> 3sge head, 3sge head on 5sfe block?
post Dec 1, 2007 - 2:20 PM
+Quote Post
yaj204

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 29, '07
From california, marysville
Currently Offline

i heard its much more powerful than the 3sge itself, anyone think its worth the time and money?
post Dec 1, 2007 - 7:01 PM
+Quote Post
3WayStunna

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 25, '06
From Box Elder, South Dakota
Currently Offline

get an account on mr20c.com, and start by looking at this thread.....then follow the orignal poster, and all of his post on the site....lotsa info on 5sge heads....oh and yah, he has made lke 2 0r 3 of them, so they are very possible, and worth the time.... good lucks ^_^

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=206777

--------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
post Dec 3, 2007 - 8:36 PM
+Quote Post
Kwanza26

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 27, '03
From Nor Cal
Currently Offline

Personally... I've yet to hear about anyone doing a successful 5SGE n/a build. Granted it's great for a turbo set-up... but n/a... I don't think it's worth it.

--------------------
"It's ok to be naked girl... I'm an artist!"

1995 AT200 Celica ST: stocked out daily driver...

1984 AE86 Corolla GT-SR5: silvertop 20V 4AGE project car jacked up with goodies...

1991 SW2x MR2 n/a: bare bones hardtop model soon to be...
post Feb 17, 2008 - 2:25 AM
+Quote Post
my96celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 15, '07
From High ridge MO
Currently Offline

This is off another celica website hope it helps. So in your opinion how much time/money would it be to do this conversion on an existing 5SFE? exactly what parts do you need?

Well, the problem with doing this with a car that already has a 5SFE is that you would have to change the whole top end. You would need the 3SGE head, 3SGE intake and exhaust manifolds, 3SGE electronics (injectors, VSV's, etc.), 3SGE wiring harness and 3SGE ECU. It's still entirely possible to do though. If you have access to a donor car, here's what I would do....

DONOR CAR
-Disconnect the wiring harness from the ECU.
-Remove ECU
-Unbolt the boot for the firewall pass-through and pull the harness into the engine compartment.
-Disconnect the harness from anything that is staying in the car
-Remove the timing belt
-Remove the valve covers
-Remove the head with the intake, exhaust, and wiring still attached

YOUR CAR
-Repeat the above procedure with your car, then install the parts from the donor 3SGE car.
-You will need a good wiring diagram for both cars showing the pin placement for the ECU plugs, then you'll need to make sure all the wires are in the right places for the ECU wiring that DOES NOT go to the motor, ie. dash lights, guages, etc.
-Work out the bugs!
It will definately be alot more work and time consuming than what I did, and I'm not sure how much better a 5S"GE" would be than a 5SFE...
post Feb 17, 2008 - 8:41 AM
+Quote Post
nightryder

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 29, '05
From Rochester, Massachusetts
Currently Offline

yeah basically from what Ive been told, you are practically doing a 3s swap and leaving your bottom end.

worth it? up to you. I was going to give it a shot but money was an issue, maybe next time lol tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 11th, 2024 - 3:18 AM