> 7afe valves
post Jul 15, 2020 - 2:51 PM
+Quote Post
Livewire

Enthusiast

Joined May 17, '19
From Alaska
Currently Offline

So I have a question for you guys. I got the head pulled off and got it prepped for the new head gasket biggrin.gif but while I was carrying it over to the bench I tripped on a jumper cable and fell on my seat head landed in my lap safe and sound, but 6 of the valve buckets and shims fell out and onto the ground. I don’t have any gauges small enough to check the clearances, so what would be my best course of action to make sure I get the right bucket on the right valves? In addition, when looking at the underside of the head I found not one but two exhaust valves with a deep burnt edge (looks like someone took a nibble). I checked the seats and they’ll be perfect after they get lapped, seems like the oil burning made a protective layer around the seat and when the edge of the valve broke/burnt it didn’t cause any damage. Whew. Anyways, background out of the way, should I just order a full set of valves to be safe or can I get by buying a pair of dnj exhaust valves to replace them and be okay? Funds are getting a little low until I can start driving again, so I’d really like to spend as little money I can here after everything else I’ve bought to get it running, and the other exhaust valves look fine. I own all the tools I’ve needed so far, so getting in there later wouldn’t be the biggest deal in the world and I could potentially make it more worth with a copper head gasket at that time. Any insight would be appreciated!
post Jul 15, 2020 - 6:35 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

There's no way to match up the shims other than with feeler gauges and with new valves and lapping the others down some you might need a new set of shims anyway. Don't forget you might need to get the tips of the stems ground on the new valves to be the right length too.

This post has been edited by Bitter: Jul 15, 2020 - 6:35 PM

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 7th, 2024 - 7:36 PM