6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the swap of the talk, if you have a 98 forget about it
post Feb 24, 2003 - 3:17 AM
+Quote Post
Guest_Matthew_*

Just so everyone knows.

If you have a 98 and newer celica you will not be able to do the 3s-gte swap. There are binary codes that make the ECU in cars work. Toyota has not released any of the codes for 98 or newer celicas. You can bypass the codes but it will fry the ECU. even if you get a new ECU from somewhere else it will continue to fry. I know this because after a long discussion with a Eric from Jarco inc about me doing the swap and how much and how long it will take he finally asked what year is your celica. I told him 98. then he told me about the codes. Believe if you want to or don't. It's up to you. If someone has done this then let me know so I can ask him about it. I'm just the messenger. That's why I have chosen to purchase a different celica besides the fact that I have an auto and to add the clutch and small brake pedals would mean having to drill into the firewall (which is illegal to drive after that).
post Feb 24, 2003 - 5:12 AM
+Quote Post
95STCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 12, '02
From New Jersey
Currently Offline

What if you got an ECU from a 97 and down Celica? Still wouldn't work?
post Feb 24, 2003 - 5:52 AM
+Quote Post
Neipas09

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 5, '02
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

I don't see why using the ECU from the 3sgte engine wouldn't work.
post Feb 24, 2003 - 11:26 AM
+Quote Post
Guest_Matthew_*

I mean that in order to make everything inside the car work. It also has something to do with the harness. All his talking about it got me a little confused because of all the technical talk about this that and the other thing. He just said that it would be pretty much impossible to do it on a 98 and newer celica. He also said that EL Prototypes is one of six authorized shops to do swaps by toyota. Whatever that means.

Edit: The big problem with the wiring harness and the ecu is that everything on the 3s-gte goes to the right side of the car and USDM cars go to the left side. You can use the ECU from the 3S as well, but it's all about the codes. USDM or JDM.

This post has been edited by igotta5S-FEturbo: Feb 24, 2003 - 11:28 AM
post Feb 24, 2003 - 12:19 PM
+Quote Post
Silver94CelicaOw...

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 13, '02
From Blairstown, New Jersey
Currently Offline

Yeah, i just read the Top Shelf Racing thing on the 3s-gte swap, and from this site, people make it sound pretty straight-foward....now im thinking otherwise, since theres bound to be a whole slew of wiring and mechanical issues involved. Thus, im not going for the swap.....lol.....ill just try to be content with what i got, i suppose. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

3rd gen ST205 3SGTE - Alive and boosting.
post Feb 24, 2003 - 9:59 PM
+Quote Post
Guest_Matthew_*

hey since you have a 94 it will be ok

just the 98's and newer you are gonna have some MAJOR MAJOR problems
post Feb 25, 2003 - 12:19 AM
+Quote Post
FallenHero

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 26, '02
From Alabama
Currently Offline

That I don't understand. Listen my friend. Just go to Motec and get a stand alone and don't worry about it. In the end it would be cheaper than getting a new car, and you wouldn't have to sell your car you have now.

This post has been edited by FallenHero: Feb 25, 2003 - 12:21 AM
post Feb 25, 2003 - 12:34 PM
+Quote Post
Charlie97L

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 1, '02
From North Bethesda, MD
Currently Offline

QUOTE (igotta5S-FEturbo @ Feb 24, 2003 - 7:59 PM)
hey since you have a 94 it will be ok

just the 98's and newer you are gonna have some MAJOR MAJOR problems

yeah, you should NOT use any of the wiring harness OR the ECU from your US celica. use the JDM harness, have it extended/modified to fit the US celica. That's what the "wiring" part is of the swap, it's not rewiring the car, but modifying the harness. you should be fine.

to add to that, maybe the 99s would have a problem, b/c there weren't any 99 gt4s, but there were 98s in the gt4. but really, you aren't using ANYTHING electrical from the US celica. take the ECU and harness and chuck it.

if you still have questions, hit me up on IM.

This post has been edited by Charlie97L: Feb 25, 2003 - 12:36 PM

--------------------
1994 Lexus ES300
1989 Supra Turbo
1990 RHD ST185RC - JDM Spec
post Feb 25, 2003 - 2:27 PM
+Quote Post
Guest_Matthew_*

QUOTE (FallenHero @ Feb 24, 2003 - 10:19 PM)
That I don't understand. Listen my friend. Just go to Motec and get a stand alone and don't worry about it. In the end it would be cheaper than getting a new car, and you wouldn't have to sell your car you have now.

yea well if you have a motec ecu then you still have to use the wiring harness and you need the programming codes for that. maybe you are right but i am just spreading the word
post Feb 25, 2003 - 4:09 PM
+Quote Post
Charlie97L

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 1, '02
From North Bethesda, MD
Currently Offline

QUOTE (igotta5S-FEturbo @ Feb 25, 2003 - 12:27 PM)
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Feb 24, 2003 - 10:19 PM)
That I don't understand.  Listen my friend.  Just go to Motec and get a stand alone and don't worry about it.  In the end it would be cheaper than getting a new car, and you wouldn't have to sell your car you have now.

yea well if you have a motec ecu then you still have to use the wiring harness and you need the programming codes for that. maybe you are right but i am just spreading the word

no the motec comes with it's own harness... all standalone EMS's come with a harness to replace the stock one.

--------------------
1994 Lexus ES300
1989 Supra Turbo
post Feb 25, 2003 - 5:00 PM
+Quote Post
Guest_Matthew_*

well also towards fallenhero about saying not to buy another celica. i kinda have to. main reason is because i have an auto there are no holes for the clutch pedal to come through the firewall. so that means cutting in to the firewall and no shop will do that. and that also means that i would have to buy the small brake pedal and arm and the clutch pedal and arms. plus a lot of other small parts. i am not going to sell my current celica. well i am kinda. my gf wants it. so i told 6000. and it's hers. she agreed.
post Feb 26, 2003 - 12:36 AM
+Quote Post
FallenHero

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 26, '02
From Alabama
Currently Offline

Yea, I agree with you. Good luck finding a new(or older actually) celica. Get a silver one, they're the best. : )
post Feb 26, 2003 - 12:39 AM
+Quote Post
1bwilson

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 30, '02
From Maryland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (FallenHero @ Feb 25, 2003 - 10:36 PM)
Get a silver one, they're the best. : )

Damn straight!

-Bryan-

--------------------
Member of Team 5sfTe
post Feb 26, 2003 - 1:21 AM
+Quote Post
NEVERSTOP

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 4, '02
From Davenport Iowa
Currently Offline

let me get this right... ur saying that the 3sgte ecu will not work with the usdm electrical harness that controls the dash in a 98+right? if thats the case then just get the wiring harness for the dash out of a 94-95 celica and wire it in.. that wouldnt be too hard to do I would look into that before you sell your car.. even though if you got an older (say 94-95 celica) it would cost less then what you could sell urs for so that would free up some cash for paint and stuff like that.

--------------------

99 project version 3.0.. hello SEMA 2010 =)
post Feb 26, 2003 - 11:59 AM
+Quote Post
Guest_Matthew_*

QUOTE (FallenHero @ Feb 25, 2003 - 10:36 PM)
Yea, I agree with you. Good luck finding a new(or older actually) celica. Get a silver one, they're the best. : )

it doesn't really matter what color i get because i am gonna end up painting it the same color as the celica in my signature.

but if it is blue then i am gonna do that perfect blue. can't decide which yet

maybe even pearl white.
post Feb 26, 2003 - 3:07 PM
+Quote Post
FallenHero

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 26, '02
From Alabama
Currently Offline

Nono, DuPont Platinum Chroma!!!
post Feb 26, 2003 - 4:26 PM
+Quote Post
Charlie97L

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 1, '02
From North Bethesda, MD
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NEVERSTOP @ Feb 25, 2003 - 11:21 PM)
let me get this right... ur saying that the 3sgte ecu will not work with the usdm electrical harness that controls the dash in a 98+right? if thats the case then just get the wiring harness for the dash out of a 94-95 celica and wire it in.. that wouldnt be too hard to do I would look into that before you sell your car.. even though if you got an older (say 94-95 celica) it would cost less then what you could sell urs for so that would free up some cash for paint and stuff like that.

you shouldn't even USE the US wiring harness! i don't know why people seem to be confused about this. use the JDM one! lengthen the wires. that's what the "wiring" part of the swap is!

--------------------
1994 Lexus ES300
1989 Supra Turbo
post Mar 2, 2003 - 11:51 PM
+Quote Post
FallenHero

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 26, '02
From Alabama
Currently Offline

I see no reason why it shouldn't work. If you have3 the front clip, it should be no problem. I didn't think they changed anything from 96 to 99.
post Mar 3, 2003 - 12:15 AM
+Quote Post
Guest_Matthew_*

they really didn't change anything

it's just that toyota has not released the binary codes for the 98+ celicas. (I don't know about the other toyota cars). I have boughten the Motec 4 so everyone knows. Thanks chuck for the advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 7th, 2024 - 1:22 AM