> Dangers of Running Rich, 3sgte owners
post Sep 29, 2004 - 11:02 AM
+Quote Post
jgreening

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '04
From Illinois
Currently Offline

Well, ten days into ownership of the 3sgte and I can safely confirm what everyone else has said over and over....these engines run very rich. I have read many posts about this and about the fact that Toyota made it this way to avoid lean conditions. However, I would imagine that running an overly rich condition cannot be good for the engine over time either. I am wondering whether for engine longevity and reliability purposes, us 3sgte owners should take action either through an S-AFC or stand alone to lean out the A/F ratio. Obviously, we can see some horsepower gains from doing so but I am particularly interested in responses dealing with engine life.

--------------------
QUOTE(lagos @ Jul 10, 2006 - 1:55 PM) [snapback]454118[/snapback]

i know your trying to do the right thing for your motor, but this is one of those times where you should just trust the guys who have had their swaps for a while and have done a ton of research into this.
post Sep 29, 2004 - 11:05 AM
+Quote Post
Jdog1385

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 14, '03
From Long Island, N.Y.
Currently Offline

you should try to lean it out a bit. nothing crazy b/c you'll definitely run into problems. you don't want to start replacing parts.
post Sep 29, 2004 - 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

my theory is that the swap runs richer then a normal alltrac. it may have somethign to do with the fact that we are running supra fuel pumps with no fpr. the fuel pump resistor pack isint pluged in either (what the hell is it for anyway).

i was driving behind DG and saw nothing but constant black smoke. i doubt an alltrac would do that with just a 3in exhaust

This post has been edited by lagos: Sep 29, 2004 - 11:08 AM

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Sep 29, 2004 - 11:12 AM
+Quote Post
jgreening

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '04
From Illinois
Currently Offline

Lagos, I am still running the 5sfe pump. Jayson claims it will be fine up to 18 p.s.i. Even with the 5s pump, the mixture is way rich. Anyway, the pump only supplies what is demanded from the ECU so, in general, the pump shouldn't act to cause rich conditions even if it is way overkill.

Also, there is a very interesting thread over on mr2oc.com that suggests you should never upgrade to a supra pump unless you upgrade the fuel rail. It was started by Wolfkatz (sp?) and has a lot of testing to back up his claims - although I must admit, I couldn't follow much of the fluids engineering hyper talk. Also, its quite possible that the conclusions only refer to conditions above the horsepower levels we find ourselves at - so far.

This post has been edited by jgreening: Sep 29, 2004 - 11:13 AM

--------------------

i know your trying to do the right thing for your motor, but this is one of those times where you should just trust the guys who have had their swaps for a while and have done a ton of research into this.
post Sep 29, 2004 - 11:22 AM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

Keep in mind they have 3sgte fuel pumps that are rated into the 300whp range and we're stuck with the 100whp pumps, thats why he says that. I go the Walbro to put in so that the 5s pump would not fail because its being asked to constantly pump more fuel than it ever did before, this IMO will cause wear faster. Its not meant for these conditions.

Running very rich may cause some cat problems, but if u dont have any then dont worry about that. Its better to be rich than lean, but I think a good tune will do the car well.

--------------------
post Sep 29, 2004 - 11:25 AM
+Quote Post
jgreening

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '04
From Illinois
Currently Offline

Keep in mind they have 3sgte fuel pumps that are rated into the 300whp range and we're stuck with the 100whp pumps

Good point. I wonder why people do not use the MR2T or alltrac pump for swaps?

--------------------

post Sep 29, 2004 - 11:27 AM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

I figure because they are a different generation. The 5th Gen Celica and MKII's MAY have a different pump setup, its worth looking into. I did some reseach and found the Supra pump would fit with not much fuss so I just got that one, gives me room to breath when I put in the 550cc's and upgraded TC.

--------------------
post Sep 29, 2004 - 11:46 AM
+Quote Post
jgreening

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '04
From Illinois
Currently Offline

Whats a TC? Also, are you going to do any engine management when you upgrade Super?

--------------------

post Sep 29, 2004 - 12:12 PM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

tc - turbocharger, my bad I start shortening things. Well I am strongly considering the ATS "CT27" upgrade, I'm looking for around 300hp at the crank and this seems like a good option over a used CT20b, which still is something i'm considering. ATS offers a package deal which includes thermostat and fuel pressure regulator and also a ROM tune. Where you send them ur ecu and they tweak it a little bit. If I do that, I'll have them tune the ecu for 93 octane and 550cc injectors. I figure that with a new fuel rail, water injection, (maybe a FMIC dont kno yet. The W/I will help with detonation so the FMIC may not be necessary), a downpipe (2.5 or 3 havent decided), and midpipe it should get me there. That should be good for low 13's if not 12's along with the CM S4 & LSD.

This post has been edited by Supersprynt: Sep 29, 2004 - 12:13 PM

--------------------
post Sep 29, 2004 - 12:17 PM
+Quote Post
97sccelica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 30, '02
From Anaheim, CA
Currently Offline

it fouls o2 sensors sooner(only if very very very rich)

but other than that, dont worry about it, unless its so rich that it bogs nearly to the point where the engine stalls

the JDM swaps probably run richer due to the fact that they are programmed for much higher octane, on the 91-93 octane we have here, the ecu sees some knock and probably dumps in more fuel.

--------------------
1994 Celica GT4 WRC Edition
@gt4.wrc on Instagram
post Sep 29, 2004 - 12:22 PM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

ECU's dont dump more fuel they retard timing. And the 93 octane here is like 97 in Japan. On top of that, Japan uses RON (highest) gas ratings. Europe uses MON (lowest), we use PON (the avg of the 2). So in actuality, its the same gas, just different numbers. Quality controls differ however, depending on the country.

This post has been edited by Supersprynt: Sep 29, 2004 - 12:27 PM

--------------------
post Sep 29, 2004 - 12:38 PM
+Quote Post
shid

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 8, '04
From LA
Currently Offline

I think the issue about fuel pumps might be something akin to the issue behind hard drives.

You can always buy a bigger hard drive; but the bigger the hard drive you buy, the larger the "smallest" file becomes. IE, on a 60 MB hard drive, u could have files that were sized at only 200 bytes; but if you're hard drive is 60 GB, your smallest file size is now 800k (I forget what the exact numbers are, but the principal should be aptly demonstrated).

This is because hard drives, no matter how large, have a set number of sectors. So, 60 MB divided by 500,000,000 sectors; or 60 GB divided by 500,000,000 sectors.. The one with the 60 GB will have larger sectors; and since a file cannot take up less than one sector, it has to take up a full 800k.

Maybe fuel pumps are the same thing; and can only be divided into so many increments based on the delivery system.

Like, the stock 5fse fuel pump is small, and so 50% of that pump is delivering for 50whp; (or something, I might just be acting crazy), and 49% is 49 whp. But with a Supra fuel pump rated at 500 whp; 50 percent is 250whp, while 49 percent is 245 whp.

Then, instead of risking running lean, the ECU rounds up, and has the pump deliver more fuel in the next incriment it can go.

What do you guys think? Talking out of my ass? No sense?
post Sep 29, 2004 - 2:17 PM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

No, that doesnt make any sense at all, LOL sorry I tried but I cant make a darn thing outta that.

Your pump doesnt divide anything up, its a pump. Its function is to pump fuel, thats it. Your ecu, using sensor like the AFM, O2 sensor, boost sensor etc..determines the a/f ratio. The pump only knows pump, pump more, pump less.

The reason for upgrading a pump is because at some point the pump becomes a bottleneck. Whereas, it physically cant pump the amount of fuel the engine demands, thats when your in danger of burning your cylinders and detonation.

--------------------
post Sep 29, 2004 - 5:04 PM
+Quote Post
Kwanza26

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 27, '03
From Nor Cal
Currently Offline

Running a bit rich doesn't hurt the engine. It'll eat away at your cat (if you have one) and your O2... but it's a LOT safer than running a bit lean. Running rich has little to do with the fuel pump, although running lean does. It's more than likely the ECU, AFM, TPS, O2, or something between those sensors.

--------------------
"It's ok to be naked girl... I'm an artist!"

1995 AT200 Celica ST: stocked out daily driver...

1984 AE86 Corolla GT-SR5: silvertop 20V 4AGE project car jacked up with goodies...

1991 SW2x MR2 n/a: bare bones hardtop model soon to be...
post Sep 29, 2004 - 8:34 PM
+Quote Post
shid

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 8, '04
From LA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Sep 29, 2004 - 7:17 PM)
No, that doesnt make any sense at all, LOL sorry I tried but I cant make a darn thing outta that.

Your pump doesnt divide anything up, its a pump. Its function is to pump fuel, thats it. Your ecu, using sensor like the AFM, O2 sensor, boost sensor etc..determines the a/f ratio. The pump only knows pump, pump more, pump less.

The reason for upgrading a pump is because at some point the pump becomes a bottleneck. Whereas, it physically cant pump the amount of fuel the engine demands, thats when your in danger of burning your cylinders and detonation.

ECU tells fuel pump to pump at 50%
ECU tells fuel pump to pump at 49%.

On the 5sfe 100whp pump, thats not a big difference, but on the Supra pump, it's a difference.

I'm asking if thats a possible issue, as every pump will only be able to discern "pumping more" and "pumping less" to a signifigant figure; 1 decimal place of accuracy, 2.. etc etc
post Sep 29, 2004 - 9:07 PM
+Quote Post
Doge

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 2, '02
From Portland, Oregon
Currently Offline

QUOTE (jgreening @ Sep 29, 2004 - 9:12 AM)
Lagos, I am still running the 5sfe pump. Jayson claims it will be fine up to 18 p.s.i. Even with the 5s pump, the mixture is way rich. Anyway, the pump only supplies what is demanded from the ECU so, in general, the pump shouldn't act to cause rich conditions even if it is way overkill.

Also, there is a very interesting thread over on mr2oc.com that suggests you should never upgrade to a supra pump unless you upgrade the fuel rail. It was started by Wolfkatz (sp?) and has a lot of testing to back up his claims - although I must admit, I couldn't follow much of the fluids engineering hyper talk. Also, its quite possible that the conclusions only refer to conditions above the horsepower levels we find ourselves at - so far.

Running the N/A pump is dangerous. You're seriously just playing with fire... our pumps can pump enough fuel for the 3s.. but its RIGHT on the line. Any more power and its going to cause alot of problems. And if your pump is however many years old... its going to decrease in efficiency. I wouldn't risk it JGreening, you should get a pump asap. Here's the proof. Read the whole thing... you'll be glad you did!

N/A Fuel Pump BAD!
Turbo Fuel Pump GOOD!

The walbro fuel pump is $80 and is a piece of cake to install.. its just worth it knowing your engine will get all the fuel it needs.

And that test about the fuel pump that you talked about on mr2oc... that was a test on 550 injectors on the stock fuel rail. Having a upgraded fuel pump will do no harm to our engines... we are pretty much putting in a fuel pump that is pretty close to the alltrac ones that the engine was meant to run with.

also on the fuel pump resistor... all it does is, at idle it kicks downt the amps that is allowed to the pump... making it work less (basically turning it down) at anything above idle it kicks it back up to full power. Fuel pumps are either on full blast or off... there is no in between, unless you have a resistor... which isnt necessary
post Sep 29, 2004 - 9:13 PM
+Quote Post
Doge

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 2, '02
From Portland, Oregon
Currently Offline

QUOTE (lagos @ Sep 29, 2004 - 9:07 AM)
my theory is that the swap runs richer then a normal alltrac. it may have somethign to do with the fact that we are running supra fuel pumps with no fpr. the fuel pump resistor pack isint pluged in either (what the hell is it for anyway).

i was driving behind DG and saw nothing but constant black smoke. i doubt an alltrac would do that with just a 3in exhaust

is there any way to get a close up picture of DG's engine bay? I think I might know why his car is doing that.
post Sep 29, 2004 - 9:26 PM
+Quote Post
jgreening

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '04
From Illinois
Currently Offline

Thanks for the post Doge. It looks like up to 12psi and 200 whp I would be ok but beyond that, you are correct - its playing with fire. I have been running 10psi so far and am probably at about 180 whp. The supra pump is going to be ordered tomorrow.

--------------------

post Sep 30, 2004 - 7:30 AM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

QUOTE (jgreening @ Sep 29, 2004 - 10:26 PM)
Thanks for the post Doge.  It looks like up to 12psi and 200 whp I would be ok but beyond that, you are correct - its playing with fire.  I have been running 10psi so far and am probably at about 180 whp.  The supra pump is going to be ordered tomorrow.

How do you figure 180whp at 12psi? The JDM 3s's with JDM ecus are rated a 225hp at 8psi so your close to 190-195 at the wheels right there. With 12psi your kicking almost 210 at the wheels, I would think.

This post has been edited by Supersprynt: Sep 30, 2004 - 7:31 AM

--------------------
post Sep 30, 2004 - 10:06 AM
+Quote Post
thedevilmaycrie

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 15, '02
From Vidor, TX
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Doge @ Sep 29, 2004 - 6:07 PM)
QUOTE (jgreening @ Sep 29, 2004 - 9:12 AM)
Lagos, I am still running the 5sfe pump.  Jayson claims it will be fine up to 18 p.s.i.  Even with the 5s pump, the mixture is way rich.  Anyway, the pump only supplies what is demanded from the ECU so, in general, the pump shouldn't act to cause rich conditions even if it is way overkill.

Also, there is a very interesting thread over on mr2oc.com that suggests you should never upgrade to a supra pump unless you upgrade the fuel rail.  It was started by Wolfkatz (sp?) and has a lot of testing to back up his claims - although I must admit, I couldn't follow much of the fluids engineering hyper talk.  Also, its quite possible that the conclusions only refer to conditions above the horsepower levels we find ourselves at - so far.

Running the N/A pump is dangerous. You're seriously just playing with fire... our pumps can pump enough fuel for the 3s.. but its RIGHT on the line. Any more power and its going to cause alot of problems. And if your pump is however many years old... its going to decrease in efficiency. I wouldn't risk it JGreening, you should get a pump asap. Here's the proof. Read the whole thing... you'll be glad you did!

N/A Fuel Pump BAD!
Turbo Fuel Pump GOOD!

The walbro fuel pump is $80 and is a piece of cake to install.. its just worth it knowing your engine will get all the fuel it needs.

And that test about the fuel pump that you talked about on mr2oc... that was a test on 550 injectors on the stock fuel rail. Having a upgraded fuel pump will do no harm to our engines... we are pretty much putting in a fuel pump that is pretty close to the alltrac ones that the engine was meant to run with.

also on the fuel pump resistor... all it does is, at idle it kicks downt the amps that is allowed to the pump... making it work less (basically turning it down) at anything above idle it kicks it back up to full power. Fuel pumps are either on full blast or off... there is no in between, unless you have a resistor... which isnt necessary

doge is right i fried my #4 piston from that.... luckly the cylider just ended up needing a little bit of honing i learned my lesson and you dont wanna use a walbo without the use of a high power regulator..... i say use the mr2 stock fuel pump but thats just my opinion from trail and error

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: May 8th, 2024 - 7:00 PM