> Oil light on dash flickers when idling
post Feb 13, 2013 - 2:22 PM
+Quote Post
Sinyk

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 4, '06
From Kelowna, BC Canada
Currently Offline

Hey guys, I've been noticing lately that my oil light on my dash will flicker when I come to a stop. If I put the car in neutral (yes it's an auto) the oil light will stop flickering, but when it is in gear, it flickers. My oil level is topped up so it isn't that. This has been going on for a while but it seems like it went away for a while or I wasn't noticing but I sure am now!

I recently had my timing belt, water pump, cam seals and crank seals replaced. I did have a defective oil pressure sender unit in the past and they replaced it with the current one. I am wondering if it is also faulty? Heck I don't even know where it is located on the 5S-FE.

I tried googling the issue and there's a lot of things that it could be including the oil pump in the pan or the strainer being clogged.

Anyone else run into this issue and figure it out?

--------------------
post Feb 13, 2013 - 5:28 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

The last time i had that issue it turns out the oil pump pulley was the problem....it flickered at idle and went off while driving. Not to long after it started to make this god awful noise. The pulley started to bounce around the bolt it rides on basicly going from a circle to an oval. So if you start hearing noises accompanied by flickering light i would check there. I would start by checking your wiring first as its alot easier than pulling it all apart.
post Feb 14, 2013 - 12:01 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

its in the head, take it out and with the ignition unplugged get someone to crank the starter over a little bit, see if oil flows out the hole

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post Feb 14, 2013 - 3:04 AM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

What oil weight are you running?

--------------------
1994 Toyota Celica GT-S 5S-FE 190k Miles. Project car
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5S-FE 170k Miles. Daily driver/beater
1999 Toyota Camry LE 5S-FE 216K Miles. RIP You will be missed.

*ASE Certified General Manager
post Feb 14, 2013 - 9:12 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (delusionz @ Feb 13, 2013 - 9:01 PM) *
its in the head, take it out and with the ignition unplugged get someone to crank the starter over a little bit, see if oil flows out the hole

yeah thats a bad idea, even with the engine just cranking, oil will shoot out and go everywhere.

Check the connector on the oil pressure sensor. it might be making a bad connection.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Feb 14, 2013 - 9:50 AM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Feb 14, 2013 - 10:12 AM) *
QUOTE (delusionz @ Feb 13, 2013 - 9:01 PM) *

yeah thats a bad idea, even with the engine just cranking, oil will shoot out and go everywhere.

Check the connector on the oil pressure sensor. it might be making a bad connection.

I did that not too long ago to see if the oil had any metal shavings in it before taking the head off, and oil oozed out of the sides of the head into the cams, it didn't exactly shoot out.

--------------------
1993 Celica GT Coupe - sold
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Feb 14, 2013 - 12:50 PM
+Quote Post
Sinyk

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 4, '06
From Kelowna, BC Canada
Currently Offline

QUOTE (RabidTRD @ Feb 14, 2013 - 4:04 AM) *
What oil weight are you running?

Should be 10w30, could be 5w30. Unfortunately i had a voucher for a free oil change at a mechanic that i use most of the time and I didn't ask what went in. The oil change was only about 1600 kms ago.

I noticed that it didn't happen yesterday or today (so far). Strange...

--------------------
post Feb 14, 2013 - 1:13 PM
+Quote Post
FrankB2

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 25, '12
From Pennsylvania
Currently Offline

I had the same thing happen on my '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee: stop, and the oil pressure needle dropped to zero, chime goes off, and a message saying "Check Guages" came on. After a month of this, I got tired of it, and paid $20 for a new sending unit. The telltale sign on the Jeep was oil seeping past the sending unit, and onto the female connector. It took longer to drive to Autozone than the actual job. wink.gif
post Mar 16, 2013 - 9:01 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

come to think of it i re-read the original post, the speculation is meaningless unless u have an oil pressure gauge

being that a standard motor shouldnt need one, u shouldnt be driving or cranking until that dummy light sender is replaced and further diagnosis taken place

rebuild price could shoot up from oil pump replace to block or crank replacement with the big end bearings

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post Mar 16, 2013 - 10:40 AM
+Quote Post
Malhar95

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 5, '09
From Katy/houston
Currently Offline

That happened to my car too. 5s auto
Excuse me cause i dont know the correct terms. (maybe it was just my luck or something) but I replaced my oil pan from one out if a camry. The camry had some sender unit or something that the celi didn't and couldn't accept due to space inside (pans were a little different) after that the light flickered. I checked the oil and thought is just some sensor acting up.

Long story short my bearing went out soon and needed another rebuild/engine

Like I said maybe just my luck and completely u. Related to ur prob but I figured it can't hurt to tell

--------------------
post Mar 16, 2013 - 9:08 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

it doesn't mean anything. it's just the oil sensor taking a min. to build pressure. Could be sludge could be any number of things.
What I would do.... is nothing.
Maybe start running pennzoil to help get the sludge out etc. But mine does it every day. Check your oil level and if it's fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

--------------------
post Mar 17, 2013 - 9:08 AM
+Quote Post
Galcobar

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 3, '05
From Richmond, B.C.
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Mar 16, 2013 - 6:08 PM) *
it doesn't mean anything. it's just the oil sensor taking a min. to build pressure. Could be sludge could be any number of things.
Maybe start running pennzoil to help get the sludge out etc. But mine does it every day. Check your oil level and if it's fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

If he'd described it as happening on start-up, I'd agree with you. However, his description ties the problem to RPMs; once the engine is running for a minute, oil pressure should be if not constant at least great enough to not trigger the low-pressure warning.
post Mar 17, 2013 - 2:18 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Galcobar @ Mar 17, 2013 - 9:08 AM) *
QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Mar 16, 2013 - 6:08 PM) *

If he'd described it as happening on start-up, I'd agree with you. However, his description ties the problem to RPMs; once the engine is running for a minute, oil pressure should be if not constant at least great enough to not trigger the low-pressure warning.

Missed that part of the story. Oops.
Yeah should not be a problem while running

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 28th, 2024 - 12:42 PM