> transmission fluid needs changed
post Dec 16, 2013 - 2:21 PM
+Quote Post
Terzin1

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 19, '05
From Indianapolis
Currently Offline

I'm looking to do some regular maintenance on my 95 GT vert. The car runs fantastic. I just checked the tranny fluid stick and it's looking a littler more brown than I like. I've had the car nearly a decade and never had it changed, but I think my parents did at one point. Needless to say, it's pretty brown and needs it.

Is this something that I could do at home w/o a lift or is it something that is not worth the headache and I should get a garage to do it? If it's the garage route, what would a good price for the tranny fluid change be? First garage I called wanted $150.

This post has been edited by Terzin1: Dec 16, 2013 - 2:27 PM

--------------------
For the best designs and screen printing.
WE DON'T PRINT UGLY.
www.TERZink.com
post Dec 16, 2013 - 2:30 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

If your car isn't lowered it is very easy to do. Do you know how to do it or do you need instructions on the process?

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Dec 16, 2013 - 2:39 PM
+Quote Post
Terzin1

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 19, '05
From Indianapolis
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Dec 16, 2013 - 2:30 PM) *
If your car isn't lowered it is very easy to do. Do you know how to do it or do you need instructions on the process?

Yes, I would need instructions. I don't have a repair manual.

--------------------
WE DON'T PRINT UGLY.
www.TERZink.com
post Dec 16, 2013 - 2:47 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

looked at your car. And correct me if I am wrong but it looks to be Automatic.
Here is a link to step-by-step another member wrote for the 5SFE auto trans fluid change.
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=37397

give it a read through and judge if youll be able to handle it or not. I had assumed you had a manual trans, Ive never changed auto trans fluid

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Dec 16, 2013 - 2:49 PM

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Dec 16, 2013 - 3:50 PM
+Quote Post
Terzin1

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 19, '05
From Indianapolis
Currently Offline

Yes, it is automatic. What is the difference?

--------------------
WE DON'T PRINT UGLY.
www.TERZink.com
post Dec 17, 2013 - 9:20 AM
+Quote Post
Special_Edy

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 29, '11
From Haltom City, Texas
Currently Offline

For manual transmission s we just remove a drain plug, drain it, and refill with 2.4 quarts of 75-90W gear oil.

With an automatic there will undoubtedly be a transmission filter that needs changed. Not sure what the OEM filter costs but autozone or OReilly will have one for around $15 including the gasket.

Your going to have to remove the transmission oil pan to drain the fluid and remove the filter. Make sure to find the magnetic ring and clean all the junk off of it. Replace the filter, replace the pan gasket and reattach the pan. Not sure how much fluid you will need to replace but its probably something like 3 or 4 quarts. Realize that with an automatic you can only change 1/2 to 1/3 of the fluid because there may be another gallon of fluid sitting in your torque converter.
post Dec 18, 2013 - 9:52 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

I know there are quite a few topics regarding AT fluid change.
Everyone covered mostly everything. Dry Fill is 5.6 liters, drain and refill is 2.5 liters. Differential is 1.6 liters.

Honestly though, its not much work. Drain fluid, remove pan, drain more fluid. Replace filter, clean pan and re-install (additionally clean the magnets and put them back in their initial location). For the diff, its a bit more difficult due to location. But drain. Pop open fill plug (17mm IIRC), run tube from top of engine bay down to hole, fill.

Although Edy is correct in stating that your only going to change 1/3 to 1/2 of the fluid in total. There are various methods to "cycling" fluid through the pump line, but thats a bit more work.

But since Its still up and running A140E Auto Trans Manual

This post has been edited by Spider77: Dec 18, 2013 - 9:53 PM
post Dec 19, 2013 - 3:41 PM
+Quote Post
Terzin1

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 19, '05
From Indianapolis
Currently Offline

ARGG!! I'm getting such mixed advice on changing my fluid!

I called a few repair shops around Indianapolis and got mixed quotes and commentary. One shop wanted $300. The other $150. The third told me that he has been in business 40 years and wouldn't swap out the fluid on a vehicle over 150k miles because the dirt and buildup from the old fluid is 'part of the engine now'. Literally, he would not give me a quote nor do the swap. He said putting in new fluid would probably get me 15 miles down the road until the tranny failed. He stressed that the new fluid would unseat old dirt that has built up and thus wreck the system.

My car runs just fine, I was just hoping to do some regular maintenance. So... Should I have the tranny fluid changed, whether by my hands or not?

--------------------
WE DON'T PRINT UGLY.
www.TERZink.com
post Dec 19, 2013 - 4:20 PM
+Quote Post
Special_Edy

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 29, '11
From Haltom City, Texas
Currently Offline

When the transmission fails after a fluid and filter change its usually because the transmission was already failing and the owner tried to fix it by changing fluid. In Texas we call it closing the gate after the horse has already escaped. If your transmission is working fine then changing the fluid wont cause it to fail.
You may as well have sawdust holding your transmission together as old fluid and the metal shavings.

ATF will typically last 20,000 to 100,000 miles depending on its operating temperature. The hotter the fluid gets the quicker it breaks down, and below a certain temperature there is no breakdown. Some newer transmissions will never require a trans fluid change as its intended to last the life of the vehicle. The transmission fluid naturally fills up with metal from the clutches inside your transmission. Make sure to clean off the magnetic ring that's in your pan.

It will probably only cost $30 to $50 to do it yourself.

This post has been edited by Special_Edy: Dec 19, 2013 - 4:29 PM
post Dec 19, 2013 - 8:29 PM
+Quote Post
Terzin1

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 19, '05
From Indianapolis
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Special_Edy @ Dec 19, 2013 - 4:20 PM) *
It will probably only cost $30 to $50 to do it yourself.

Would it help at all if i drop the pan, let half of it out, replace with new fluid, and let the old and new mix? The idea being that the the mixture would be better for the system?

--------------------
WE DON'T PRINT UGLY.
www.TERZink.com
post Dec 19, 2013 - 9:55 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

When I got mine I had about 180K on it, I drained old fluids and put new stuff in. The old AT was a bit brownish, but still had that red-pink tint. Now im sitting at 240k. The only problem I had with the transmission was excessive backlash on the differential sun gear (and thats recent). Thats been my personal experience.
Its an easy job to do, and if you just do a drain and fill you'll still have old fluid in there, in case you really want that "dirt".
Now 300 for a drain and fill is way overpriced (I could kind of get 150 all inclusive). Then there is the other school of thought when it comes to high mileage AT's, that if it works leave it alone (given that the fluid has never been changed). I know guys on both sides of the fence.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 5:03 AM