> GT4 Climate control question
post Aug 12, 2014 - 7:48 PM
+Quote Post
Noahwhite2014

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 1, '14
From Hawaii
Currently Offline

can the climate control in the gt4 swap with a 1994 st or gt climate control with no modifications? I'm not sure what's behind the gt4 CC since I have never even seen a gt4 in person.

I'm guessing no though since they look very different frown.gif

post Aug 12, 2014 - 10:11 PM
+Quote Post
1994Celica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 5, '09
From West Texas, USA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Noahwhite2014 @ Aug 12, 2014 - 7:48 PM) *
can the climate control in the gt4 swap with a 1994 st or gt climate control with no modifications? I'm not sure what's behind the gt4 CC since I have never even seen a gt4 in person.

I'm guessing no though since they look very different frown.gif

It's been done but if I remember correctly its pain in the ass to do. Yeah he's a quote from a thread on it with all the stuff you need.
QUOTE (BloodyStupidDavey @ Jul 22, 2007 - 4:04 PM) *
QUOTE (soven @ Jul 22, 2007 - 8:25 PM) *
ah sorry, thought you meant the other way round.

Good luck. I had a brief look behind the aircon units of both of the types and they looked pretty different. Will probably open them up again this weekend and see whats the difference if you have not found your answer by then.

They are very different. To do the swap you'll need:

* an extra engine bay sensor
* JDM climate control compressor (pump) in the engine bay. It is different to the US/UK one.
* replace the temperature sensor inside the aircon heat exchanger (the middle box behind the glove box)
* a different aircon resistor pack
* an aircon power transistor (not fitted for aircon)
* a light sensor (goes into the top of the dashboard)
* a cabin temperature sensor (goes under the steering wheel)
* an air tube that goes between the cabin air sensor and near the drivers' foot rest
* two short aircon wiring looms
* cabin wiring loom from a donor car with climate control
* different aircon amplifier module
* an extra relay (climate control high speed relay)
* an air vent mode solenoid from donor car (they are different)
* a temperature mix solenoid from donor car (solenoid not fitted in aircon)
* temperature mix actuator cable from donor car (they are different)
* climate control (the unit with switches on that goes in the center console
* climate control ECU (not fitted in aircon, sits on top of the main ECU)

You'll need to completely unplug the cabin wiring loom then remove the arm rest, lower centre console, steering wheel, dashboard. You'll then need to combine your old loom with the donor loom; change over the aircon heat exchanger temperature sensor; run wires to the engine bay sensor; diagnostics connector and compressor; and install the remaining two cabin sensors. Install all the remaining bits, attach the cabin wiring loom to the dashboard again and put everything back together.

In short, the work involved is probably a little short of an engine swap. It isn't really worth the effort involved unless you like a challenge or really really want climate control.

This post has been edited by 1994Celica: Aug 12, 2014 - 10:18 PM

--------------------
JDM Part King

post Aug 13, 2014 - 12:33 AM
+Quote Post
Noahwhite2014

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 1, '14
From Hawaii
Currently Offline

QUOTE (1994Celica @ Aug 12, 2014 - 10:11 PM) *
In short, the work involved is probably a little short of an engine swap. It isn't really worth the effort involved unless you like a challenge or really really want climate control.

Exactly what I thought, damn... Off to the wreckers to find a good condition climate control when I can afford it. My faceplate (the temperature knob background) has come off and the back of (the black part) is peeling.

Thanks for the info biggrin.gif

I plan to add an ambient light sensor to turn on my DRL when it's dark enough just to update the car a bit smile.gif

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 10th, 2024 - 10:56 PM