> Dual Motors?, Would this be possible?
post Aug 25, 2003 - 8:46 PM
+Quote Post
Andason

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 26, '03
From Wisconsin
Currently Offline

Would it be possible to put in Two 3sgte motors into the Celica? Use the MR2 Rear stuff and the Celica front stuff? I'm planning on having the car for a while and just wondering if this would be slightly possible. I know that with money you can do anything, but I'm looking on the side of very very slightly pratical. At least I would be near positive I would be the only one(maybe two or three) with this done. What would need to be done? I am not aware of how to add a rear motor and how to combine the two motors to work together.

--------------------
i am awesome
post Aug 25, 2003 - 8:57 PM
+Quote Post
TunerHawk

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 26, '03
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

It would be very hard to tune this application. If done, you would probably want the front engine to run the front driveshaft and the rear engine to run the rear driveshaft. I have done this setup, not in my celica, but in my dads Fiero. The hard part would be fitting the back end with all the motor mounts and fabricating enough space for an engine and radiator support. If you want to do this, you would be looking at more then 200 hours of labor and fabricating. Basically by the time you got the rear to a point where it could fit something like another 3sgte, it would no longer look like a Celica. Your weight ratio would be completely off. Plus you would have to sychnonize the driveshafts on the same rotation. This CAN be done, but not practically. I say if you really want to go for it, but u run the risk of totally destroying your car and everything associated with it. But I am all for pushing the limits.
post Aug 25, 2003 - 10:49 PM
+Quote Post
GeEkBoY

Enthusiast
Joined May 17, '03
From Ontario, Canada
Currently Offline

I read this afticle a while back on Motortrend:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=3563

anything is possible, but that is a lot of work. why not put a front enging in an mr2 instead, that would not be nearly as difficult. put a GT4 front clip on a second gen MR2 and call it frankentoyota. (someone should photoshop that biggrin.gif )
post Aug 26, 2003 - 1:05 AM
+Quote Post
XE_Nathaniel

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 14, '03
From Long Beach, CA
Currently Offline

Yes, it is possible.

-Nate biggrin.gif
post Aug 26, 2003 - 1:26 AM
+Quote Post
boosted_K2

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 30, '02
From Michigan
Currently Offline

QUOTE (GeEkBoY @ Aug 25, 2003 - 10:49 PM)
I read this afticle a while back on Motortrend:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=3563

anything is possible, but that is a lot of work. why not put a front enging in an mr2 instead, that would not be nearly as difficult. put a GT4 front clip on a second gen MR2 and call it frankentoyota. (someone should photoshop that biggrin.gif )

you couldnt fit a motor in the front end of a mr2 unless you have 1/2 the motor sticking out the hood, the reason it would work is the fiero has more trunk space in the front.

--------------------
IPB Image
Believer, you'll leave her, in leaving them all
No but I don't buy it
Like anything you do, as anyone you are
Cause I'm...
Ten Speed, of God's Blood & Burial
post Aug 26, 2003 - 7:35 AM
+Quote Post
GeEkBoY

Enthusiast
Joined May 17, '03
From Ontario, Canada
Currently Offline

what I meant was to chop the front of the mr2 off and weld on the front of a GT4. I know its crazy but so is 2 engines.
post Aug 26, 2003 - 9:38 AM
+Quote Post
celicakid84

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From New Jersey
Currently Offline

a while ago in Sport Compact Car's Ultimate street car challenge they had a Hyundai tiburon w/ 2 motors one up front and one in the back. They both were boosted and each had its own automatic transmission. It made 627 WHP, ran the quarter mile in 10.96 seconds and 0-60 in 3.33 and in these 3 tests it beat out a nissan skyline GT-R, a twin turbo 300zx, a twin turbo BPU Supra, a supercharged and built Mustang, a Ferrari F360, and a supercharged integra type R. It was pretty freaking cool.
post Aug 26, 2003 - 10:32 AM
+Quote Post
kuya1284

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 15, '02
From Corona & Vallejo, CA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (celicakid84 @ Aug 26, 2003 - 7:38 AM)
a while ago in Sport Compact Car's Ultimate street car challenge they had a Hyundai tiburon w/ 2 motors one up front and one in the back. They both were boosted and each had its own automatic transmission. It made 627 WHP, ran the quarter mile in 10.96 seconds and 0-60 in 3.33 and in these 3 tests it beat out a nissan skyline GT-R, a twin turbo 300zx, a twin turbo BPU Supra, a supercharged and built Mustang, a Ferrari F360, and a supercharged integra type R. It was pretty freaking cool.

See... now why would you even want to do something like this? 627 with 2 motors? That's attainable even with just one motor.
post Aug 26, 2003 - 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
ghostdog

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From ny to philly
Currently Offline

how about that Audi TT that they had on Super2nrTV a while back. one front one back, seemed rediculously fast, must of been running 10s atleast.
post Aug 26, 2003 - 11:17 AM
+Quote Post
95ST

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 1, '03
From CT
Currently Offline

QUOTE (kuya1284 @ Aug 26, 2003 - 8:32 AM)
QUOTE (celicakid84 @ Aug 26, 2003 - 7:38 AM)
a while ago in Sport Compact Car's Ultimate street car challenge they had a Hyundai tiburon w/ 2 motors one up front and one in the back.  They both were boosted and each had its own automatic transmission.  It made 627 WHP, ran the quarter mile in 10.96 seconds and 0-60 in 3.33 and in these 3 tests it beat out a nissan skyline GT-R, a twin turbo 300zx, a twin turbo BPU Supra, a supercharged and built Mustang, a Ferrari F360, and a supercharged integra type R.  It was pretty freaking cool.

See... now why would you even want to do something like this? 627 with 2 motors? That's attainable even with just one motor.

its about the novelty of having 2 motors smile.gif Id imagine the only performance advantage of 2 instead of 1 is that you dont have to run a big turbo to get 600+ hp so you will get more low range power. That being said we wont even get into the negitive aspects, such as weight, tuning...
post Aug 26, 2003 - 12:13 PM
+Quote Post
97GTinKC

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From KC
Currently Offline

Well, the tractor pull guys run multiple motors all the time, as far as a car you want to actually drive, I dont think its something I'd waste time and money on. Too difficult to get things syncronized to make it driveable.
If you just want 8 cylinders, build something like a factoryfive kit car. You can have a really fast car that you can drive every day for around 15-20k if you do all the work yourself. (and you wont need all the fabrication equipment and skills)

Factoryfive

Always remember, there are 2 ways to go faster, 1= more horsepower 2=less weight. Factoryfive starts with the 2nd method, then you can add to it with more horsepower,,,I've always been a fan of the 2nd method...

My buggy

This was my buggy, sold it in March after 21 years,,,

This post has been edited by 97GTinKC: Aug 26, 2003 - 12:23 PM
post Aug 26, 2003 - 10:42 PM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

Last week on some car channel on TV they had a 2 engine Audi TT.

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 6th, 2024 - 11:38 PM