> The 6GC Nerds Thread, For anyone that considers themselves a 'nerd'
post Jan 8, 2020 - 7:08 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Friend dropped off the old PC I built them so I can see if I can reuse the case and they wanted their old hard drives in the new system so they have all their old stuff.

Holey ole **** me what the ****. I need to figure out how to put some pictures up here because just the outside...there's rust on the top of the case and paint missing on a whole corner of the top. Oh they've been using it as a foot stool. Is that mouse **** on top of it? Yeah probably. I haven't even opened it yet. I think I'm just going to tell them they need a new case because I don't really want to work with this nasty thing. I'll glue a wooden board on top of it so they don't bang up the top using it as a foot stool this time...for ****s sake.

--------------------
post Jan 8, 2020 - 8:17 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 8, 2020 - 7:08 PM) *
Friend dropped off the old PC I built them so I can see if I can reuse the case and they wanted their old hard drives in the new system so they have all their old stuff.

Holey ole **** me what the ****. I need to figure out how to put some pictures up here because just the outside...there's rust on the top of the case and paint missing on a whole corner of the top. Oh they've been using it as a foot stool. Is that mouse **** on top of it? Yeah probably. I haven't even opened it yet. I think I'm just going to tell them they need a new case because I don't really want to work with this nasty thing. I'll glue a wooden board on top of it so they don't bang up the top using it as a foot stool this time...for ****s sake.

Lol just use imgur. I started using that after PhotoBucket hit the bucket (lol). Once you upload it then just use the "direct link." Make sure to select the image size too, as that helps.
With that description I am intrigued to find out what it looks like now.
post Jan 8, 2020 - 8:31 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I don't care for imgur, their TOS technically forbids hotlinking images and even though they allow it now they could at any point in the future pull a ****ing Photobucket and screw us all over and break all the hotlinked images. Nah, I don't want to participate in that kind of thing again. I'll figure something out, or not. lol whatevs.

--------------------
post Jan 9, 2020 - 10:26 AM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 8, 2020 - 8:31 PM) *
I don't care for imgur, their TOS technically forbids hotlinking images and even though they allow it now they could at any point in the future pull a ****ing Photobucket and screw us all over and break all the hotlinked images. Nah, I don't want to participate in that kind of thing again. I'll figure something out, or not. lol whatevs.

I'm pretty sure all image hosting sites have a clause like that. Yet, most of them allow it anyway without so much as a watermark.
Many of the forums recently updated their platforms and now allow image uploads, though I don't see that happening here anytime soon.
post Jan 9, 2020 - 1:57 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

Flickr's been good for me. Still need to update my photos on here some day but with the forum the way it is, I don't see much of a point.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jan 9, 2020 - 10:20 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/114382...build-pc-build/

--------------------
post Jan 10, 2020 - 9:57 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

That is disgusting.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jan 10, 2020 - 10:35 AM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

Reminds me of a time I was asked to fix an overheating laptop for a neighbor. They had a cat. I took it apart and pulled out a 1/4" thick compacted strip of cat hair sitting at the radiator exit.
post Jan 10, 2020 - 1:00 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

Dang that's bad. I just get shivers looking at those images. I cannot believe it would get that bad.
post Jan 10, 2020 - 1:37 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

The strawberry air freshener I hung inside it in 2011 wasn't helping anymore.

--------------------
post Jan 12, 2020 - 1:33 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

The hunk of **** actually boots up, I even OC'd it to 2ghz just because Core2Duo's OC super easy. Board has NO voltage controls, just a FSB to 265 so I set it to like 250 and ran with it. Why? Pfft why not. The RAM that was supposed to be here today won't be here till Monday and I just found out last night that the back plate I bought won't work with the Spire cooler (or Stealth cooler) because the threaded posts are too short. More waiting to get the correct back plate for $7 now. Bought some "vivid green' LED strips for it, convinced her to get a better case, and figured out her actual budget rather than 'well just do what you think I need' which is an awful plan and always ends up in someone doing something wrong. $700. At $300 so far, $75 for a case and 5 pack of decent fans.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HC782D5/ Fans
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079X2P3TR Case

She's not keen on glass panels but honestly anything without one was a much worse overall case and I'd take a glass panel over the $5 cheaper version of the case with a plastic window panel. Because PC maintenance is probably not going to happen I'm going to setup the airflow weird on this PC. The top will have some fine mesh magnetic filters for ease of access to clean and that will be the intake. The front will be exhaust. The rest of the case will be blocked off to prevent dust from getting in as much. I'm hoping if the filters are easy to get at and clean then they may actually get cleaned. I also try to remember to ask her to bring it to me once a year at work (like a block from her house) to blow the dust out for her.

--------------------
post Jan 12, 2020 - 4:20 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I like blowing stuff... with compressed air, whoooshhhh. That and I have electronic cleaner spray.

Also turns out I didn't click with the synth so it'll be returned, but at least Iearned some things about what I'd like in the replacement. Should've just been a guitarist, that's a lot simpler.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 12, 2020 - 5:05 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jan 12, 2020 - 3:20 AM) *
I like blowing stuff... with compressed air, whoooshhhh. That and I have electronic cleaner spray.

Also turns out I didn't click with the synth so it'll be returned, but at least Iearned some things about what I'd like in the replacement. Should've just been a guitarist, that's a lot simpler.

You need a turbo is what you need, then you can get blown everytime you take a drive! laugh.gif
Well bummer the synth didn't work out but you'll find the right instrument, sometimes you just gotta try a bunch that aren't right first.

I scored a Wraith Prism for $32 shipped for the 1600 AF so it'll look extra pretty inside the computer case with the green light strips too. I'll have to have her come over and go through all the new **** so she's not texting/calling me for tech support a bunch all the time and I'm not trying to pull answers out of my photographic memory.

Also I'm trying to walk my mom through upgrading her laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it's dual boot Ubuntu and she uses Windows like 2-3 times a year so she's pretty lost using Windows now lol, honestly it is a little less intuitive than the Ubuntu distro she's familiar with now.

--------------------
post Jan 12, 2020 - 6:37 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 12, 2020 - 4:05 PM) *

You need a turbo is what you need, then you can get blown everytime you take a drive! laugh.gif
Well bummer the synth didn't work out but you'll find the right instrument, sometimes you just gotta try a bunch that aren't right first.

I'm not wild about the threshold that comes with that though. Just give me natural aspiration and a stick in my hand. Yeah, seems to be the story of my life though... so hard to find synths, or cars, that I can fall in love with...

This post has been edited by Box: Jan 12, 2020 - 6:38 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 12, 2020 - 8:37 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jan 12, 2020 - 5:37 PM) *

I'm not wild about the threshold that comes with that though. Just give me natural aspiration and a stick in my hand. Yeah, seems to be the story of my life though... so hard to find synths, or cars, that I can fall in love with...

That's what she said?

--------------------
post Jan 12, 2020 - 10:14 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 12, 2020 - 7:37 PM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Jan 12, 2020 - 5:37 PM) *

That's what she said?

Damn straight that's what I said.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 13, 2020 - 9:15 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

So I'm all set on Motherboards for new builds but if anyone needs a good board on a budget, put a snipe on one of these! You can order a new CPU socket from Aliexpress and pop the cover off the new and snap it onto the motherboard very easily. The trick is ordering the right socket, there's two makers of AM4 sockets I'm aware of. Lotes and Foxconn, if you look at the board and see who made the other ports and sockets usually they're all from one or the other and the CPU socket is the same. A good snipe should be able to score one of those boards for about 1/2 what they usually go for on eBay, a great way to get onto AM4 socket for cheap AND do so with a good board!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-B450-AORU...NG/372911691868
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-ROG-Crosshair...NG/143500003861
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Prime-X470-Pr...NG/143499994742

This post has been edited by Bitter: Jan 13, 2020 - 9:18 PM

--------------------
post Jan 24, 2020 - 9:23 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Case came in for her PC build but it was dented to **** so it went right back and I ordered another one and hope for the best.

On a more positive note the Ryzen 5 1600 AF undervolted like a champ and topped with a Wraith Prism runs very cool so it's able to clock itself up to 3630 all core at around 1 volt. It's not Intel efficient but it's pretty good!

--------------------
post Jan 26, 2020 - 8:39 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Boo, dents!

So I think I'm like 90% of the way toward picking out synths. :lol:

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 28, 2020 - 8:58 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Replacement case came, no dents, but I can sure see why it's so cheap. Super thin steel and fit and finish is certainly belying of the price point. Airflow looks like it should be decent I just need to figure out how get a slight positive pressure going on in the case to help keep dust out and maybe some weather stripping along the glass side panel to keep dust out from around there too.

--------------------

18 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 1:53 AM