> 3gste swap
post Feb 26, 2012 - 12:11 AM
+Quote Post
Tweekee

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 25, '12
From washington
Currently Offline

I have had my Celica for the past 12 years, She has been a good girl - I have alot of respect for this car - 1.8 basic 5 speed.

I will be picking up a 95 GT shell that is someones project car - with a 4th gen 3gste and a Camry V6 Tranny

Where are some good places to look for "How To's"?

What are the parts needed?

Are there things that I should check on this new engine before the swap? (40k miles)

I dont want this to be loud or out of the ordinary (no rice burner noises) & I want to keep the stock look.

Are there things that I should be taking from the GT shell before it gets scrapped? above and beyond the struts & brakes.

Am I getting in over my head? ... I will be having help from my boyfriend who has done motor swaps before with his Honda's and Isuzu.

Im Concerned about ruining a great car - should I be?

Was 2k to much to pay for the engine, GT Tranny( and v6 Camry), both ECU's, wireing harness, Shell, carbon fiber hood and boxes of extra misc. items

Are there any high $$$ items that I should be on the look out for needed for this swap?

Start new topic
Replies
post Feb 28, 2012 - 12:47 AM
+Quote Post
Tweekee

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 25, '12
From washington
Currently Offline

Thank for the help guys. I am Tweakee BF and lets just say I fully support the swap woot.gif . I love the sight and will help me out alot when it becomes time to get project going.

I have a few questions.

This weekend is when we get the goods. It was hard to tell what all we where getting because the previous owner had things in boxes everywhere.

Some things I know we are getting.

Gt shell which is strip clean for the most part. I will be taking all the goods that are left on before Cutting it up for scraping it.
Gt tranny, and the other he says is a Camry v6 tranny. I think we only have the gt sifter cables and axles, none for the Camry tranny

So a few questions I know to use the Camry tranny we will to get gt4 cables. and rear mount Where is a good source on the cables and mount. ? What about the axles. I searched and I know I read it before but can't seem to find what axles I will need? Ones from a Camry for do I have to custom make some?
Also does the Camry tranny have a lsd? Is one recommend, If So what are some affordable options? What clutch would be best. I have both flywheels.
Will

I know it has a after market and the stock engine mounted intercooler. I will most likely use the after market.

I know the 4th gen takes some wiring work. I believe he has started it but I am not sure how far he made it. I will want to complete the wiring before beging the swap. Where is a good source of what needed.

I see lots of info on the 3rd gen but not as much on the 4th gen
I will want to replace the timing belt, water pump and gaskets before doing the swap. any thing you guys may want to add?

I know the previous owner just put new ball joints and tie rod in the GT along with brakes. Are the front brakes the same as in the st? I was thinking of swapping out the suspensions. I know he has new struts. and some coil overs.

anything else I should upgrade on the car prior to the swap? I plan up upgrading the exhaust. We don't want any raspy sounds and as quit as possible. She wants to maintain the stock look for the most part. Any recommendations there? We will have to use a cat and do emissions.

IS the the 4 gen 3sgte brain OBDII I would assume so. I think they just plug in the and check for codes when it comes to emissions time in WA.

Is there anything else that I shoud prepare for? I would like to limit the down time because she will be using my car during the swap and I will be stuck drivng the old 80's ford diesel kindasad.gif

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 13th, 2024 - 12:14 AM