6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> external wastegate adapter and supporting the turbo?
post Oct 19, 2011 - 7:54 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

Since I'm redoing my exhaust and mounting the turbo. I'm considering ordering the external wastegate adapter that fits between the mani and the turbo. Doing this will drop the turbo a couple inches, and will make supporting the turbo more difficult since I will have to make my own bracket

Has anyone done this or have you just bought a turbo manifold that already had a wastegate attachment on it?

btw, this is a Gen III 3sgte, and I'm running a FMIC instead of the TMIC. I would like to be able to remove the stock wastegate actuator and spin the turbo so it faces down instead of up making it easier to run the turbo piping to the I/C. It will look cleaner too.

This post has been edited by match220: Oct 20, 2011 - 5:15 PM

--------------------
-Jay

95 GT conv. project car: Manual, Gen III 3sgte, JN pisons, Eagle rods, overbore, crank knife-edged, crank scraper, ARP head/main/flywheel, Autronic EMS, Haltech Dual Wideband O2 controller, Audi 1.8T individual coils, FMIC and SSQV BOV, 3" downpipe, 3" ultra-high-flow cat, 2.5" Borla muffler, +other
01 S2000: FMIC, Haltech EMS, Haltech wideband, 570cc inj, forged pistons/rods, sleeved block, 5 angle valve job, ported and polished
02 R6, all stock, except for braided stainless brake lines, frame sliders, and adjustable brake/clutch leve
post Oct 21, 2011 - 9:30 AM
+Quote Post
ST205WRC

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 30, '10
From amarillo texas
Currently Offline

do some research there are plenty of walkthroughs for clocking the turbo and still retaining the factory wastegate actuator. i dont think its worth it if your going to stay with stock turbo. if you were going to upgrade the turbo then i would say yes an adaptor with a wastegate port would work and with the stock manifold i dont think you will have any problems with cracking.
post Oct 21, 2011 - 9:58 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

YES, if you are going to get the adapter, get one that has a T3 flange on it.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Oct 21, 2011 - 11:11 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE (match220 @ Oct 19, 2011 - 8:54 PM) *
Since I'm redoing my exhaust and mounting the turbo. I'm considering ordering the external wastegate adapter that fits between the mani and the turbo. Doing this will drop the turbo a couple inches, and will make supporting the turbo more difficult since I will have to make my own bracket

Has anyone done this or have you just bought a turbo manifold that already had a wastegate attachment on it?

btw, this is a Gen III 3sgte, and I'm running a FMIC instead of the TMIC. I would like to be able to remove the stock wastegate actuator and spin the turbo so it faces down instead of up making it easier to run the turbo piping to the I/C. It will look cleaner too.

Just make a strong bracket to hold the wg actuator.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Oct 21, 2011 - 3:12 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (presure2 @ Oct 21, 2011 - 6:11 AM) *
Just make a strong bracket to hold the wg actuator.

yeah, I've seen some other guys do that. I was kinda thinking in terms of preparing for the future by making it ready for an external wastegate now and just having a block off plate covering the external wastegate flanges. Eh, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there and just clock the turbo, make a bracket and be done with it.

--------------------
-Jay

95 GT conv. project car: Manual, Gen III 3sgte, JN pisons, Eagle rods, overbore, crank knife-edged, crank scraper, ARP head/main/flywheel, Autronic EMS, Haltech Dual Wideband O2 controller, Audi 1.8T individual coils, FMIC and SSQV BOV, 3" downpipe, 3" ultra-high-flow cat, 2.5" Borla muffler, +other
01 S2000: FMIC, Haltech EMS, Haltech wideband, 570cc inj, forged pistons/rods, sleeved block, 5 angle valve job, ported and polished
02 R6, all stock, except for braided stainless brake lines, frame sliders, and adjustable brake/clutch leve
post Oct 21, 2011 - 4:13 PM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

just make sure its properly designed, or it will flex when the actuator tries to operate, leading to boost creep/spike.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 1:43 PM