> Speeding Tickets:Tips and Strategies?, I just got one help
post Apr 28, 2005 - 8:59 AM
+Quote Post
coustoe

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 18, '02
From Northern, Virginia
Currently Offline

Well I didn't realize it but, I was speeding 65 mph in a 50 on the highway, how can the speed limit be 50 mph on a highway? Anyways, is there a way to pay the ticket but not get it on your record (for car insurance puposes). I'm trying to figure out some pleading strategies that will work when I see the Judge next month. I already got one, I almost got in an accident with a big rig after it swerved into my lane to make it onto the off ramp, so I was shaken up (think thats good enough to get the ticket knocked down a bit).

Advice please.
post Apr 28, 2005 - 9:01 AM
+Quote Post
Jaws4God

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 27, '04
Currently Offline

Prayer for Judgement.

it will mean you plead guilty to a lesser charge and not go on your insurace, however, if you get another ticket within 3 years, it comes back and counts!

i did it once and it worked great

This post has been edited by Jaws4God: Apr 28, 2005 - 9:01 AM

--------------------
~Daniel~ No Longer Celica Owner.. moved on to a 03 WRX-EJ207
post Apr 28, 2005 - 9:07 AM
+Quote Post
coustoe

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 18, '02
From Northern, Virginia
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Jaws4God @ Apr 28, 2005 - 7:01 AM)
Prayer for Judgement.

it will mean you plead guilty to a lesser charge and not go on your insurace, however, if you get another ticket within 3 years, it comes back and counts!

i did it once and it worked great
[right][snapback]279416[/snapback][/right]

this is my first speeding ticket in my life its not like im a serial speeder, they gotta cut me a break.
post Apr 28, 2005 - 9:11 AM
+Quote Post
Digndoug

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 20, '03
From Annapolis, Md
Currently Offline

you should be fine, I got a 83-55 .. got one point and like $300 in fines. but 65-50 u should be fine. Just come up with somthign good, and dont just pay it, go to court, you might get off completley free, if the cop dosnt show.
post Apr 28, 2005 - 9:16 AM
+Quote Post
coustoe

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 18, '02
From Northern, Virginia
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Digndoug @ Apr 28, 2005 - 7:11 AM)
you should be fine, I got a 83-55 .. got one point and like $300 in fines. but 65-50 u should be fine. Just come up with somthign good, and dont just pay it, go to court, you might get off completley free, if the cop dosnt show.
[right][snapback]279422[/snapback][/right]

so how do I do it, if the cop isnt there plead not guilty? and if he is plead guilty but, beg for a lesser charge due to mitigating circumstances?
post Apr 28, 2005 - 9:27 AM
+Quote Post
Drocay

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '02
From Va Team 6gc
Currently Offline

if he's not there, they just drop the case.

--------------------
IPB Image
All I have in this world is my Balls and my Word and I'm not breaking em for no one,- Tony Montana
Team 6gc 2005
post Apr 28, 2005 - 9:34 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

i know exactly where you got that ticket
on 66 where construction starts right?

but dude just go to DMV and get your driving record
printed out, where a nice suit and show up on time

find your officer and see if he's willing to workout a lower charge or you can just go into the court room plead
NO LO CONTENDO say it like its written then show the judge that this is your first ticket and you have a clean record...he'll decided from there..

haha good thing i have your celica and you didnt get caught in it
post Apr 28, 2005 - 9:38 AM
+Quote Post
SoundSlut_dotcom

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 16, '03
Currently Offline

get a liscense in a diff state? confused.gif

--------------------
post Apr 28, 2005 - 9:42 AM
+Quote Post
darksecret

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 9, '05
From Charlotte
Currently Offline

If it's your first ticket let the DA know because they won't, chances are you might be going to Admin so the cop doesn't have to be there, never volunteer information and dress nice, also don't waste your money on a lawyer, the DA will probably automatically reduce your speed before you say anything, if you're not happy with it then speak. Ask most of the people that were in the cops suck thread I have enough tickets for a lifetime and seem to get out of a lot of them.
post Apr 28, 2005 - 9:44 AM
+Quote Post
creis

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 10, '04
From Shoreline, WA
Currently Offline

you know that the cop only shows if you request it when you mail the ticket in, if you dont then they dont have to show up. and dont lie like that, even if its true the judge will see though it. you need to say that you dont think you where going that fast, say that "I surtonly dont doubt the officer read the metter right however I'm very surton I was not going that fast, then bring up some facts about the road conditions and stuff like it it was wet or a dark road or a a buasy road, and what not to show that you remember the incedent clearly, and that you where not in a position where speeding was an option, high traffic is the best, plus mention that its posible the reading was of a differant car or was altered by distance or whatever. (never say the officer was rong or that he was at faut, always accept that the officer at least though he got a right reading saying he was in the rong will only get you in more turbble unless you can back up that he was, say if he was hidding or something, then back it up by a good description of the situation.)

remember the more prepared you are the better you look to be inocent, it shows that you did your homework witch means you belive yourself to be truly inocent witch is what really matters.

tip: do you best to offer all posible resons why you could have been speeding and dis prove all of them,

for example when i whent in for my no headlights in hours of nghtime ticket i said that the officer could have felt that wile it was past sunrise (legaly I was in the clear) that the weither could have affected the light, so I brought in the seattle times newspaper to show that it was a clear sunny day. witch was my winning argument I think.

This post has been edited by creis: Apr 28, 2005 - 9:45 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
post Apr 28, 2005 - 10:00 AM
+Quote Post
audioOutput

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Temecula, CA
Currently Offline

hey..
kinda of funny you brought this up as im going to see the judge on may 5th for a speeding ticket..

i was going 94 on a 55...
i got away with just a 385 dollar ticket considering how fast i was going..

but my advice.. when u go to court... do dress nice, and on time...
and when its your turn to go up (from past experences, there will be a lot of people waiting to see the judge)... just act yourself...

dont try to say something that will make you look like your full of crap..

i remember i went to a judge once, and some guy made up some stupid story that hi speedometer was broken and he didnt know he was going 112 MPH, on a bike.

be polite, and say 'yes, your honor' after she tells you something or you tell her something..

since this is your first offence... the judge will probally give you the option of going to traffic school, if not, request it.. something like 'i would also like to know ifi would be eligible for traffic school, your honor'.. traffic school will take your points of your driving record... and the insurance company only looks at your driving record... so youll be good with insurance...

keep in mind tho... your records will show that you got a ticket. for up to 5 years (in CA anyways) .. not your driving record... just your record.. and insurance companies wont look at that...

also.. if you cant afford the whole ticket at once... also ask the judge if you can pay the fine in installments... most of the time the judge will give you a price to pay per month... if you still cant pay it... tell her that you cant... explain why....and request a lower installment for a longer term..

if youre polite... then most of the time they will give it to you...

well thats all i can think of right now...
i hope this helps a lil... by the way.. im an MP.. so i know a lil bout the system (not a whole lot.. but enough) smile.gif... that got cought speeding in the celi frown.gif

well good luck with the ticket...
and dont stress bout it... youll be fine...

-darryll
post Apr 28, 2005 - 10:02 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

wow you people outside of VA are wack we have different laws here
the OFFICER MUST show up for your trail to be held in VA

you never ever give an intention that the cop was wrong esp. if you live were coustoe and i live

oh and kirk......speaking of driving school.. GO BEFORE court
it will help out a good amount with the judge normally that shows you care enough and want to improve

so go get
1) DMV record
2) go take a driving class (i can tell you the info)
3) dress nice
4) yes your honor....no your honor
5) don't talk if you don't have to aka NO STORIES NO DISCRIPTIONS NO NOTHING
just answer as briefly as you can and make it short no excess

This post has been edited by playr158: Apr 28, 2005 - 10:05 AM
post Apr 28, 2005 - 10:09 AM
+Quote Post
darksecret

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 9, '05
From Charlotte
Currently Offline

Is it District or Admin?
post Apr 28, 2005 - 10:12 AM
+Quote Post
coustoe

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 18, '02
From Northern, Virginia
Currently Offline

QUOTE(playr158 @ Apr 28, 2005 - 8:02 AM)
wow you people outside of VA are wack we have different laws here
the OFFICER MUST show up for your trail to be held in VA

you never ever give an intention that the cop was wrong esp. if you live were coustoe and i live

oh and kirk......speaking of driving school.. GO BEFORE court
it will help out a good amount with the judge normally that shows you care enough and want to improve

so go get
1) DMV record
2) go take a driving class (i can tell you the info)
3) dress nice
4) yes your honor....no your honor
5) don't talk if you don't have to aka NO STORIES NO DISCRIPTIONS NO NOTHING
just answer as briefly as you can and make it short no excess
[right][snapback]279461[/snapback][/right]

sweet, think thats what i needed to know, I don't really care about paying for the ticket, i just don't want it on my record. Driving schools..... these aren't week long courses are they?
post Apr 28, 2005 - 10:14 AM
+Quote Post
coustoe

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 18, '02
From Northern, Virginia
Currently Offline

QUOTE(darksecret @ Apr 28, 2005 - 8:09 AM)
Is it District or Admin?
[right][snapback]279464[/snapback][/right]

whats district and admin?
post Apr 28, 2005 - 10:35 AM
+Quote Post
Drocay

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '02
From Va Team 6gc
Currently Offline

nope the course is like one saterday 8 hours.

--------------------
IPB Image
All I have in this world is my Balls and my Word and I'm not breaking em for no one,- Tony Montana
Team 6gc 2005
post Apr 28, 2005 - 10:47 AM
+Quote Post
darksecret

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 9, '05
From Charlotte
Currently Offline

District is criminal court, if you get a reckless or other larger offence, Admin is basically for seat belt tickets and low speeding tickets. In NC anything 15mph or over is reckless so it goes to district, but it's up to the officer. In NC the course is 4 days, 9 hours a day.

This post has been edited by darksecret: Apr 28, 2005 - 10:48 AM
post Apr 28, 2005 - 4:09 PM
+Quote Post
javi714

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 12, '05
From chicago (ft. hood)
Currently Offline

pay ythe ticket and take the class and the ticket won't be in your record, or join the military and they will give you warnings. I've been stop twice going 90 on a 65 and all I have was warnings thanx to the army biggrin.gif ...

--------------------
O.I.F VETERAN 8 MAR 04 TO 17 MAR 05

2001 STRATUS R/T
1996 CELICA ST 25TH ANNIV

My Cardomain
post Apr 28, 2005 - 6:30 PM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

he has military ID wink.gif
and works for the army at quantico

and yes the ticket will still be on his record regardless of taking the class or not
post Apr 28, 2005 - 7:07 PM
+Quote Post
94GT

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 25, '04
From Fairfield, CA
Currently Offline

Try this (I hear it used to work). When you pay your fine, write the check for 1 dollar over the amount (mail it in). The state will then cut you a check for 1.00 and mail it back. I hear that if you never cash the check, the file never closes and the points don't get added until all the financial transactions are complete. Good luck!

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: June 16th, 2024 - 1:29 AM