> Came Close to trading in my ST, with 2006 350Z
post Jan 30, 2017 - 10:10 AM
+Quote Post
msk59

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '14
From Tulsa, OK
Currently Offline

This past Saturday I saw a 2006 Convertible at a local dealer and went to check it out. they offered $2000 for my car in trade in but would not reduce the price on the Z. Upon further check in I found that2006 Zs have a oil consumption issue on earlier manufactured models. Also have CSC (Concentric Slave Cylinder) failure issues due to plastic parts. So good thing that I did not buy that car. I offered a decent price but they would not come down due to low miles on the car. I had a strange feeling of betrayal.
post Jan 30, 2017 - 11:52 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I thought about buying a 350Z, but honestly against the earlier cars I think I rather have a 300ZX. To me the 300ZX looks a lot better and honestly I don't think I'd miss the 50 hp in exchange for oil consumption and clutch issues. Now a 370Z on the other hand is another story.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 30, 2017 - 12:06 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

350Z's are actually pretty good cars with a couple of exceptions. 2003 and early 2004 models had alignment issues, which many people say a simple alignment solved. A few still insist that they have problems even after an alignment though. 2004.5 and 2005 models were largely problem free. All 2003-2005 6 speeds suffered from synchro issues in the trans but if the syncros have been replaced, there shouldn't be any more issues. 2006 6 speeds got the Rev-up engines, many of which are known for oil consumption. Those with the auto trans kept the VQ35DE engine and didn't consume oil. (I vaguely remember something about an anniversary edition that got the Rev-up engine anyway, so stay away from those.) 07-09 switched to the VQ35HR engine and CD009 trans, which got rid of the oil consumption in the Rev-up engine and syncro issues in the older 6 speeds. The CD009 is a very strong trans, so much so that a lot of people with 2JZ swaps in their cars are switching away from the expensive V160 to the CD009. All 350Z's across the board are known for power window motor failures but they aren't hard to replace.

Basically, avoid 03-early 04's and 2006's at all costs. 04.5-05 are good cars, assuming the syncros have been replaced or it's an auto trans. 07-09 are good cars as well.

QUOTE (Box @ Jan 30, 2017 - 10:52 AM) *
Now a 370Z on the other hand is another story.

370's actually aren't as good of a sports car as the 350. Nissan built the 350Z first, then changed a few things and softened it to turn it into a G35 coupe. But when it came time for a redesign, they built the G37 first then attempted to stiffen it up to turn it into the 379. It just didn't work all that well. In the Z/G community, a bolt-on HR 350 is a better car from the enthusiast standpoint. Not to put the 370 down, but it's just not quite as good as the 350's. (Bear in mind that I am disregarding Nismo's.)

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jan 30, 2017 - 12:33 PM
+Quote Post
msk59

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '14
From Tulsa, OK
Currently Offline

Thanks Box and Richee3. Over the weekend I did some search on the Z forums. The early 2009 and 10 370z had the CSC issue with transmission oil leaking through the Concentric Slave Cylinder. there was an after marked fix and the plastic parts were later replaced by metallic parts. Clutch hitting the floor was the problem because of the CSC on first two years. The 11 to 17 are apparently fine and go for high dollars. The car I looked at drove nice, however, had engine check light ON and the dealer was willing to look into it but not reducing the price. This model did have the Rev-up engine with 6 speed manual. This ws the Enthusiast level in the Convertible. (Conv. only came in 3 trim levels for 2006.). Overall it is a nice car but with all the complaints about this model, I can wait to find another one or another car. so now it makes sense why 2007, 08 and 09 are not readily available.

Another one on my list is Lexus 450 SC. There are few of those around but the early 2002 03 models. What do you guys know about this car. I read a few articles and visited the forum. Apparently it has a V8 in it and is hard top conv.

This post has been edited by msk59: Jan 30, 2017 - 12:42 PM
post Jan 30, 2017 - 12:46 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I forgot about the '07-09 models for some reason and how that resolved the issues, probably because I was thinking the 370Z was already out by then at the moment. I do like how the 350Z looks over the 370Z though, I'm not big on overly aggressive appearances.

The Lexus SC430?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6XehxpUguI

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 30, 2017 - 2:26 PM
+Quote Post
msk59

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '14
From Tulsa, OK
Currently Offline

Yes Sorry SC430. It was not much liked car because of the looks and other amenities but enginewise it was a reliable car.
post Jan 30, 2017 - 4:38 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

As much as I love V8's I rather have a 4 or 6 cylinder with a manual than a V8 with an automatic. If you want a V8 and automatic I'd look at the SC400 instead and '98-00 in particular, much better car than the SC430 in my opinion. Of course the Lexus SC and Nissan Z are entirely different animals, so it really comes down to what you're wanting in a car.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 30, 2017 - 4:59 PM
+Quote Post
msk59

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '14
From Tulsa, OK
Currently Offline

Actually SC is a compromise as I dont like automatics. I had a 2003 Martrix AWD and it had nothing wrong with it but being an auto, so i sold it and got a Nissan Frontier 6 speed Nismo. Then I found this ST and bought it as a project car. It has become my daily driver and is much fun to drive it. I always wanted Z but for one reason or another never got my hands on one. One main reason for looking at Sc was because it has back seats as there are 3 of us if we need to take it somewhere.
post Jan 30, 2017 - 7:11 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

G35 sounds like a possibly ideal solution then, get a rear seat and can get it with a manual.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 30, 2017 - 7:35 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jan 30, 2017 - 7:11 PM) *
G35 sounds like a possibly ideal solution then, get a rear seat and can get it with a manual.

Dammit, I agree with you and this was going to be my suggestion as well. I like Z's but I feel the VQ got a better home in the G's. I'm looking for a manual '07-'08 S sedan in Diamond Graphite over black with a spoiler. Hard to find.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jan 30, 2017 - 8:43 PM
+Quote Post
msk59

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '14
From Tulsa, OK
Currently Offline

I have liked the looks of those G35s. I think they look better than the new 37 IMO. Swiss, I am with you on the color and manual. Another car I saw at the Hyundai dealer is the Genesis Coupe but don't know much about it
post Jan 30, 2017 - 11:09 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Except for the rather lovely Genesis sedans, they're nothing but a KDM Mustang, with none of the benefits of a Mustang.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jan 31, 2017 - 1:57 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

My brother has a Genesis Coupe and they're fairly nice cars for their price. The 2.0T is based on the Mitsubishi 4B11T and is a pretty capable motor, handling capability is good but from the times I've driven it they seem somewhat understeer prone and the front end feels a little heavy. I think the staggered wheel fitment, even from the factory, is somewhat to blame for this. From my understanding the 2.0T is the one to go with since there really isn't much in the way of easy power with the V6. Found this Edmunds comparison of the V6 against a G37: https://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/genesis-cou...ison-test1.html

The only benefit of a Mustang is having a V8 with a manual, but then there's the Camaro that's better in every regard and also offers a V8 with a manual. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 31, 2017 - 3:13 PM
+Quote Post
msk59

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '14
From Tulsa, OK
Currently Offline

Either Camaro or the newest Mustang would always be on my list but the price is a little out of what I want to spend. I can afford either one of those but I want to pay down my house first. Damn Priorities!
post Jan 31, 2017 - 3:41 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

I have a lexus sc430. its an awesome car....

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Feb 1, 2017 - 9:11 PM
+Quote Post
msk59

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '14
From Tulsa, OK
Currently Offline

Hi NJ: What is your experience with SC430 and what year it is?
post Feb 2, 2017 - 3:33 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

2006 sc430. Not mine really. My daughter car. However ive driven it and is a heavy car, but very comfortable. its slow/fast. lol. good for a daily driver with hmmmp...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Feb 2, 2017 - 5:37 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

The backseat is so useless on the SC430 though which defies the purpose of not getting a 350Z. Since you like the Camaro and Mustang a GTO might be an option, backseat of those is actually pretty decent. I tested one out before getting the Firebird and they're pretty nice cars, my only complaint was the shifter felt like mushy crap which is funny because it's a T-56 just like the F-body but instead of being a toploader it's a linkage. I imagine a short shifter with firmer bushings would make it acceptable to good.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 3, 2017 - 5:07 PM
+Quote Post
msk59

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '14
From Tulsa, OK
Currently Offline

Which GTO are you talking about? Is this the one that was designed in Australia a few years back?
post Feb 3, 2017 - 5:24 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (msk59 @ Feb 3, 2017 - 6:07 PM) *
Which GTO are you talking about? Is this the one that was designed in Australia a few years back?

Yep. If you want one of those go with an 05-06. They're cracking little cars, and underrrated in my opinion. I don't think I could ever sell my celica, mainly because I've got more in it than it'll ever be worth.

--------------------
JDM Part King

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 7th, 2024 - 4:29 PM