> 1996 Celica GT: The Roadtripper, 1MZ swap: 90% there
post Feb 7, 2012 - 4:28 AM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

I'll just skip to the good stuff here as no one likes a long story.

Bought car, lowered, blew head gasket, fixed. Put in some 5GC cams and a header at the same damn time. Drove, let friend drive for a while, got back. Head asked blew again, did again. Motor started knocking, and here we are.

The go:
--1MZ swap in the bay, awaiting wiring
--S54 with welded diff

The stop:
--5x114 swap in progress (I still need wheels)
--V6 Camry brakes

The dance:
--Tein Stechs
--GR2s
--Rebuilt rear end
--GT4 rear tower bar

The show:
--2post
--OEM 15s painted black (for now)

The beats:
--Sony Bt2900
--Alpine Speakers

The glasses:
--HID lows
--Yellow highs

This post has been edited by bnr32celica: Oct 12, 2013 - 6:16 PM
post Feb 7, 2012 - 1:06 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

what are these 5s cams and injectors you speak of?

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Feb 7, 2012 - 5:13 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Feb 7, 2012 - 1:06 PM) *
what are these 5s cams and injectors you speak of?

The 5g cams and injectors are slightly more aggressive than the 6g stuff. I had a dead injector, so I figured why not. 5g Celicas are VERY prevalent in the yards here. I noticed a little more oomph up top, but not much anywhere else.

I have a slightly limited budget with this car (I also have another car, which if you read my username, you can decipher its chassis code), so this Celica will basically be OEM+.
post Feb 7, 2012 - 5:56 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Guess i need to hit up a few 5gc at the scrap yard

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Jul 30, 2013 - 10:37 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

Well, I finally got myself a Photobucket as my phone ran out of storage.

Haven't done much but put 73,000 miles on her in 19 months, but there's been some adventures.

The obligatory day I got her picture:

Then I lowered her not too long after:

Then she went on a road trip, but not before a washing:

Then some asshole kids decided to break into my car and smash my 3post & rear window, so $1400 later, I had a 2post and a BRAND NEW LAST IN THE USA EVER rear glass:

I had a coolant hose burst 300 miles from home, at this Target somewhere in the Northeast, I fixed it with a hose meant for a Buick 3800, luckily, my friend didn't need heat, and he did a bypass:

Another road trip, this time in the Berkshires:

Bit the bullet and got HIDs:

After 245,000 miles, my stock CD player decided it didn't want to play CDs anymore, so I got a deck with Bluetooth:

I also redid the entire rear end around this time with new ball joint bushings, rear tower bar, etc (big shouts to my buddies at D'addarios Service for the lift!):

250,000 mile road trip to Brooklyn for some White Castle and visiting family in Crown Heights:

Then I enjoyed her for another 32,000 miles or so until I had to do this job again:

Now, I'm tearing out the 5S in preparation for something cliché, but totally awesome.

This post has been edited by bnr32celica: Jul 30, 2013 - 11:03 PM
post Jul 31, 2013 - 7:38 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

hows the swap coming along?

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Jul 31, 2013 - 9:05 AM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Jul 31, 2013 - 8:38 AM) *
hows the swap coming along?

I'm an hour into it, and all topside connections are disconnected except for mounts. Todayif get a few spare minutes, I will climb under and finish up with the removal.
post Jul 31, 2013 - 10:48 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

There's a 5S sitting outside the Celica on my hoist. Next time she runs, it will be with 166 less cc's, 30 degrees more cam angle, and making funny sneezing noises. Just waiting on my phone to upload to my Dropbox, then I can transfer to my photobucket.

I haven't torn the old motor apart to find out why it seized up, but I can do that tomorrow when I split the S54 off it.

Friday I SHOULD be taking delivery of the new heart, courtesy of PrimeMR2. Then the real fun begins of maintaining OBD2 with a motor clearly never designed for that. A trip to Manny may be in order for tuning when done, scratch that, it'll have to happen.

I would love to use my Haltech, but the CT emissions Nazis say otherwise.
post Aug 2, 2013 - 10:48 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

Spun a bearing in cylinder 4. Actually, I WELDED a bearing to the crank is more like it. Rest of block awesome shape, crank is not.

This just got more interesting considering 99.999% of people in the world doubt a 3SGTE can run on OBD2.
post Aug 4, 2013 - 11:27 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

Well, my credit card is getting a workout. Purchased a good used eManage ultimate from ebay, as well as some key exhaust pieces. Still need a radiator, hoses, and intercooler, but those will have to wait until next week. This is going quite far over budget, but I'm hoping it'll work out in the end. Got in touch with a good tuner, and basically said "tell me what I need, and I'll buy it," so I bought that. Remember, full OBD2 is a must, and we determined that the easiest (and probably most cost-effective) way to maintain it was a piggyback ECU: Tuning is something I don't know much about, so I'll let the professionals handle it.

Luckily, Greddy has a basemap already setup for a Gen3 3SGTE, which is essentially what my Gen2 will be after the crank sensor conversion and slightly larger turbo. I'll at least be able to drive her to the tuner. Wish me luck, I want 1000 miles before CSP.
post Aug 7, 2013 - 5:49 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

Motor hunting sucks, but so glad it's over. Found EXACTLY what I wanted all along, with low miles and a good price. Should be here this time next week. It's coming from SC.

All I really wanted was a mild upgrade, and I kinda got caught up in the power game. I purchased a 4runner for the 5VZ, and when it turned out to be a dud, I said I was done with anything crazy. I just want to drive her again, and if I want to go fast, I have another car that's RWD and turbo to do as such. I asked Catie what she wanted for a new heart, and she told me a mild upgrade was fine. I listened, hit the 'net, and came up all 7s.

It'll satiate my need to rev out every now and then, get the same MPG or better, and be an improvement in all the right places.

That's right...I'm just going with a lowly 3SGE. It seemed like the absolute best option for the car, the time, and the money. I just don't have the time for some epic build wherein Ispend every night wrenching, blow $5000 on the build, and have 3 months downtime. I really wanted a powerful Celica, but I really want even more a Celica that I can put another 282k on with no trouble. It's been killing me the past week or so not being able to drive her,.
post Aug 8, 2013 - 4:57 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

For once I listened to everybody and did the right thing...however, I now have two engines, 1 Celica, and hours of wiring ahead of me.

I'm going to try to accomplish the wiring myself on the 1MZ swap, simply because I don't have three weeks to wait around. Wiring diagrams will be needed, and by my own admission, I'm not that adept at it, but I don't have a choice but to at least try. I want her up and running in two weeks. Well, if it isn't, I'm pretty sure my dad will set fire to it, so yeah. Not to mention that without a firm daily driver, I've been stressing.

Parts I've ordered or have n possession:

--1MZFE from a 1995 Camry wagon, 112k ($200)
--Southbend clutch for 3SGTE/V6 swap with S54 trans($0...I was owed money)
--Trans Mounts ($120)
--Gen1 JDM 3SGE ($325, on the way)
--3S maintenance parts ($300 from Toyota)

Common sense says find another Celica and V6 that, but I have the 1MZ, and that is a terrible thing to waste, like a black kid's mind. Would rather have the 1MZ in the daily, and the 3SGE in like a TE37 or something.

Does anyone else besides Mr220v do the wiring for these swaps?

Also, Who wants to make me an engine mount for that passenger's side?
post Aug 9, 2013 - 6:40 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

MOAR PICS!!!

Installed an oil pressure gauge to see what the hell was really going on with the 5S. Readings weren't good.

I ended up doing this:

Because of this:

So here she sits like this:

But today I removed this:

Basically, she is a complete shell at this point in prep for the 1MZ. The podcast discussing the GTE swap was a big help in removing the harness inside the car and from the engine fuse box. I replayed that 30-second snippet like 8 times.

Harnesses will get mated next week locally.
post Aug 19, 2013 - 4:15 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

Tiny update before I add pictures.

Motor is home, I will be resealing her over the next few weeks. Turns out it's a 95 1MZ, which I wasn't happy about. Luckily, my harness builder was able to confirm OBD2 compatibility as such, so we wil proceed with it. Parts are comings by the day, once I order the head gasket set, I can really go to town on it.
post Aug 19, 2013 - 5:10 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

jeez man youve been all over the place with this!! cant wait to see it back together!

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Aug 19, 2013 - 10:58 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

This should be one of the best done v6 swap to date once it done!
Can't wait to see it on the road

--------------------
n
post Aug 20, 2013 - 9:08 AM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

My goal is to be done a week before the meet. I'm trying for it, but it's been a tough road when you barely have time to work on it.

I'm just leaving this here for future reference,basically what I have left to buy:

--1MZ upper end gasket kit
--more Toyota RTV made of unicorn piss and fairy farts
--pay Smaay for the mount
--call Driveshaftshop and get the FINAL price on my lengthened MR2 axle (no carrier mount FTW)
--call tose guys on eBay because it's been THREE WEEKS and I don't have my headers yet
--continue to pester Kurt, buy Kurt and wife a nice dinner after the meet for all their help
post Aug 20, 2013 - 10:05 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Hey its what I'm here for lol

--------------------
n
post Aug 20, 2013 - 9:28 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

fastest 1MZ swap ever haha...aaaaaand GO!

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Aug 20, 2013 - 10:08 PM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

Ten years as a flat rate tech has its perks.

Hook ups at a parts store rule. Got the gasket kit on order for a lot cheaper than Lithia...and it's OEM.

Might have the engine in this weekend.

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 8:47 PM