--------------------
post Feb 5, 2009 - 2:31 PM
+Quote Post
jimmykay

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 14, '08
From St. Louis
Currently Offline

I'll try and answer you as best I can off of memory.
For those of you that have this, take a very close look at your hood when you close it, and when it's fully closed. There's two crush point on the bracing of the underside of the hood along the outer edges, and these are very noticable flex points too (my body guy and I were going over this as we decided what to do with my car). If you shut your hood from the forward edge (like anyone normally would), take a close look and see if you're flexing at the mid point of the hood where those crumple points are.
the only flex point I can remember seeing is right at the end of the hinge. Instead of resting most of the weight on the prop rod, it now has all of the weight on the hinges.

Second question I have is how much tension is on the hood when it's closed? Reason I ask is because those points could weaken over time causing the hood to bulge up if there is too much closed pressure on those struts.
upon closing, the dampers close with little added force. and actually, when you have almost closed the hood, the line of action on the damper crosses the hinge point. this takes all of the weight off of the hood and if anything, it applies a small amount of downforce on the hood, effectively holding it closed. I have noticed that when I pop my hood, it only pops up about 1/4" instead of the 3/4" - 1" that it used to pop up.

--------------------
'99 Celica GT - Sold
'11 Mazdaspeed3
post Feb 7, 2009 - 7:37 PM
+Quote Post
djseven

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '07
From Holland
Currently Offline

does any1 knows if theres any difference on the hood between a 94 and 96 model? cus that ebaystore says it wont fit my 94 celi!
post Mar 3, 2011 - 6:44 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

Hate to bring this back up, but my bracket tends to pivot when opening and closing. It does this because unlike other brackets for cars there is not piece on the bracket that grabs on anything besides a bolt that holds it down and pivots around. It would make sense if it held on both bolts. How did others do theirs without the pivot motion and scratching the paint as the strut changes position?

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
|Work|Greddy|Samco|Project Mu|H&R|Gates|Moog|Rota|Yokohama|Epman|1320|Upgr8
04 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tein|BC Racing|Greddy|

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Mar 4, 2011 - 12:48 AM
+Quote Post
chacha

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 29, '05
From So-Cal
Currently Offline

picture please...
post Mar 4, 2011 - 10:56 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

its just where the bolt is at, the struts are very strong, this means a little bolt won't be able to hold this bracket in place, the bracket is in the mercy of the stronger strut.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
|Work|Greddy|Samco|Project Mu|H&R|Gates|Moog|Rota|Yokohama|Epman|1320|Upgr8
04 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tein|BC Racing|Greddy|

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Mar 5, 2011 - 1:43 AM
+Quote Post
azn87

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '06
From bay area
Currently Offline

can u take a picture and show what u mean
post Mar 22, 2011 - 1:42 AM
+Quote Post
ZGear

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 16, '07
From BP, MN
Currently Offline

QUOTE (trdproven @ Mar 4, 2011 - 7:56 PM) *
its just where the bolt is at, the struts are very strong, this means a little bolt won't be able to hold this bracket in place, the bracket is in the mercy of the stronger strut.

If you're talking about the bracket attached to the hood, I angled it towards the windshield and gunned it tight. You will have to experiment with it to see how it closes and not rub on the fender liner. Otherwise another wise, but long solution would be to file the rough edge round.

--------------------

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 13th, 2024 - 2:21 PM