap with a 94-95. The 96+ are obd2 and that's a big problem for inspections.

did you convert the tranny yet ?

Aaaaa cool nice to know in that case i still got 2 year maybe ill swap back and swap again who knows thanks for the heads up tho

No i think ill just use the gt tranny and keep the awd in case i wanna use it in the future if making the car awd becomes more popular and easy or i just go crazy and feel like spendin more money and time lol, so for the gt tranny whats the custom piece i need? And where/how can i get it

This post has been edited by LimitedGT4: May 21, 2011 - 11:45 PM
post May 22, 2011 - 9:51 AM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Batman722 @ May 17, 2011 - 11:38 AM) *
ok, some info.
I would suggest you get a GT (s54) tranny and you need all the GT mounts. The mounts in your clip are for a different series tranny, just put them aside for now. You'll also need the GT axles.

You need a clutch, each tranny uses a different set up.

QUOTE (LimitedGT4 @ May 22, 2011 - 12:44 AM) *
so for the gt tranny whats the custom piece i need? And where/how can i get it

--------------------
post May 22, 2011 - 10:24 AM
+Quote Post
Ted95

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '09
From Westport, MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Batman722 @ May 22, 2011 - 10:51 AM) *
ok, some info.
I would suggest you get a GT (s54) tranny and you need all the GT mounts. The mounts in your clip are for a different series tranny, just put them aside for now. You'll also need the GT axles.

he has an ST dustin, doesnt he have to do a lil modding to the bay for the GT mounts to fit and use GT cables?

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28825

This post has been edited by Ted95: May 22, 2011 - 10:24 AM

--------------------
st205 powered ss3 coupe
post May 22, 2011 - 12:25 PM
+Quote Post
LimitedGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '11
From Southern Alabama
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Batman722 @ May 22, 2011 - 9:51 AM) *
ok, some info.

thanks, my question was more related to this

"5sfe disk (or a custom made 3sgte disk, with the splines for the 5sfe tranny)"

ive read some places say you need a custom part related to the transmition fabricated
and others dont say that you need anything fabricated is this really necessary?
or is it just a good clutch and all parts can be found within the 2 trannys

i know about the mounts, cables, axles, clutch, and tranny

E-153 mr2 turbo tranny = GT shifter cables
3sgte disk
3sgte pressure plate
3sgte flywheel
Alltrac outer half shafts, m2 inner shafts.

GT tranny or 3SGE = GT shifter cables
5sfe/3sge disk (or a custom made 3sgte disk, with the splines for the 5sfe tranny) ??????? IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY???????
5sfe/3sge throwout bearing
5sfe/3sge alignment tool
3sgte pressure plate
3sgte flywheel
5sfe Axels

1mzfe Solara Tranny = ST205 Cables (GT4)
V6 Camry tranny
1mzfe disk
1mzfe throwout bearing
1mzfe alignment tool
3sgte pressure plate
3sgte flywheel
Not sure about the axels needed to run this tranny ?????? ANYONE ANY IDEA ???????[color="#FF0000"][/color]

This post has been edited by LimitedGT4: May 22, 2011 - 2:48 PM
post May 22, 2011 - 1:57 PM
+Quote Post
LimitedGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '11
From Southern Alabama
Currently Offline

This post has been edited by LimitedGT4: May 22, 2011 - 2:18 PM
post May 22, 2011 - 9:28 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

thanks, my question was more related to this

"5sfe disk (or a custom made 3sgte disk, with the splines for the 5sfe tranny)"

ive read some places say you need a custom part related to the transmition fabricated
and others dont say that you need anything fabricated is this really necessary?
yes and no, an axle spacer because the pass side axle is too short for some people
or is it just a good clutch and all parts can be found within the 2 trannys
you need to buy a new clutch. If you use the GT tranny (s54) then you need or a custom made 3sgte disk, with the splines for the 5sfe tranny
i know about the mounts, cables, axles, clutch, and tranny

E-153 mr2 turbo tranny = st205 cables and fyi V6 Camry/Solara tranny = e153 also.
3sgte disk
3sgte tob
3sgte alignment tool
3sgte pressure plate
3sgte flywheel
just buy an MR2 turbo clutch
Alltrac outer half shafts, m2 inner shafts.

GT tranny = GT shifter cables
a custom made 3sgte disk, with the splines for the 5sfe tranny ??????? IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY???????
?????????? why in the world would you think it wouldn't be nessessary ??????
5sfe throwout bearing
5sfe alignment tool
3sgte pressure plate
3sgte flywheel
5sfe Axels

There is a lot that goes along with swapping, lots of parts to buy, lots of research to do.

--------------------
post May 22, 2011 - 9:40 PM
+Quote Post
LimitedGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '11
From Southern Alabama
Currently Offline

is there anyone that makes the "custom made 3sgte disk, with the splines for the 5sfe tranny" ? some one that already knows and
does them alot, just like Dr tweak does the wiring

the research is done all am doing is asking for clarification as no one is perfect and ive read contradiction in different swap write-ups
contradictions that confuse as to all the parts necesary as some say u only need this part and other say you need this and this other
part so excuse me guys if i ask to many questions but because ive done too much research am starting to get confused as many
different opinions are clouding my head

PLEASE DONT SAY DO RESEARCH AGAIN GUYS OR ILL LOSE IT ALL I WANT IS SPECIFICS TO NOT WASTE TIME

THANKS BATMAN FOR ALL YOUR HELP
would you recomend any tranny over the other in term of durability, and what would make the difference between good and GREAT

This post has been edited by LimitedGT4: May 22, 2011 - 10:18 PM

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 16th, 2024 - 5:51 PM