> Transmission problem.
post May 26, 2017 - 3:45 PM
+Quote Post
brandon702bmx

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 24, '17
From Las Vegas
Currently Offline

Wow seems I can't win. So I recently engine swapped my Celica for a younger 5S. Filled the trans with 75W-90 synthetic gear oil (manual trans) I filled it up to the fill hole until it started spilling out. I let it spill out until it stopped and plugged it. I was driving it the other day and out of no where, I can not shift the car into 1st or 2nd what so ever. I was driving and I noticed something that sounded like bolts falling out of the car. So I pulled off and took a quick look... nothing. Drove the car to take it home. Hazards and right hand lane. Stopped at a stop light. Could not get the car into 1st or 2nd gear. So I had to start out in 3rd to get it home. I can get the car into 3rd, 4th, 5th, and R but I can not get it into 1st or 2nd. Even with the engine off. It also spewed all of the trans fluid out of who knows where. This is so irritating because I'm unsure of where I ****ed up... Is my trans shot? If so, is it repairable? Where can a get an affordable trans and why did this happen if it is something really destroyed... forgive me as I am newer to cars... I'm not completely ignorant but I'd say amateur. I could use some help.
post May 26, 2017 - 5:48 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

If you can't get it into first or second and the shift cables aren't binding then it sounds like the 1/2 gear tree is fubared, could be a detente spring has collapsed that or running low on gear oil something has warped or sludged up. Probably lost the gear oil out of a CV output seal. If you need another trans your best bet will probably be a junkyard or someone parting their car out, but you might be lucky and your transmission could be fixed but it'll take someone that knows their way around a manual gearbox.

OHHHHH very similar situation happened on my brother's Maxima, I bet you removed a bolt that holds in the detente spring and ball instead of the drain plug when you changed the gear oil.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 26, 2017 - 7:00 PM
+Quote Post
brandon702bmx

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 24, '17
From Las Vegas
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ May 26, 2017 - 6:48 PM) *
If you can't get it into first or second and the shift cables aren't binding then it sounds like the 1/2 gear tree is fubared, could be a detente spring has collapsed that or running low on gear oil something has warped or sludged up. Probably lost the gear oil out of a CV output seal. If you need another trans your best bet will probably be a junkyard or someone parting their car out, but you might be lucky and your transmission could be fixed but it'll take someone that knows their way around a manual gearbox.

OHHHHH very similar situation happened on my brother's Maxima, I bet you removed a bolt that holds in the detente spring and ball instead of the drain plug when you changed the gear oil.

Where would this be located at? My partner removed something from the top view of the trans... put it back on though. I'm not sure what it was though.
post May 26, 2017 - 7:02 PM
+Quote Post
brandon702bmx

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 24, '17
From Las Vegas
Currently Offline

I topped off trans fluid and it didn't leak until after I brought it home in the drive way. I started it a few hours later rolled it down my drive way in reverse and tried to put it into 1st. Wouldn't work... After I did all that, the fluid just spewed right on out and seals were replaced where the axles input...
post May 26, 2017 - 7:12 PM
+Quote Post
brandon702bmx

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 24, '17
From Las Vegas
Currently Offline

I never ran it low on gear oil. I drained it when I did the swap to remove it and I bought 3 qts of 75W-90 Syn manual gearbox oil and topped it up to the drain plug and the drain plug in my definition is the one that looks the same as the fill plug. The giant flat headed bolts. There's only 2 of them. My partner was the one who filled the trans and drained it. I'm at complete loss here...
post May 26, 2017 - 11:16 PM
+Quote Post
DST94

Enthusiast
Joined May 11, '09
From California
Currently Offline

Huek Huek Huek.

Sounds like me!

Grab a light and look on the transmisson where the shift linkage is held in by the fancy clips and codder pins.... $5 says one of them doesn't look like the other. Report back with findings!

--------------------
post May 27, 2017 - 1:26 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Ah ok, it sounded like it had lost the oil during driving. As far as new CV seals go new ones can leak, helps if you pre-soak them overnight before installing. That being the case I'd double check the shift cables first, and here's a picture of the drain and fill plugs for the S54:

If only those two bolts were removed you should be ok in that regard, and then I'd lean towards the shift cables being the culprit.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 6, 2017 - 12:59 PM
+Quote Post
brandon702bmx

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 24, '17
From Las Vegas
Currently Offline

Such a ridiculous fix. It was one of the C clips that wasn't properly fastened and popped out of place... I feel like such an idiot. And as for the passenger CV axle, the bearing for the mount to support it blew out and so it was freely moving around and slipped out of the transmission. Ended up stealing another C clip from a yard. Had to buy a new passenger CV axle and press the mount onto the new bearing. I was tend to look for the worse, so I wasn't set onto the small stuff. Thanks though guys.
post Jun 6, 2017 - 2:38 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

It's always nice when you think it's a huge problem and it turns out to be small. better than the other way around right?! smile.gif

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 9th, 2024 - 1:17 AM