> Another 3s swap problem, driver's side axle pops out
post Aug 17, 2005 - 4:40 PM
+Quote Post
celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

For reference, I have a 2nd gen 3sgte with 92 mr2 lsd tranny. I'm using st185/mr2 hybrid axles. I finally put my rear motor mount in yesterday and the motor is sitting very solid now. The problem is, now my driver's side axle keeps popping out, and I lose all the tranny fluid. I know a couple of you had problems with these axles breaking cv joints on this setup. I definetly think that this axle setup is too short now. I always noticed that the outer cv joint is very stretched on both sides. I was doing some research and found out that the mr2 wheel base is 94.5 inches and the 94 celica wheelbase is 99.9 inches. I think this is the problem. Before it wasn't a problem b/c the motor was shaking with the axles and it wouldn't pop out, now with it being solid, the axle can easily shift out of the tranny. Any of your thoughts are welcome.

And one more thing. Does anyone know how long an st205 axle is. The compressed and extended lengths?

This post has been edited by celica3sgte: Aug 17, 2005 - 4:48 PM
post Aug 17, 2005 - 4:59 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

not sure if this will help you or not, but the BGB says to use red locktite on the axel bolts and TQ them to spec.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Aug 17, 2005 - 5:37 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

QUOTE(lagos @ Aug 17, 2005 - 9:59 PM)
not sure if this will help you or not, but the BGB says to use red locktite on the axel bolts and TQ them to spec.
[right][snapback]325270[/snapback][/right]

Do the axles bolt in or are they the kind with the lock rings?

If its the kind with the lock rings maybe your rings are worn out and you need new ones, or they aren't locking.
post Aug 17, 2005 - 5:39 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Rjb23 @ Aug 17, 2005 - 5:37 PM)
QUOTE(lagos @ Aug 17, 2005 - 9:59 PM)
[right][snapback]325270[/snapback][/right]

Do the axles bolt in or are they the kind with the lock rings?

If its the kind with the lock rings maybe your rings are worn out and you need new ones, or they aren't locking.
[right][snapback]325284[/snapback][/right]

the mr2 turbo and alltac ones are the bolt in kind. the gt ones have those snaprings

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Aug 17, 2005 - 5:43 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

Yea my ST has the snap in kind too.

So if the bolts are in there there is no way they are gonna come out right? I mean if they are bolted into the tranny, then they have the nut on the end that holds them to the wheel hub The are not going anywhere unless the bolts come out or break.

BTW here is the wheel base for the st185
Wheelbase: 2525mm

Front track: 1475mm

Rear track: 1445mm

Don't know what that is in inches.
post Aug 17, 2005 - 6:57 PM
+Quote Post
Defgeph

Joined Apr 17, '03
From Rockland NY
Currently Offline

are you sure you're using the correct inners ?

DEF

--------------------

I will return one day.
post Aug 17, 2005 - 8:27 PM
+Quote Post
celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

The only thing that bolts in are the outside of the axle to the hub. They are both bolted well, and then have a codder pin on top of that. I'm using the innershafts that came with the tranny and they fit good, so I'm pretty sure they are correct, it's a perfect fit. . I took a pic of how much each cv joint is stretched and wish I would have seen this before.

The first pic is the driver's side which keeps popping out. This side has the snap ring on the part of the axle which goes into the tranny. So this thing isn't just sliding out, it's being forced out.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by celica3sgte: Aug 17, 2005 - 8:28 PM
post Aug 17, 2005 - 9:29 PM
+Quote Post
97lestyousay

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 7, '03
Currently Offline

:

This post has been edited by 97lestyousay: Apr 4, 2012 - 4:51 AM

--------------------
JDM guy made me do it.
post Aug 17, 2005 - 10:04 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

I would check the pop ring that holds the axles in, it may not be seating right.

What mounts are you using?
post Aug 18, 2005 - 4:54 AM
+Quote Post
celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

I'm using st isulators for front and rear that came with the car's crossmemberwith mr2 rear mount(bolted to tranny) and gt front mount. An mr2 driver's side mount and Gt passenger side mount. I'm pretty sure that this hybrid axle setup that everyone is using is about 3" short on the driver's side. Where as if it wasn't short it would have no problems b/c it wouldn't be stretched like you see in the picture.

This post has been edited by celica3sgte: Aug 18, 2005 - 4:58 AM
post Aug 18, 2005 - 1:04 PM
+Quote Post
celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

I just thought of something. The Mr2 tranny, v-6 camry tranny, and solara tranny all have the e153 tranny code, correct? The solara and camry both have a wheel base of 105 inches. Does anyone know what the inner shaft of these two vehicles looks like? Would the inner shaft fit into my mr2 tranny? B/c it would have to be longer than the mr2 inner shaft. Someone who owns a 99 solara is gonna catch me under their car today taking pictures and wonder what the hell i'm doing.
post Aug 18, 2005 - 5:31 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

I'm just wondering why your having problems with it and sphinx has the same set up but not the same problems.

Yeah they are all e153 trannies, the st185 tranny is also the e153 but it is e153p, different differential, the differentials may be different on the others too.

My mounts I have the st185 mounts all the way around and a custom mount for the front mount.
post Aug 18, 2005 - 7:31 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

Didn't you have the 91 camry v6 axle shafts and they were the same as the st185 ones?

Are you using the st185 hubs?
post Aug 18, 2005 - 7:43 PM
+Quote Post
ems3s

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 17, '05
From Melbourne, Australia
Currently Offline

Its got nothing to do with mounts, hubs or that type thing it. I've mentioned this before. The mr2 inner shafts come in many diffent configs. I had this same prob.

The circlip on the end can be various lenghts from the end. The rumour (not comfirmed 100%) that it can be 5mm or 12mm from the end. The circlip must not be sitting correctly.

If you can pop the shaft in and their is still a gap and it won't go any further than the clip is too close to the end of the shaft.

Try to find another shaft but if you can't you'll hace to cut a groove in it to put the circlip in the right spot like i had to do.

post Aug 18, 2005 - 7:49 PM
+Quote Post
ems3s

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 17, '05
Currently Offline

Rjb23 i don't understand how you could be using a st185 mounnt on the rear, it doesn't fit period.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, as i really curios how this is possible.
post Aug 18, 2005 - 7:50 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

QUOTE(ems3s @ Aug 19, 2005 - 12:43 AM)
Its got nothing to do with mounts, hubs or that type thing it. I've mentioned this before. The mr2 inner shafts come in many diffent configs. I had this same prob.

The circlip on the end can be various lenghts from the end. The rumour (not comfirmed 100%) that it can be 5mm or 12mm from the end.  The circlip must not be sitting correctly.

If you can pop the shaft in and their is still a gap and it won't go any further than the clip is too close to the end of the shaft.

Try to find another shaft but if you can't you'll hace to cut a groove in it to put the circlip in the right spot like i had to do.
[right][snapback]325684[/snapback][/right]

Did you get the same year axles as the tranny? Thats kind along the lines of what I was thinking earlier, but I thought maybe the clip was bad and not holding the axle in.

How long did it take you guys to get your mr2 axles, I had mine on order from autozone for 2 weeks canceled that (it was supposed to take 5 days) ordered them from advance auto monday and payed extra for 2nd day shipping and still nothing.

They are the only things I'm waiting on before I can drive the car.

3s did this happen while you were driving it or when you let it off of the jack?
post Aug 18, 2005 - 8:07 PM
+Quote Post
ems3s

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 17, '05
Currently Offline

It happened to me when i was just trying to trial fit the shafts.

I had a feeling it would happen as i was warned that there are many different shaft configs.

None of the wreckers in australia can confirm what size shaft or circlip location matches what year. In fact not even toyota were aware of the differnces.

Is the luck of the draw, with mr2 shafts. Maybe the mr2 gurus know but i'm tired of researching this matter, that's why i gave up and took the shaft to shop to modify.
post Aug 18, 2005 - 8:12 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

I may be doing that if mine don't fit right. I'm not waiting another month just for axles.
post Aug 18, 2005 - 8:16 PM
+Quote Post
ems3s

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 17, '05
Currently Offline

As long as the shaft diameter is right,the clip location can be modified.

I'm still curious as to how you used an st185 mount on the rear and crossmember if i read correctly.
post Aug 18, 2005 - 8:28 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

I used all st185 mounts and the cross member. I did a custom mount for the front one.

I put the crossmember in before the engine and it bolted right up.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 28th, 2024 - 2:24 PM