> Another 3s swap problem, driver's side axle pops out
post Aug 18, 2005 - 8:41 PM
+Quote Post
ems3s

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 17, '05
From Melbourne, Australia
Currently Offline

Are you sure? I tried a st185 x-member and the damn thing wasn't even close. I still have the thing and a rear 185 mount.

I used the orig cross-member (same part n# as 205) with 205 rear mount and bracket.

For the front and right i used gt mounts and bracket (same parts but different n#'s as 205)

For the left i used 205 mount and was lucky enough to have found a 205 bracket.

185 mounts would be fine, for right and left but not front and rear. I thoroughly went thru this on the parts finder program at the toyota dealer confriming this.
post Aug 18, 2005 - 9:28 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

Yeah I'm sure the engine is in my car now with the st185 mounts and crossmember, its from a 91 clip, I don't think that makes a difference. All I had to do for the front mount was get a custom one made that was shorter.
post Aug 19, 2005 - 1:32 PM
+Quote Post
sphinx

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 10, '03
From South Central Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Rjb23 @ Aug 18, 2005 - 2:31 PM)
I'm just wondering why your having problems with it and sphinx has the same set up but not the same problems.

Yeah they are all e153 trannies, the st185 tranny is also the e153 but it is e153p, different differential, the differentials may be different on the others too.

My mounts I have the st185 mounts all the way around and a custom mount for the front mount.
[right][snapback]325644[/snapback][/right]

Sup everyone. Here's my input.

Just to clarify, he's using MR2 inner shafts and ST185 outer shafts.
I'm using MR2 inner shafts and Camry V6 outer shafts.

I had the same problem. My axels would pop out because they seemed too short. That's exactly what's happening with your car. At first i thought i had the wrong outer shaft, so returned it and got another one, but it was exactly the same. Put it on and the axel still popped out. Then i thought it was the safety clip at the tip of the MR2 inner shaft. Took it off and it seemed a little loose and I could squeeze it easily with my fingers. So i ordered a new one from Toyota, slapped it on, put in the axel, and it still popped out. I gave up that day, and decided to try again the next day. The next morning, i popped the axel back in, and it didn't pop out anymore.

Everything worked fine, but i notice that i was still leaking tranny oil. And now the problem that I'm having is that the axel doesn't pop out of the tranny, but it seems like it wants to. It looks like someone is pulling the !@#$ out of it. When i get under the car, i'm left with a 1/8 of an inch gap between the axel seal and the axel, hence where my oil is leaking from.

The only solution that I can think of is to fabricate some sort of spacer to insert between the inner shaft and outer shaft. Have it be like about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick.

I'm going to try and attemp this within the next couple of weeks when i get a chance.

Let me know if you guys don't understand any of this. I tend not to make any sense sometimes.

sphinx
post Aug 20, 2005 - 12:11 AM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

Are the solara inners the same I wonder?
post Aug 20, 2005 - 12:39 AM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

Ok I looked it up and the 92-96 camry wheel base is 103", solara 105", Where ours are 99.9", where the mr2 is 94.5.

Now will the 92-96 camry axles seperate into to peices and bolt up to the mr2 turbo axles? And if they do what will the length of them be?

Also how different are the st185 axles from the mr2 axles?

This post has been edited by Rjb23: Aug 20, 2005 - 12:41 AM
post Aug 20, 2005 - 11:53 AM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

I just got off the phone with the mechanic at XAT and they said they use the mr2 inners, alltrac outers.

Sphinx your problem sounds like what ems was talking about, the pop ring not being in the correct position.
post Aug 20, 2005 - 2:29 PM
+Quote Post
celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

The first time this happened, I pulled the axle out myself on accident when putting the suspension back on. The second time it happened I hit a bump and it came out. We might be able to shed some light on all this if someone has access to solara axles. We need to compare the length from different inner shafts for hte e153 trannies. I think it's definetely too short with the setup I have. It didn't pop out before b/c w/o a rear mount the motor sat over an inch towards the driver's side. I had to force the motor over a little to fit into the mount. So,,, does anyone have access to a bunch of inner shafts?
post Aug 22, 2005 - 10:24 PM
+Quote Post
DG_Performance

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 21, '03
From Pennsylvania
Currently Offline

steve,
i got alltrac complete hubs & axles so if you need something give me a ring....you got my #
why dont you go with the gt axles?
dg

--------------------
IPB Image
post Aug 25, 2005 - 10:41 AM
+Quote Post
celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

Thanks Dave, I'll give you a ring this weekend. Sphinx that is the exact same idea that i had. I may make a custom mount and that spacer. Here is how my motor sit. Comfortably the rear mount is about 2" toward the driver's side away from the crossmember. I will be making a plate that will be welded to the bottom of the insulator, and also bolted to the crossmember. It is gonna have 3 nuts welded to it so that 3 bolts will bolt to it through the crossmember. This should let the motor sit where it wants and also give it support. I think the passenger mount may be in the wrong place. Something has to be out of alignment. Here are the pics of the st185 and camry outers. They are identical to each other
user posted image
post Aug 25, 2005 - 6:00 PM
+Quote Post
sphinx

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 10, '03
From South Central Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Yeah, i'm gonna have to make a spaces for them too.
post Aug 25, 2005 - 7:33 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

My problem is I can't find mr2 axles. I've tried every where. I have some on order hopefully this place comes through for me.
post Aug 25, 2005 - 8:10 PM
+Quote Post
ems3s

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 17, '05
Currently Offline

celica3sgte the custom mount for the rear that you talking about is exactly what the 205 rear mount is. It is offset to the drivers side like required. remember 205 and 204 crossmembers are one and the same, 205 mounts are direct bolt on. Only difference between the two series is in the rear and drivers side mounts. ie the timing belt side mounts are the same. so it can't be out of whack.

Once you get the correct mounts loosen all of them slightly and then retension when all are lined up. This what i had to do, it now sits dead straight.
You can still get these mounts from toyota japan.
post Aug 26, 2005 - 7:07 AM
+Quote Post
ZoomZoom

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '04
From Toronto
Currently Offline

what year camry outers is that from.
Im using a mr2 inners and alltrac outers and so far so good,
it hasn't pop out yet.
let me know what year camry is that coz im thinking of changing my outers to camry coz I know that the passenger side of mine is little bit short.
Thanks
post Aug 26, 2005 - 11:57 AM
+Quote Post
celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

I believe it's the 92-95 camry outers, but they are the same length as what you have so it won't help you. Wow, ems I didn't know that. Are you able to take a pic for me?
post Aug 26, 2005 - 7:22 PM
+Quote Post
ems3s

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 17, '05
Currently Offline

celica3sgte, I wish I could take some pics of the mount right now but my car is at the workshop 60miles away. Take my word on it though. Cos i tried all sorts of other things like 185 x-member and 185 rear mounts with no luck.

I'll get my car back some time during the next week. I'll take some pics then if your not in a hurry you can see what I mean then, But yeah it is what you need. Here i found this pic on the forum.

You may just be able to work it out the offset on the bottom left mount in the pic.
205 mounts pic

Don't worry about the prices quoted there. He got majorly ripped and they were trd mounts anyway. 205 mounts cost exactly the same as 204's from toyota dealers here in oz so they shouldn't cost much more on special order in N.America.

Hope all this helps, I'll post pics of the mounts on my car as soon as i get it back.

This post has been edited by ems3s: Aug 26, 2005 - 7:31 PM
post Aug 27, 2005 - 9:40 PM
+Quote Post
celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

Awesome work ems. I'll order that thing soon.

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 28th, 2024 - 10:30 AM